Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Can opener

mrspete
11 years ago

I know it's a small question, but where do y'all keep your can openers? They never show in anyone's pictures. I have always used just a hand-held can opener -- partly because I am short on electrical outlets in my kitchen. But I'm thinking I'd like to plan a spot for an electric model in my new kitchen.

Comments (13)

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Ours is in the "found space" cabinet (6" deep, behind our mixer cabinet):

I don't use it often (I use the hand-held, old fashioned non-electric one, unless I have a lot of cans to open), so no need to keep it out on the counter in our kitchen.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

I don't like things on my counter. I keep mine in my corner susan with all my other small appliances.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I grew up with electric and had one for years until I looked at the grunge. I now have a manual decrimper in a drawer. No more grunge!

• carybk
    11 years ago

Manual in a drawer-- sorry!

• taggie
    11 years ago

I got the one-touch can opener several years ago and it is the best thing since canned beer. Could never go back to an electric can opener now. You would have to pry it out of my cold dead fingers.

Just fits in your regular cutlery drawer, and so easy to use.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Manual in a drawer. Like a2gemini, my electric was disgusting. Bonus is that it's quiet and doesn't cause my cats to rush into the kitchen hoping I just opened a can of fishy delights.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

my electric one sits on the counter ... mine is a working kitchen so leaving useful things out is fine by me.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I use a hand one that opens along the side of the lid. It's in a drawer with cooking utensils.

I also didn't like the crud on the electric and wanted to go to the side opening type. the electric one went in the trash.

I don't use a lot of canned stuff so I probably don't open a can or 2 a wk. 2 would make it a busy wk for me!

• springroz
    11 years ago

The Swing-a- Way is the way to go! I always HATED the electric ones! I don't use a ton of cans, either.

Nancy

• Buehl
    11 years ago

Ours also sits out on the counter, although it isn't used much. You can easily remove the "pieces" and toss them in the DW if they get "grungy".

I used to use a manual one, but I think I may have a touch of arthritis in my hands, so I finally got an electric one. It cuts/opens from the side so no sharp edges.

More and more, though, manufacturers are using the "tab tops". I have an opener for that as well...you just slip it under the tab and lift.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I love tab top cans, but whenever I open one, no matter what the contents are, all the cats come running.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

Ha ha Linelle, I so get that! I think mine can differentiate the sound frequency of a cat food or tuna can versus a can of black beans

• poohpup
    11 years ago

I have several manual that I keep in a drawer. They get washed after each use. Just toss them in the dishwasher. Electric can openers gross me out with the grunge factor.