Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

10" deep sink--any disposal issues?

Rudebekia
9 years ago

I'm not quite sure I WANT a 10" deep sink although the idea is intriguing. It appears to be difficult to find a ss sink that is less deep! Kraus seems to dominate the market these days online (at least in my price range). I'm looking at the 30".

There are some complaints online that there is no room for a disposal with a 10" deep sink unless your water comes out of the floor. Mine comes out of the wall and I'm not inclined to re-do it.

Can anyone comment on this? That is, do you have a 10" deep sink and did you have any problems installing a disposal?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• Jancy
    9 years ago

I have a Kraus 10 inch deep and love it. My sink is 23 inches and smaller sink base at 27 1/4. I purchased the Insinkerator Evolution Compact 3/4 HP and no problem at all. Pipes come out of my wall also. I have 7 inches from the bottom of the disposal to the sink base cabinet bottom along with a rev-a-shelf sink base drip tray.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very helpful. Thanks jancy!

• poohpup
    9 years ago

Just make sure the 10" depth isn't going to kill your back. Thought I wanted a huge, deep sink in my last kitchen and discovered it was a back breaker to stand at that thing and do dishes. The sink I put in this time is 8" deep and I definitely would not want it deeper. Just something to think about.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I have a 10" deep sink, water from the wall and the Evolution Compact disposal -- no problems. Sink set back and faucet reach are at least as important as sink depth for your working comfort. For me, I would say they are more important unless you wash your dishes by putting them on the bottom of the sink rather than holding them up and rinsing under the stream of water.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

We reused our standard disposal. There's not a lot of clearance, but it fits.

I like the deeper sink, but I don't fill mine and wash that way. I wash with a sponge and rinse.t

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

We have that sink with a 1HP Insinkerator disposal and everything fits just fine. It is deep, but that just makes it great at hiding dishes until you can get to them. I'm also one who uses a sponge with soap to wash the few hand washable items. If there's a large bowl or pot, I might fill that. But I'm never standing at the sink so long that it's difficult on my back.

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

We put in Kohler sink linked below (except without the faucet holes, which increased the price $200), its 9 inches deep and an apron front. We used the same insinkerator evolution compact 3/4hp as Jancy, with no installation issues.

Have only had the sink for 2 weeks, and was thinking last night how much I love it. 36 inches wide, single bowl, and the apron front is very comfortable for washing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler vault apron front sink

• Julie Drew
    9 years ago

I can't comment on sinks that are 10" deep, but I do know that Elkay has 8" deep stainless sinks that are 30" wide. I just ordered one (the ELUH2816PD.)

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Oops -- posted last night and must have been too tired. My Evolution Compact is under my prep sink. The larger sink has a standard 1HP Insinkerator but we will be changing it out for an Evolution series.

• quadesl
    9 years ago

A deeper sink may require that your drain pipe get lowered in order for your sink to drain properly.