Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephers123

Need advice for wasted space kitchen design

stephers123
9 years ago

I have been "working" on our kitchen overhaul for the better part of a year and I still am not quite there. Hoping someone might have advice on what I can do with the space. There is a lot of room available, and in the current design, I feel like the space by our sliding door is wasted as well as the space between the wall where the stove is and the penninsula. I also am dying for a mud room. I could use the pantry and make into an area the kids can throw their stuff (bench, hooks, etc) or thinking I could perhaps use some of the wasted space to create a mud room (though that involved an exterior wall and likely a lot more money)
Our garage door opens right into the middle of the kitchen and am thinking we could move it to another area.
The sliding door could move to the left, or we can keep it, but it goes out to a screened in porch.
We also converted the formal living room to a dining room because the original dining room was too tiny for the table I wanted (104").
Question: Any ideas or any ideas on who to go to for ideas? I have been working with a contractor who works with a cabinet company, but they aren't designers. I also paid $250 for a few designs from a contracting company (does design and the work). I could share those too (some included moving the kitchen to the far living room wall, which is kind of growing on me).
Am so lost!!

Comments (12)

• User
    9 years ago

Need an overhead measured drawing to confirm dimensions. But my first thought is to move the whole kitchen down to where you have the patio door,and replace that with a window. Replace the dining room window with a patio door. And now the entry from the garage area becomes a nice mudroom area, and the kitchen is well connected with the dining area and exterior. You just don't have any place for a living room. Which is why a measured drawing is needed.

• stephers123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will look for the dimensions (or take them myself!) One of the designers recommended that... My worry about the mudroom there is that there is a beautiful window looking out to the front yard (which is how I see the kids playing). Though perhaps I can drop move the closet by the front door and move the window over?
    We have a fairly large family room just down two stairs to the left of the front door (and to the left of the kitchen), so we don't really need a formal living room, but a sitting area might be nice.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Dont make decisions until you work out the answers to these questions. I waited five years to mentally figure out how best to manage our small space. Ultimately, I made a window narrower, brick exterior, but it worked. At least, work out most if not all of your questions. Or maybe just the mudroom.

But nothing is perfect. For me, waiting was easier as I knew I would only get one shot at a new kitchen. Turns out, we bought a snowbird house so I will do another kitchen.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

When you measure, also measure the garage - if the garage is large enough, you might be able to steal some space for a Mudroom there.

What is the exterior of your home? Brick? Siding? Something else?

• stephers123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I can take some space from the garage for the mudroom... not a whole lot, but probably enough for something small. The house has siding. There is brick on the other side of the house, but I think it's a fake façade.

• stephers123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the dimensions. Thank you!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

My reaction was the same as hollysprings -- move the kitchen down so you have a space that makes sense for the mudroom. I don't know where your laundry is, but a large window and lots of light would be really nice if you wanted to combine that with the mudroom.

If you push the kitchen all the way down, you loose the light and view for the dining area on both ends. You might keep the table at the DR end, but make it more of an open nook and still be able to open up and enlarge the kitchen.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

If you could use the garage as a drop zone, and then have a wall of pantry cabinets/lockers to catch the overflow, then I think something like this would work.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

How muddy of a mudroom do you really need? A place for coats and boots and gear-- or a dirt-spattered decontamination chamber?

If the former, instead of cutting up your relatively small space with extra walls, I would rather use the front window area as a combined seating and mudroom space. Turn the closet toward the window. Add a matching closet--or enclosed cubbies --on the opposite wall against the garage. Put a setee against the front window, plus a small table and perhaps a chair or two facing the front yard; choose durable fabrics like faux leather or Sunbrella. Now you have a mudroom space that can be accessed from either the front door or the garage door, And one that's nice enough to still serve the function of the formal living room as a reception space, without all the wasted real estate. And you haven't lost any square footage from your main living space. Just move the kitchen toward the back wall as others have suggested.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I like Marcolo's idea of switching the closet and adding the cubbies!

Here's that option, but I kept a small table for crafts, snacks, breakfast, etc. You said you like to watch the kids out that window, but a setee would look very nice, too.

While an island is very nice (and popular) I thought I'd leave the wall (perhaps load bearing?) and make the kitchen easily accessible from both tables. And you still have a little more 'formal' feel in the big dining room.

By having the French doors opening into the kitchen, you have the option of closing off the noise...but still seeing the main sink (maybe farmhouse?) and possible 'buffet area' opposite the French doors.

I added the extra sink by the fridge, so you have one sink/prep area to the left of the range and another baking area on the right. The dishwasher could go by either sink (or both) but if you have one opposite the French doors, cabinet front or drawer dishwasher might be a nice option.

Hope this helps and have fun with your planning :) {{!gwi}}From Kitchen plans

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I'd like to see LWO's kitchen combined with Lavender's mudroom!

• stephers123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! These are all great ideas. I like the idea of moving the kitchen down towards the back of the house, and moving the sliding glass door to the left where the dining room (old living room) is or even keeping it where it is. I don't need a huge mud room but more of a neater drop place. I had never thought about making the front closet a two sided closet. I think that would help! I had though of making that one closet (labeled 4' 2") a drop zone that I could build a bench and cubbies in. Not a huge amount of space but also easy to access from either entry way. This is all awesome advice. Thank you - so much more to think about!