Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vas711

"White" Kitchen Cabinets

vas711
9 years ago

Hello...
Just wondering if anyone out there has used or has had any experience with using Ben Moore White 01 for kitchen cabinets?
I have sampled all the usual ones...cloud white, white dove, pure white, Chantilly white, white heron, simply white...I could go on and on.
I'm at the eleventh hour (holding my cabinet maker up) and after meeting with him today decided to just go with Ben Moore white 01 because it seems like the only white that I don't see any yellow or green or gray.
I'm using white Calacatta gold on my countertops which has a good amount of gray veining in it and am going to have white oak hardwood floors stained with a rich stain either a Jacobean or dark walnut.
I would welcome and appreciate any input.

Comments (11)

• aam31
    9 years ago

What about SW Super White?

• vas711
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks...I'm wondering if Super White is 01? The sample that Im leaning towards that my cabinet maker had just said 01 white....I'll have to look into the super white...much appreciated:)

• marg143
    9 years ago

Hi, I just had my new cabinets painted BM Super White. Went that direction because it's a small kitchen, no natural light, my other trim is painted very nearly that, and I'm keeping white appliances. Cabinet maker and designer both suggested that color, in particular because it wouldn't go towards other colors. I also considered White Dove in the Final Two choices (or Dove White - whichever it is for BM) as it is a little softer and might blend better with some counters (yet TBD). But decided on Super White because of the trim and appliance compatibility.

My cabinet maker assured me it would not be "too stark" - a biggest fear. And he is right, I don't think it's too stark. It is quite white, and some counter choices may have gone better with a softer White Dove... but I like it. It's not at all the bluish white of appliances, but they don't stick out incompatibly, either.

HTH

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Did you try samples on your walls in different lights?

That's really the only way you're going to find the perfect white. Take it from someone who painted her cabinets THREE TIMES with the perfect color -- only to find it too blue. Evidently my windows have a blue tint on them.

BTW. Why is white in quotation marks in the subject?

• vas711
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Marg143...very helpful... I wonder how different super white 02 is to white 01? I did like the sprayed sample that my cabinet maker showed me, it looked really clean, clear almost a brilliant white. It seems that everyone leans towards white cloud or dove white for there cabinets...it looks beautiful when I see it but for my space I don't want to see a creamy yellow white. I know I'm probably overthinking it but I have to live with my decision for along time! Thanks again! I'll keep you posted:)

• vas711
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi CEFreeman..unfortunately House is under construction (total rehab). My kitchen/dining room windows are boarded as we are putting in new window and french doors and the walls are not Sheetrocked yet! So no natural light. We aren't currently living there so I'm going on putting my samples all 21 of them next to a very white sheet of The Ben Moore paint boards that they sell to put samples on.
    The "white" was in quotations because there are so many shades of white! lol:) thanks, I appreciate your input!

• Christina03
    9 years ago

I think that the White Dove would be beautiful ,it has a slight gray undertone.

• vas711
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Christina...I really like White Dove, but felt that it may have a yellow or creamy undertone to it in my space, being that my kitchen is in the back of the house and gets later afternoon sun. It seems like the majority of people choose the white dove, maybe I should just go with it. I was wanting a very crisp white and by process of elimination I was leaning towards the 01 white, but maybe it will be to stark or chalky. I'm really second guessing myself...I tend to do that!

• marg143
    9 years ago

vas711, do you have a BM paint outlet that could tell you about the "Super White" vs. "01"? I'm not sure if what I have is Super White "02" or not; my online search called it "PM1" (see link). The designer I was consulting with (years of experience) said Cloud White does go yellow. She gave me the White Dove or Super White as the best two choices, stating that White Dove is a little softer. She used the description "crisp" for Super White. (And she said, Simply White is the "whitest of all" - so to avoid that if I didn't want "too white".) It was a hard choice for me too, so I sympathize; I really, really didn't want chalky! Both she and my cabinet maker said that either choice would be good. I'm not sure that either choice is "perfect", but I do like what I ended up with.

One other thing - I could tell a difference when I put White Dove and Super White (painted samples) next to a sample of countertops I was considering. Problem was, I hadn't decided on the countertop. But for some counters, Dove was best, and other, Super was. Maybe you've done that already with your counter samples.

Here is a link that might be useful: Super White

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Having had our walls painted with BM White 01, and then repainted with BM Super White, I can at least share our observations. 01, seemed a bit colder and more brittle looking. The paint/finish might have been a factor (I forget which paint; Regal Velvet? Select? It's listed in our original kitchen reveal post/info. I know we used eggshell finish). We repainted a few years after completing our kitchen, using the Super White (mixed up in Aura paint, matte finish on walls, satin finish on baseboards). The Super White is a very clean, white, and actually looks warmer than the 01 did, without looking yellow, or blue, or anything other than pure white.

We also used Super White on all the ceilings in our house, in Aura matte finish.

• vas711
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the information! This has really helped. if it's not to late I am going to call my cabinet guy tomorrow and go with the Super White, hopefully he didn't order the 01! I'll keep you posted, Thanks again:)