Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annkh_nd

Completely OT: Snow

annkh_nd
9 years ago

Five days ago it was 86 degrees, and I was swimming in the neighbors' pool. Now we have a storm coming in that could produce accumulated snow (usually snow this time of year melts when it hits the warm ground). We aren't expected to see 50 again for almost a week.

Gotta love North Dakota! At least the cold should take care of the mosquitoes.

Comments (20)

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

We enjoyed a weekend of 80's at the beach, in between the stupid fall cold and furnace running. Not just your place.

• purrus
    9 years ago

All I have to say about this is WHAT THE HELL. In my area as well. WTH.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

What is snow? ...and what pray tell are mosquitoes?

sorry, couldn't resist So Cal native ;)

Although it was a bit warm at the beach today at 86*, but with 11% humidity, and a refreshing 69* ocean, I'll take it! :)

edit to add: Of course this response leaves me wide open to "What are earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, and TRAFFIC?! ...there are always tradeoffs;)

This post was edited by ctycdm on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 23:22

• dawn_t
    9 years ago

Ugh! Straight north of you (Manitoba) and had to change from t-shirts and shorts to sweaters/jackets/long johns this afternoon :(

Looking at ++ rain/snow mix with high winds over the next couple of days. Glad I picked the last of the tomatoes today. Have to rescue the rosemary bush yet....

I hear you re: mosquitoes. I actually had to light a smudge again last week for the horses - they were going crazy with the bugs again!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Calgary had that freak snow week two weeks ago; snowed over 3 day span. Leaves still are on the trees!
    Casey

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

106 in the summer, 40 below in the winter.
    Nothing between us and Canada was Zahl, Ambrose and cottonwood lake.

4 seasons a year, instead of the truly left coast, 2 seasons a day, just 20min. to Big Bear Lake, and snow.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I didn't realize the weather was as crazy in other places as it is here.

I always laugh when I see space saving recommendations of packing up out of season clothes. What are those exactly?
    I recently read that my town holds the record for the most extreme temperature change in one hour when it dropped 44 degrees. On December 12, 1919 the temperature was 67 degrees at noon. At 1 pm, the temperature was 23 degrees. By 7 pm, it was one degree above zero.

Thankfully, I haven't ever experienced a change quite THAT extreme, but it isn't uncommon for us to have fluctuations of 50 degrees in a day. Makes getting dressed in the morning REALLY difficult.

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

California in extreme drought for the fourth year. Haven't seen appreciable rain water for years! Today in NorCal is upwards of 80 degrees and not likely to get cooler for a bit.

My sister in Pennsylvania is ready to steel herself for another extreme snow season this Winter. All last year she wept through the crazy snow piles while we here were dry and sunny. Wish we could have some of that snow/water that tortured the East Coast last year!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I'm in SoCal, but in the mountains around 6500', so we do (or should) get snow. The drought has been pretty bad and we were hoping to make up for it this year with a decent snow pack. Doesn't look it will happen, though.

But yes, we've still had so wild temperature swings!

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

That is the single, most important reason I don't live in MI, where I was borned 'n raised.

Here in MD, things are more temperate until you hit the late July/early August 100+ heat. This year, I have barely used my air conditioning. I've produced more electricity than I've used, which is ultra cool. (NPI)

Knowing cold, I know it's not cold here. Knowing snow? In the 34 years I've lived here, there have been THREE snow storms that rivaled what I grew up with. Two of them in winter of 2011.

Heat? Just hate it hate it hate it.
    We're running mind 70s right now, cooler at night. I just pray for rain, because no matter what happens around me, I get it one in 7 or 8 storms.

I'm just glad it hasn't been sunny the past few days. Others got rain, but I got just beautiful, warm, comfortable days. I've always wished I lived in the PNW for its wet, lush climate.

I have one word for those of you living in crazy climates: Move. Life's too short....

