Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen table placement - suggestions??

Posted by Chloe8 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 19:28

We're working on the layout for our remodel, and I'm currently wondering about the placement for our kitchen table. We have a lot of walkways through the area- door to laundry room/garage, opening to family room, opening to dining room, door to basement stairs, and back door to patio. Plopped into the middle of this is space for a round table. Is this crazy? Here's the layout from the original kitchen, with my notes about locations:
original-kitchen-plan-with-text

And here are a few photos, with a temporary table in place.

Looking towards family room:
Untitled

Looking towards kitchen area (dark chairs are about where the island would be):
Untitled

As an alternative, I'm wondering if we should move the table area toward the angled wall, and have more of a banquette there - although I know that there are pros & cons of that possibility. Here's the angled wall, which would possibly move the table away from some of the traffic patterns:
Untitled

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen table placement - suggestions??

The table will always be in the wrong spot for eating, but it will be in the perfect spot to be the major dumping ground for all kinds of flotsam. I'd open up the wall to the DR and eat all of the meals there. You don't need 3 spaces to eat all within several steps of each other. The island can orient differently with that wall gone and you can use the angled wall for pantry cabinets to be able to put the cooktop on the wall next to the laundry room.

o
RE: Kitchen table placement - suggestions??

Thanks for your thoughts, live_wire_oak. DH has been suggesting that as well - the tiny (!) issue is that we just had all of the wood floors refinished in July, and removing the wall would require redoing the floors again! Sigh. But we'll definitely need to think that one through. I'm wondering where the fridge should go if we removed the wall to the dining room? Would it work over on the angled wall?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here