Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pricklypearcactus

Limestone (Arctic Gray) Tile Floor?

13 years ago

Does anyone have limestone tile floors in the kitchen? How do they hold up? Do you like them? I was initially considering honed slate and found some gorgeous Arctic Gray limestone tiles that are just stunning. I would love to hear any opinions about limestone as a flooring option for the kitchen.

Comments (6)

• 13 years ago

I just bought it in honed "ivory rustic" I LOVE it. Some of the cons: it can etch (i think that will just add to the look). It may stain (seal it). Filler can fall out (re-fill it). Stone flooring can be cold (either install in floor heating, or live with it...personally, that is not a concern). They are expensive (yes). I hesitated before buying it as it was not cheap and I wasn't sure it would be practical. I ultimately decided that it was just too beautiful - can't wait for them to be installed in November.

• 13 years ago

Haven't got mine in yet either...it's a lovely golden sand colored, exactly the color I think of the Sahara desert as being, which is logical, because that's where it comes from!

I had been worried, but tried a variety of "stuff" spilled on it...olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette, ketchup and found that yes, it etched when left overnight. But that the variation in the tiles pretty much disguises the flaws.

And on advice of GW's tile guru Bill Vincent, I have purchased 511 Porous Plus to seal it. Expensive, but everyone who uses it swears by it.

• 13 years ago

Thank you for sharing. I'm glad to know others are using limestone as well. I'll have to try etching my sample to see how it looks and whether it bothers me. I'm not certain whether etching will be a major concern or not. I'm not certain how frequently we spill acidic foods. I am balking a little at the price (more than twice the cost of the slate I liked), but it is so beautiful.

• 13 years ago

Prickly, we have limestone tile floors and love them! They run from the front door and through the foyer all the way through the kitchen. Almost two years old, LOTS of cooking and entertaining, and they are holding up really well. They're also heated which is especially nice in the fall and winter.

We don't have kids which I'm sure is a major "spill" factor for many, and we also haven't (knock on wood) had a major mishap with something like red wine. But, as mentioned, we do cook and entertain lots.

Here are a couple of pix to give you an idea of what they look like:

The second photo gives an idea of the true colour. What we love is that depending on the light the colour really varies, giving great texture to the room.

Good luck with your choice!
    Eliz

• 13 years ago

Oh wow, Eliz! Those limestone floors are beautiful! I just love the texture. We don't have children either, so hopefully that should decrease the spill factor for us as well. We do have a large dog and from time to time dog-sit others. For the most part, messes on the floors come from the dog(s). I am a little concerned about their nails scratching. Do scratches look terrible with the limestone?

• 13 years ago

P, we have an indoor cat and although I try to be diligent about trimming her nails, well, ahem....they're often clicking away on the floor - and boy can she scamper fast! Haven't noticed any really visible scratches. The texture of the stone really minimises any, I think.

And, in re-reading the other posters' comments, esp Research Queen, those inevitable spots/scratches/etches are part and parcel with this material. If you're comfortable with everything not being pristine, it will work. You may also want to get a sample and do what RQ did, by experimenting with different things to see the true effect of etching etc.

Keep us posted on your choices from a bunch of limestone fans!

Eliz