Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enright

Can we MacGyver a custom panel refrigerator?

enright
14 years ago

We are trying our hardest to get a high-end kitchen at a bargain basement price. We wondered if, instead of having a sub-zero type refrigerator, we could simply get a smaller, refrigerator w/o a freezer and put it on top of a base cabinet. We currently have a 36 inch side by side, so we would try to get one that has a similar amount of usable frig space. We also want to have custom panels. Can you do this on a frig that is not "panel ready"?? We have space in our pantry for a separate freezer that would certainly be bigger than our current tiny side freezer. Has anyone done such a thing? Are we the only ones that like to MacGyver such things to save money??

Comments (22)

• donka
    14 years ago

I can't help with the panels, but how would you get the fridge into the space, and in and out for cleaning, if it's raised up?

• plllog
    14 years ago

Have you found the unit you want? I had one about the right size when I lived abroad decades ago, but haven't seen any the size you're talking about in the U.S. recently.

Have you looked at a panel ready, cabinet depth, bottom mount fridge? You could build a nice surround for it. Check the FKB. These can look as good as built in, though they are deeper. (They don't look the same, but they look good.)

It is theoretically possible to attach panels with magnets, and things like that, but you have to be very very careful with weight, ventilation, and similar technical considerations that can affect the function of your unit. MacGyver's devices didn't have to function long term.

In addition, while some compact units like Perlick are supposed to be excellent quality, they also have higher prices than regular sized SubZero per square foot of capacity. A lot of what you're paying for in a high end built-in fridge is quality and performance. A small cheap fridge will keep your food cold, but a mid-range, standard sized fridge will probably have superior temperature control, etc.

• budge1
    14 years ago

Not sure if it would be cheaper, but check out this company.

Here is a link that might be useful: frigo

• mindy31
    14 years ago

We are building a house now, and in our kitchen we bought a fullsize fridge w/out frezzer on top and a full size freezer and are having a armorie built around it, but it is stuck to the fridge door so when you open the armorie door it opens the fridge and freezer..

• enright
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your suggestions. I would love to see your armoire Mindy31. Any idea how much it will cost?? Thank you circuspeanut for the info about the hinge. I will search for the hinge and Davidro1.

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

enright, I will be following this thread w/ interest. I am wanting to use my current refrig and enclose w/ an armoire style cab, also. I have an article I saved several years ago from Fine Homebuilding where a reader (who was also a woodworker, apparently) retrofit his current frig to look like an old-fashioned icebox. If you like, I can try to scan and email the article to you. If you click on "My Page", next to my name, it will give you the option to email me.

I'd love to hear what davidro1 says, also. And Mindy31, here's another request for pictures!

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

Oh, wait, here's davidro1's thread

Here is a link that might be useful: Connecting a wood panel door to a fridge door, to open together

• live_wire_oak
    14 years ago

The biggest drawback you will encounter is ventilation for the refrigerator. Built ins have already solved that problem. Free standing ones don't vent the same way, and restricting the airflow to them will cause them to overheat and die a quick death.

The second big problem is if you are planning to attach a wood skin/door to a refrigerator that hasn't planned to have such is that the hinges probably will not be robust enough to function long term with the added weight.

There are plenty of "panel ready" refrigerators out there that you can build in with cabinetry on the sides as well. No, they won't be fully integrated, but neither will your jury rigged built in. You are NOT going to be able to get a fully integrated look without purchasing a refrigerator that is designed for it. Some wishes on a wish list will take a large chunk of budget to accomplish. That's just the nature of a remodel and allocating your budget wisely. If you really want a integrated fridge, you don't have any other options than one engineered to function that way. If you're OK with just having a paneled fridge "built in", then you can probably do that a lot easier by just buyihg a panel ready fridge and doing some fridge panels for the sides. BTW, the cabinet panels for a fridge front can cost you pretty big bucks as well. It usually adds on about $1500+ in a medium priced line to be able to panel the sides and front of a fridge that is already built to accept them.

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

I don't know how they do it but there a some lovely examples of armoire refrigerators at the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Moore & Bradfield

• thecabinetmaker
    14 years ago

>The biggest drawback you will encounter is ventilation for the refrigerator.
    >Built ins have already solved that problem. Free standing ones don't vent the
    >same way, and restricting the airflow to them will cause them to overheat and
    >die a quick death.

