Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Breakfast Bar Ledge overhang?

Posted by butterfly1117 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 19:10

HI, I would like to put a breakfast bar on the half wall between my kitchen and my family room.
Does anyone know how much of an overhang I should have? My breakfast area is 12 x 12 feet .
The wall I want to put it on is 5 inches wide.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Breakfast Bar Ledge overhang?

Its recommended to have 12" overhang for bar height, 15" for counter height.

o

Thank you.
Do you have any recommendations for any particular braces/brackets.

o

FYI...The #s DebraK2008 provided are the minimum recommended clear knee/leg space overhangs. If you have room to go a few inches deeper, I'd do it - especially if it's bar-height. Even 17" (5" + 12") isn't much when it comes to having space for plates + glasses (assuming you plan to eat at the counter, that is!) If you have a family that's even moderately tall, I also recommend going at least 3" deeper. We have 15" (counter-height) and I wish we had gone with 18". My DH and DS don't sit at our counter b/c 15" isn't enough! I'm OK with it, but my knees do brush the back of the cabinets when I'm sitting at the counter - and I'm only 5'10".

As to brackets/braces - it depends on what you like. Some people have corbels that match their Kitchen cabinets (or, in your case, they could match whatever you have in the Family Room). Others prefer to have the brackets/braces "invisible".

o

• Posted by ctycdm 10b/Sunset 24 (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 14:16

Our bar height counter, with 12" overhang, and 23" overall depth. Plenty of knee space, and very comfortable for two.

edit to add...
I just re read that you only have a 5" wall... buehl is correct, 17" may be a bit narrow of a bar top for eating. I had the advantage of the used brick, the framed wall, plus a 3cm thick soapstone backsplash, and 1-1/4" overhang beyond that.

This post was edited by ctycdm on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 14:36

o

Thank you. I've decided to use the granite on my island for my ledge. It's the only way that I can find a match. I am going to keep the granite on the ledge and just have the longer ledge right underneath it.
I am going to post a picture of what I plan to do.
I am going to do something similar to the ledge on the right side of this picture.

o

Here is what is there now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here