Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heidia_gw

marble tile backsplash and the usual staining/etch issue?

heidia
11 years ago

Oh I would just love to do a marble tile backsplash...but should I avoid doing that for the same reasons I am avoiding marble on the counters? What happens when tomato sauce gets on it? Are the marble tiles sealed diff to avoid the usual marble issues(staining.etching)?

Comments (10)

• jamesdutt
    11 years ago

Please see my posting of today regarding limestone backsplash tiles. It is my understanding that marble is like limestone in that sealing it gives you more time to clean up a spill but cannot prevent staining/etching if the substance is left there long enough (tomato juice, oil, lemon juice, for example). If I had it to do over, I would continue looking for a limestone substitute for the cooking area (not that I didn't spend countless hours looking--just could not find anything nearly as beautiful as what I chose). There are some porcelain tiles these days that look remarkably like marble.

• heidia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jamesdutt...what I had feared. We love it when Grandma makes us sauce, but I find spots of it days after cleaning, so this is def something I should avoid...off to find marble like tiles...

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Well, you won't get rings from glasses on it....

just sayin'

Seriously, there are some great porcelains that look like marble.

• marcydc
    11 years ago

i have a marble backsplash, crema marfil. Had limestone in the last kitchen i remodeled. No etching with either. Its sealed of course and i don't let things sit on there overnight. We're not the neatest cooks and it does get splashed with tomato sauce often!

• billy_g
    11 years ago

I have a marble backsplash too and it has not been a problem at all. It is honed marble and well-sealed. If I'm cooking tomato sauce I put a sheet pan behind the cooktop, but I've had tomato sauce and all sorts of stuff on the backsplash with absolutely no problems.

Remember, a backsplash is very different from a countertop. Pretty much the only stuff you'll get on it is water, oil, stocks (no bonds), tomato sauce, and other sauces. OK, there might be more when you're cooking wild in the kitchen like I do sometimes but it hasn't been a problem. You're not going to leave a lemon on your backsplash like you might on your countertop.

Billy

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

We're also looking at marble for the BS and have the same concerns with oil/grease/tomato sauce/etc. What about cleaning the grout--any issues there with the above listed trouble makers?

• mailfox7
    11 years ago

I also have a marble backsplash in Calcutta subway. It is honed. I have cleaned off tomato sauce from behind the stove countless times, in addition to grease that made it's way there. No staines whatsoever after sealed with porous plus. Remember, etches will be hard to find. I thought I found one couple years ago, but for the life of me, I cannot find it even looking for it.
    The grout has turned very slightly off white over the years behind the stove. I notice that more than anything else.
    I do love the marble, though, the natural beauty of the stone really adds so much to the whole feel of the kitchen that a tile would not have.

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Totally agree with Billy and la jan.

I have a large, very white (Vermont Danby) marble slab backsplash behind my range. It's sealed with Porous Plus 511, like the counters, and has no staining, although some food splatters have landed on the BS and sat for days before I noticed them.

Etching, IMHO and experience, is also not a concern at all. Sealer doesn't prevent etching, as an etch is an instant chemical reaction when an acidic substance hits the marble. However, etches (and my counters have plenty if them) are only visible when the light hits them at certain angles. Since the BS is on the wall, light just doesn't bounce off of it in such a way that etches are noticeable or even visible (and my kitchen is super sunny).

I've splattered plenty of tomato sauce on my BS, and don't have a single noticeable etch.

FWIW, if you're really concerned about staining, you might want to
    consider Vermont Danby marble tiles for your BS. Danby looks like Carrera and Calacatta (white with grey veining), but it's considerably
    denser and therefore really resists staining. With Danby marble and Porous Plus 511, I don't have a single stain after almost a year of heavy use.

That said, I have a friend with a Carrera subway tile backsplash. She has a huge kitchen, lots of kids, and a pro stove. She cooks a lot, and her subways are pristine with no staining or etching visible.

I say go for it!

Good luck, and have fun with your project.

Madeline :)

• Betsy Hart
    7 years ago

Don't put marble back splash over a red painted old wall! We're redoing our kitchen and have done this and the porous marble turned pink. My husband removed it. Had the painters paint and seal the wall with no visible paint and it happened again! Now we are removing it a third time and redoing it. Any suggestions?? I'm losing it!