To put it bluntly, this is just wrong. We've been doing built in fridges for decades (one is in a personal apartment of mine that is 25 years old) and have never had a problem.

{{!gwi}}

As long as you have the skill & patience it's not that difficult.

-Alan

• live_wire_oak
    14 years ago

Alan, you just proved my point. While that fridge is certainly "aftermarket built in", it's NOT a fully integrated built in. It's still able to vent through the visible ventilation panels located at the bottom. If you covered those vents, then the fridge would die a quick death. Some fridges need even more ventilation than that. It all depends on the fridge's specs. To go against the manufacturer's specs means that you have zero warranty resolution should something go amiss with the fridge.

• mindy31
    14 years ago

I will post some pictures of my friends if I could ever figure out how.

• enright
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wanted to post a follow-up. I purchased some of the white slider mechanisms from ebay.UK and had them shipped to us. They arrived safe and sound. Once I have convinced my husband to create the cover panels, I will post pictures.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oh, cool! I'm so glad you posted a follow-up. I always end up wondering what the outcome was. I'll look forward to seeing the end result.

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

ooh! Interestng. Enright, if you get the chance, could you post a photo and/or some manufacturer's information on the hinges? Building things with doors into wooden cabinets isn't relegated only to fridges, and I have a few ideas ... :-)

• kompy
    14 years ago

Agree with Livewire on this. I, too, would worry about the weight limit for the hinges and warranty issues. Even dishwashers that are panel ready sometimes require a heavier duty spring so the door doesn't slam open.

Panel ready refrigerators aren't that much more $$ than stainless steel ones.

If you're trying to reuse an existing appliance to save money, then maybe I can see giving it a shot. But I would sell the thing on Craigslist and do it right the first time. You'll spend a lot of money on panels....and may end up having to do it again in a few years. Savings down the drain.

• davidro1
    14 years ago

That was a good move: ebay.uk !

I ordered a white slider from the Blomberg master distributor, and they messed up the order several times (Suspicious me, I think that someone didn't want me to macgyver my way around and thereby avoid paying for a fully-integrated fridge.) Sliderless, still sliderless; so sad, after a year of hunting for a white slider.

Here is a link that might be useful: Connecting a panel door to a fridge door, to open together

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

Actually, Kompy, in the Liebherr version I saw in person, there's no weight added to either door. The linking pin floats free - it simply connects the swing of each door's axis when the doors are used. Each door just uses its regular hinges, which presumably are designed with ample strength to support it. I know it's rather hard to envision; perhaps more pictures are available on the European web, I'll search quickly.

Re. panel cost: if one is handy enough to be considering this option, I suspect one is also capable of making one's one panels/doors. We paid less than $100 total in lumber and supplies to make a solid cherry dishwasher panel that would have cost over $600 to order. :-)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

I had asked a similar question a while back:

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY paneled fridge thread

• johnorange
    14 years ago

Responses here have been interesting. I also have thought about wood paneling a standard fridge. I salute circuspeanut for pointing out that lots of folks who frequent this website are accustomed to finding new ways to do things. Some have a unique problem that they are confronting while others have an open mind to approach old customs with new ideas. Tell someone you can't do that and some will only try harder. For some of us, it will end up costing more or taking longer and some of our ideas just flat have to be re-done, but some, and I dare say many, will do some things better than has been done before. Hats off to the MacGyvers here and thanks to all who share successes and failures so we can all learn from them. It sometimes only takes a minor tweak to turn a bad plan into a great one.

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

Ha! I found it. Hettich makes one (a "refrigerator cabinet door fixing mechanism") for about 14Euro.

Download the PDF here!

... or on German eBay. (Once I found the name, they're all over the place -- who knew?)

In German, for amusement's sake, it's a Schleppbeschlag, or "drag fitting." :-)

Just don't confuse your Schleppbeschlag with a Kühlschrankumbautentürscharnier, which is a different hinge used for an entirely separate refrigerator cabinet door, apparently also a common practice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Get yer Schleppbeschlag here

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022