Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gel staining cabinets what to with inside

Posted by maju785 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 19:02

The information from these site have been anything but livesaver. I am finally taking the plunge and having my oak cabinet gel stained with general finishes java. However the question I have is what to do with inside of cabinet leva them same or stain them as well. It gets more complicated with glass insert which i am putting in some cabinets. What happens to the inside of those cabbies. I am putting in glass shelves in those as well.

Another question is any suggestion to retrofit insert for 8 inch lower cabinet which I can use for my 2 cabinet flanking my cooktop for oil etc which will free up some surface.

Please help me as my contractor is gonna ask me this question in few hours.

Thanks,
Maju

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gel staining cabinets what to with inside

Personally, I would only stain the inside of the cabinet box on the ones with the glass inserts in the doors. I would probably go ahead and stain both inside and outside of the doors. No advice on the 8" retrofit, sorry !

o

But then the inside will be different with different cabinet, will that not be an issue w resale?

o

I hope not. My UltraCraft cabinets came that way ... the interiors of the boxes are a light maple color with the exterior & the doors stained cherry. Except for the cabinet with glass which is cherry inside, outside, and doors. Also at our primary residence, our cabinets are painted white on exterior & doors, but wood on the interior.

o

That makes me feel better. I read in some posts about a clear coat within cabinet, I was wonderinf that is just polyurthane. Also if someone has gel stain done by contractor how much they were charged

o

I'm in the process of gel staining my cabinets right now! I'm doing them myself. I am not staining the insides of the cabinets. I don't think it looks weird at all. I'm not doing glass in any of them either though. I guess if I were you I'd probably want to gel stain the inside of the ones with glass but just leave the other ones. It seems like it would be so much work to stain the insides too!! Good luck! I'm half way done with mine, and it already looks so much better!!

o

I wouldn't gel stain the interiors (except the glass fronted ones), there just isn't any need to and you will double the amount of work and time to finish your project.

Post pics when you're done, lmeadl. :)

o

That sounds good, will do just thay. Any idea on the cost aspect of staining

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here