Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wishiwasinoz

Soap dispenser - yay or nay?

wishiwasinoz
10 years ago

Our countertop installation starts tomorrow. I need to decide about a soap dispenser by tomorrow. I've only ever had cheapo ones, & the soap inevitably came out of the middle parts & the thing was always kind of gunky. Therefore, I don't really think I want one. Can you convince me on the virtues of a better quality soap pump? I don't mind a soap container being on the counter during clean up. I stow it under the sink when not in use.

Also, my mom rigged her own version Never Empty (sp?) many, many years ago (her million dollar idea she never brought to fruition), so I know about that cool contraption.

Comments (27)

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

I'm with you! The built in soap dispenser at our old house was always gunky, no matter how hard I worked to clean it. With our new house, I decided to just use a disposable soap dispenser - or a permanent one that looks nice and I can toss in the dishwasher when I think it really needs cleaning. I might also keep it in the tilt out under the sink - I like clean, obstacle free counters and sink.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I'm skipping it this time around. I'm either going to put in a nice bathroom one (the kind that goes on the wall, but is "portable"), or I'll keep the soap under the sink when not in use.

• Lake_Girl
    10 years ago

I liked mine so much, I got another one. Both my faucets were Delta, so I think that's a good quality brand. Both have functioned well.

• corgimum
    10 years ago

I'm a big fan of soap dispensers. But I have never had gunking problems with mine. I buy Moen and have them at 3 bathroom sinks and the kitchen sink.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    10 years ago

Do you put the dish soap, or hand soap, in the dispenser? Or do you use dish soap for both?

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

wishiwasinoz - I will need to make the same decision. I haven't had one in the past and I'm leaning towards going without again. I'm with gladys in that I like to keep my counters as clear as possible. I thought I'd either purchase a pretty little tray of some sort and set a nice bottle of hand soap and maybe hand lotion on it; or just store it under the sink and out of sight.

• Emily Mathis
    10 years ago

I don't like them at all. Filling them is irritating, the push-part often feels like it pushes at an angle (i.e. it's not steady enough), and well, yea. I have a nice stainless-looking one on the counter that I've had for years that works perfectly with one hand.

• magsnj
    10 years ago

I was using a vintage sink so I had 4 holes to fill. This caused me to get my first soap dispenser. I haven't come across any of the issues listed above and I have to say, I'm quite impressed with it. That said, it is new, and I haven't had to refill it yet. It's a Delta and I'm very imressed with it so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soap Dispenser

• User
    10 years ago

I would never go back to not having an installed soap dispenser. I like the lack of clutter. I have 2 KWC Primo dispensers on my prep and cleanup sinks for 8 years with no problems. They work very well. I use undiluted Dawn.

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

i love having the built-in soap dispensers in the kitchen. it keeps the counter clutter down for me and we set up the nevermt and it is awesome to always have soap for dishes. we are not doing it in the bathroom though since i prefer to have decorative soap dispensers there and like to switch out my scented soaps.

• chicgeek
    10 years ago

We opted not to have a built in dispenser and have 2 oil rubbed bronze dispensers on either side of our faucet in our new kitchen: 1 for dish soap and the other for hand soap. I found some with styling that was very complementary to our faucets.

We had a built in dispenser when we replaced our previous faucet a few years ago. it always dripped and we didn't like that it was positioned over just one of our double sinks.

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

So - is there a reason to have hand soap at/near the sink as well as dishwashing soap? I'm at the point of just planning on keeping dish soap at the sink; if someone wants to "properly" wash their hands, they can use the soap in the bathroom. Less "stuff", even if it winds up living under the kitchen sink.

• jesshs
    10 years ago

No, I do not want a soap dispenser. The one in this house is just nasty. Refilling it is a pain. We used it at first, but then quickly stopped. I will be glad to not clean around it. I also can't wait to get rid of the sprayer that doesn't work and stop cleaning around that as well. I plan on a single hole faucet with lever and pull down sprayer. We may also add a hot water tap. But that is it for stuff to clean around at the sink.

• corgimum
    10 years ago

Gladys1924- I switched from hand soap to dish soap when we remodeled. We wash our hands at the kitchen sink and dish soap is just fine. I use hand soaps in the bathrooms and have no problems with leaking or gunked up dispensers.

• miruca
    10 years ago

Have one just installed with a Never MT - seems to be working great - like the lack of clutter.

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol, these responses were what I was afraid of! I didn't tally, but maybe 60/40 or 70/30. Argh, what to do? 1st World problems, indeedy!

Still undecided...

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

With a good setup it just comes down to personal preference, as you can see. With a quality built-in pump and a NeverMT, there's no gunk and no refilling. With a pretty portable pump, it can be decorative or hidden away when not in use.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

I didn't get one. I didn't want another thing to clean around. Also, I wanted to be able to squirt dish soap wherever I wanted it. I keep the bottle under the sink except when I'm using it. It hasn't been a problem.

Here's the thread where I asked this question.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soap dispensers redux

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I love my Waterstone and Never-MT!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    10 years ago

I'm glad I did it. I put dishwashing liquid at the clean-up sink and hand soap at the prep sink. I use them all the time and like that they are always there and don't take up any space. No problem with gunk in my first 16 months or so. I should switch to the never-mt, but I haven't had to fill them that often.

• hazeldazel
    10 years ago

I don't like them - they're a pain to fill and keep clean, and what if I want to put soap in a big pan or on the other side of the sink? I also don't get the need for two types of soap in the kitchen.

• corgimum
    10 years ago

As far as putting soap in a pan, you stick the pan under the dispenser. When I had a double sink, I always washed on the same side so that's where my dispenser was located. Now I have a single sink and will never go back. But, that's a discussion for another thread...

• zeebee
    10 years ago

Yea here. Can't wait to get rid of my always-sticky bottle of dish soap.

• sayde
    10 years ago

I did a complete reversal on this. I definitely did not want one. But we had a hole for the water filter and then hated the look of the filter faucets that went with our main faucet-- too big and clunky. So we decided to put a soap dispenser into the vacated water filter hole. Have to say I really do like it. Would do it again. Also, at first did not like not having a water filter faucet. But now like using the Mavea system so you can have a big pitcher of filtered water cold in the fridge.

• nadiam1000
    10 years ago

I decided to put a soap dispenser in with our Vigo pre rinse faucet. With the undermount sink I needed to decide on drill holes in the granite. I cannot comment on how well it works because we have not moved in yet. My decision was based on not wanting a soap bottle on the counter and also, I hope to be able to use the hole for a hot water dispenser at some later date, if we decide to go that route. Hopefully, it will not be messy or hard to use. I have had them before and they were convenient.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I keep hand soap in mine. I started with dish soap but realized I only use dish soap once or twice a day, but I wash my hands many times. I thought it'd be gentler on my hands to switch to hand soap.

I have a Kohler with a 16 oz top fill bottle, and it's easy to refill about every two months. It doesn't collect gunk, nor is it hard to clean around.

• janeb_md
    10 years ago

I have 2 sinks, both with grohe dispensers and never mt systems. BUT - they both clog up. I can't figure out if it's the dispenser itself or the never mt system, and I'm thinking about going back to the original soap containers that came with the dispensers, if I can: 1. remember what they look like; 2. can find them; and 3. can figure out how they work. Does anyone have Grohe dispensers? Are the bottles plastic or metal? What do the tops look like? (I've tried the Grohe website, but haven't found much useful information. )