Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What product do you use on the bottom of your stools/chairs?

Posted by Mom23Es (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 18:50

We currently have ceramic tile. The kids slide chairs and stools all over, and I don't have to worry about scratching the floors. In the new kitchen we have site finished hardwood floors. How can I protect my floors? I've seen a bunch of different products, but I'm wondering what the GW experts recommend?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What product do you use on the bottom of your stools/chairs?

I have the plastic rounds which you drill a hole in your chairs leg bottoms, and then push and hammer in the plastic. A little work but so worth it. I also have felt which picks up my dogs hair so I'm switching them out. The plastic rounds actually seem to work better and glide across the floor with minimal friction and no noise.

Good luck. I love wood floors!

o

Stick on felt. I buy the huge squares (~5x7"?) of the heavy duty kind at the hardware store and cut them to fit (more economical than buying the pre-cut ones). I have them EVERYWHERE in my house. You have to replace them every 12-18 months I find (however we a shedding dog and the hair weasels its way under the adhesive after a while).

o

Definitely stick on felt. That's what the hardwood floor guys recommend.

o

I use these stick on felt tabs in the dark brown. HD. Cheap. My floor guys recommended them also. Unfortunately, they seem to gather all the cat hair within a 5 mile radius. I quixkly pull the hair off when I come around with the little swiffer stick vac.

I did see some cool plasticy circle tabs that said they work great on wood floors, but reviews on HD's website were mixed with a few people reporting that they badly scratched their wood. I'm not willing to risk it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Felt tabs that we have stuck to every piece of furniture on wood floor

o

In my last house, I first put on those plastic slides, but they did not work too well,so ended up putting the heavy duty felt stick on ones...they worked so much better.

o

I find stick-on felt always fall off. I instead finally started using felt that is backed by a plastic pad, and then has a cylinder of thin metal that acts as a nail to go into the bottom of wooden chair legs, like the ones on the right-hand side of this picture:

o

In my last house, I first put on those plastic slides, but they did not work too well,so ended up putting the heavy duty felt stick on ones...they worked so much better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here