Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccintx

IKEA cabinets with custom doors?

ccintx
12 years ago

I'd love to see and hear about any of your kitchens that have IKEA cabinets with custom doors and drawer fronts? How hard was it to make it work?

Comments (12)

• prill
    12 years ago

Remodelfla has them... They're beautiful. I'm sure she'll chime in. Not sure if she's in the finished kitchen blog.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Awesome and not at all hard to do. They pre-bore the holes for you. We got the premium QS oak with just a clear coat. I have a thing for the beauty of natural wood which is why we paid extra for the premium. The extra flecks and graining dont show up so much on pics but truly wonderful in person. Here's few pics (and sorry to those who have seen them a dozen times) Oh... and we're not done. Have taken like a 5 month hiatus!

And just cause it pleases me... a closeup of some of the flecking.

• alexisls
    12 years ago

Remodelfla - What a GORGEOUS kitchen you have!!!

• semihandmade
    12 years ago

Another great option for custom IKEA doors in everything from one-of-a-kind veneers and custom laminates to reclaimed lumber is Semihandmade; we are LA-based and ship all over the country.

http://semihandmadedoors.com/

Give the website a look!

Here is a link that might be useful: Semihandmade

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

john... you've been a member for awhile so I'm sure you know that solicitations are frowned upon on this forum. We would love your advice or input when members have questions. If you want to tell people to email you through your link for information on how you can help them; that's seems less solicitous. And FWIW... I'll admit that your site shows some beautiful work.

Thanks so much for the compliment ZoeCat. I really really LOVE my kitchen. And CC... my drawer/door fronts are all 3/4" solid QS oak.

• ccintx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this, but thanks so much for your feedback and remodelfla for the photos. Very pretty kitchen. I love the QS oak.

I spent another day at IKEA just scoping things out and taking a closer look at the cabinets and how they arranged the kitchens. Great ideas for storage and maximizing space. I loved the Rubrik (stainless steel) island I saw, but how would that be in my country kitchen with stained perimeter cabs?? Very unique I'd say! I also checked out the Scherr's website. Nice stuff there too. This is all very tempting, plus I really like the way they maximize space. I thought it was so cool that a 30" drawer could hold plates, saucers, bowls, glasses, and 3 containers for forks, spoons, and knives. How clever to put everything you would need to set the table in ONE drawer. Great ideas if nothing else. Also, the drawer inserts were ingenious.
    Sooo, I bought a 30" base with drawers to "test" out in my yucky current kitchen. I'll order the drawer fronts from Scherr's and I'll just see how it goes. I'm excited!

Thanks again for the feedback! : )

• shelayne
    12 years ago

We did it as well.

We ordered our doors from Advantage Cabinet Company out of Mississippi. For 69 door and drawer fronts, including two different panel designs and 5 tall pantry doors, our cost was less than $2000, delivered. For an additional $1300 we could have had them finish our doors (any SW paint or stain), but we did them ourselves with an airless sprayer, and they look beautiful.

We are thrilled with our "custom IKEA" kitchen. :^D

I have not posted finished pictures yet, but we are in the homestretch--FINALLY! ;^)

• sjerin
    12 years ago

Zoecat-- Any chance you live in the SF Bay area? I'm having a hard time finding someone who will install only, though I'm just beginning my search. It seems to me installers only want to work with what they have built! The contractor I plan on using doesn't do the cabs and I'm trying to find some that are low on voc's.

• BalTra
    12 years ago

I don't have a result to share - am still in process of destruction and am using Ikea + Scherrs

But I'll share that I had an incredibly difficult time finding a contractor who was not afraid of using them - or not totally obnoxious about it.

Ultimately I lucked out. Found a craftsman/contractor who does beautiful custom work who also thinks ikea is a solid deal & so is happy to work with it.

Try the ikea fans website. The people on there may be able to help you find a contractor near you. But look around for yourself, too. I'd argue that you want someone flexible and able to work with a variety of systems and materials in any case!

• alexisls
    12 years ago

sjerin -

You should definitely check out ikeafans and get in touch with Kayla. She posts there all the time and is an experienced Ikea installer based in the East Bay. She partners with Chuck, the installer who's doing my kitchen (I'm on the east coast).

Feel free to message me directly if you want more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kayla's Kitchen Cabinets

• alexisls
    12 years ago

bump for sjerin