Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
capeterson_tx

How-to DIY a good cabinet finish?

capeterson_tx
9 years ago

We are planning on ordering cabinets from Barker, (also happy to hear any feedback about them!). Initially we planned on having the cabinets finished by Barker, we want them to be painted the Pure White that they offer and have even used that as the trim color in other areas of our home anticipating that as our cabinet color.

However! We purchased a very inexpensive paint sprayer (I think this one: Critter Spray Products 22032 118SG Siphon Gun ) over the summer and have loved it to refinish a few smaller projects. I am not at all interested in hand painting anything, and I don't think the spray gun we have is appropriate, but we do have a 240 volt/130 psi air compressor.

So! My question is, how do contractors site finish cabinets? I have seen pictures of cabinets being sprayed installed. Would we have access to the correct paint sprayer/paint to get a good finish? Has anyone watched this process through their contractor or done it themselves?

Would it be worth the cost savings? The finishing cost from Barker is a couple of thousand, approx. 40% of the total cabinetry cost. We are pretty comfortable putting in labor as long as we can get a good end product with our skills.

Comments (5)