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Typical fall weather, here...just hope we don't get too cold, until I get the apples this weekend! They're red and beautiful :)

Still so much to do, before serious snow. I hope it waits until December this year. Or it could be next week...hope not!

As much as I don't like the snow when it gets to be too much, it often is very pretty and covers up all the dead grass in the fields. As long as we can get out of our driveway and down to feed the horses...it's worth it for the water!

Sorry for the CA people and the seemingly endless drought :(

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Wow, those 50 degree swings in one day sound crazy!

This post was edited by ctycdm on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 9:39

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

lol rub it in, SoCal - you can keep your earthquakes! As someone who just endured one of the most ridiculous winters of my short lifetime, I must say I feel your pain annkh!! Being in WI was bad, ND must have been the polar vortex from hell! Will someone just tell Canada to keep their stupid air where it belongs?! (wink wink, Calgary, I'm looking at you)

Born in Albuquerque, raised in Phoenix I will say I wouldn't trade Wisconsin for the world. Mosquitoes be damned, I love having 4 seasons. The trees here are beautiful this year, and I find that by the time I'm sick of one season, the next is quickly on its heels anyway. Plus, wardrobe changes! Warm cozy fires, hot chocolate, BUNNY SLIPPERS! AND much to DH's dismay, I don't have to shave my legs for at LEAST six months! LOL

• annkh_nd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I actually don't mind winter. I'm not crazy about strong, cold wind, but cold alone I can take. I've been deer hunting when the temp at sunrise was -14ðF.

I do NOT like the heat! I was in Phoenix in May, and it was only in the high 80's, but I was miserable. We get that warm (and more) in the summer, but we have time to adapt - the same way we adapt to gradual cooling in the fall.

Swen is right - there's no bad weather, just bad wardrobe! I can always put on more clothes to stay warm, but there's a limit to what I can take off. And what if I'm still hot then?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

ctcdm, I lived in north San Diego county for many years and certain had mosquitos! The only place I've ever been that didn't have them was Phoenix.

The past few years they have been terrible here, and our unusual cold last winter didn't do a thing to diminish their numbers (even though I lost a few well-established plants).

Now it is supposed to hit the high 30s overnight Saturday-Sunday here. I am not prepared to haul all of my potted plants into the garage!

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Okay...I thought this was unusual temperatures! LOL It's already been in the low 20s here, but that's typical. If it's cloudy enough to rain, it stays warm enough not to snow...but when it's clear, it drops down pretty low.

Our first freeze is usually end of August (just at my house/creek) but mid-September for everyone else in the area.

We have mosquitoes in the summer, but by mid-July they're mostly gone. All the birds, frogs and other bugs in the creek seem to take care of that problem :)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Lavender, maybe I missed it but where are you?

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Love the snow!
    Love hot summers!

Freeman - grew up in PA and many N'easters blizzards. The Alberta clippers hitting Michigan are minor league in comparison.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

CEF- I've lived here my entire life. I can't imagine attempting to adjust to another locales weather pattern/s at this point.

"Better the devil you know" as my mom would say.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

a2gemini, ever heard of The Lake Effect? Try going to college in Kalamazoo, MI, where the crap comes across flat WI, picks up speed and moisture over lake MI, hits the W. coast of MI and SPLAMBAM, dumps feet of the stuff on Kalamazoo and other towns along that longitude. OMG.

In college, I remember jumping out of 3rd story dorm windows into the snow banks that covered the 2nd story windows. Not the norm, of course, but obviously I was traumatized. Never forgot it.

Mosquitos. I hear they're bad around here, but I evidently carry the "I'm invisible to bugs" gene. I, my father, and now my niece don't even notice bugs. They just don't even land on us. I can sit out on my porch, loving the night, but I must sit alone, because evidently anyone who might join me can only last a few minutes before going insane.

And no, I don't think that's attributable to my company.

Supposed to go down to the 40s tonight. Last night I slept with my slider door cracked. Lovely!