Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
matching new cabs to weird old molding

Posted by fori (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 19:04

We're going to go with stained wood for this kitchen remodel, probably in a simple slab style. The entire house is trimmed out in a skinny wood molding. I'd like to match it in color if not species. I don't think it would be overkill since the molding is so thin. The cabinets in the home originally were probably a good match as well. There are two doorways in the kitchen with this trim and we will try to match it for a new opening (possibly taking old stuff from inside closets).

Anyway, is it a mistake? We like the trim, where it is clean (that's another project--just look at the crud!). What wood species would look right with this stuff? It is Honduran mahogany and decidedly orange. I don't think that is a reasonable thing to do cabinets in is it? Should we not try to match it at all and go light maple? Or dark? Can I get walnut to look right?

Window casing (none in kitchen):

Door casing in kitchen (needs some degrunging):

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: matching new cabs to weird old molding

Go for it! We had our contractor recreate the original dentil molding and match everything. We are very happy with the result.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dusty's kitchen

o
RE: matching new cabs to weird old molding

we have that mahogan trim throughout the house and grains like cherry/birch/walnut don't look good in my opinion. I like alder with a moderate stain because it is quite smooth and grainfree,maple in a few different stains and hickory with the darker stains works.Of course quartersawn oak works. I'll be replacing old merillat cabs. We did some window trim[sills and aprons]-I had a woodworker cut white oak because the stock stuff at lumberyards had more relief than what was needed. Stained it ourselves in early American color [minwaxx]with a little cherry thrown in to redden it a bit-ends up a caramel or fruitwood/teak color, which looks good adjacent to the trim-not an exact match.For cabs-don't try to match the trim exactly-go 1 or 2 shades lighter or darker-maybe you'd like the more swirly grained woods-I did not. I have yet to get to the kitchen-layout issues-but it will be with stained wood and less rather than more movement in counters/backsplash [think nouveau neutrals]-maybe a little more grainy or rustic on the floor.I like the trim...painted some walls [office and bedroom]whitish,recently, and the lighter walls play up the wood.For me I'm not doing a white kitchen,-but the light walls with wood cabs and this trim in all the rooms and hallways,is the simple/straitforward treatment I'm anticipating when my derriere gets a move-on. [there is a ton of prep and thought with projects]-I've just learned to work with exisiting elements and the solid mahog trim is certainly something I have catered to in the thinking and planning[I'm not yanking it out or painting it, and not duplicating exactly either]. Best luck whatever you choose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here