Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lopay_gw

Sneak Peak - Rift Sawn Oak Cabinets

LoPay
10 years ago

Hard to believe has only been three weeks since demo day, and half of the cabinets are in.

Sneak peak of my slab rift swan oak cabinets. The wall brackets were fabricated by my contractor to hold walnut shelves like the one shown.

I'm only doing a tile backsplash behind the cook top. The paint color BM Wasabi.

Counter top gets templated this week, and two week wait for install.

I have been so blessed to have the input of this forum and good people working for DH and me.

Comments (29)

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

beautiful. what's that in the middle of the floor?

• LoPay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The cabinets are set over the tile. The contractor put down rosin paper and some type of board to protect the floor.

Now do you see why pulls would be a crime? I might put one on the trash pull out. That is the front next to the DW opening. I saw some pewter pulls that looked like a twig.

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

Those cabinets are gorgeous! You're right about the pulls. Maybe those ones someone suggested that are the metal ledge set over the top of the door/drawer? I like the twiggy pulls, but not sure I'd like it there even for the trash.

• kaysd
    10 years ago

Those cabinets are beautiful. I can see why you don't want pulls. Are you using touch latches or Servo-Drive to avoid pulls? What are you using for countertops?

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

I certainly agree that pulls would spoil the look a bit. But so will blemishes on the finish. So it's a tough call...

• LoPay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is how the shelves are built. They are like a slim box that the brackets will slot into.

I'm going to go with tab pulls after talking with my designer and contractor today. Cost and ease won out. I do want some type of beefy pull for the trash since it will get a lot of use, and I can hang a hand towl there.

The counter tops will be Silestone Yukon Blanco.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Love how the grain lines up! Great job.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!
    Keep those pictures coming!

• sixkeys
    10 years ago

Yay for progress! Looks great!

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Your cabinets are spectacular. I don't think that some streamlined finger pulls or tab pulls will detract too much from the beautiful wood. Can't wait to see your finished kitchen.

• eam44
    10 years ago

Oh they're gorgeous. When you do your final reveal please make sure "oak" is in the title. I thought I disliked oak cabinets. Boy was I wrong.

Please, please consider a servo drive for the trash cabinet and hang your towels somewhere else. Having a single pull in the kitchen, regardless of its beauty, may not look as you hope it will. With the drive, a push with your hand (or knee) opens the cabinet... very handy, if a bit pricey.

Here is a link that might be useful: Servo

• muskokascp
    10 years ago

Beautiful! The finger tab pulls are a great choice for these cabinets.

Can you show a close up of the wall brackets? Did your contractor put them in before the drywall or after?

Looking forward to more views of this lovely kitchen.

• LoPay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The brackets were mounted to the studs prior to the drywall going in.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

good call on the finger pulls. I don't think you would be happen with the ruined finish just a few years down the road (like my mom's reno). Echoing the suggestion for a foot pedal or some other trash mechanism.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Beautiful wood! Can't wait to see more pics.

• scootermom
    10 years ago

Wow. Those are gorgeous! Go for the ServoDrive. No pulls necessary and think of the fun you could have dancing around your beautiful kitchen!

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

Wow those are gorgeous cabinets! I keep scrolling back up to look at the top picture. So pretty!

• chiefy
    10 years ago

So pretty!

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

That oak is beautiful! I love the grain. It has both a modern and a timeless appeal.

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

gorgeous! i think the finger pulls will look great with your cabs.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Lopay, I love your rift sawn oak. Absolutely gorgeous.

• LoPay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shameless thread bump ;>

Day two with the uppers and MW cabinet.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Oh. My. Gosh. Those are fantastic! Can't wait to see the rest!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

No shameless plug bump with those awesome cabinets!
    Keep the pictures coming!

• katy-lou
    10 years ago

Those are gorgeous! Please
    Share the details :)

• peony4
    10 years ago

I'm in the open shelving camp, and so love where yours will be placed. Can't wait to see the final results.

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous cabinetry!!! I think those are some of the most beautiful cabinets I have ever seen! I made my DH look at the pictures and he was impressed as well:)

• hcdny
    10 years ago

Here is our next project rendering. Rift white oak/horizontal grain/espresso.

• Michelle
    2 years ago

LoPay, I love your cabinets! This is what I want to do in our kitchen. Did a local cabinetmaker make your cabinets? What is the finish? Please advise - everything just looks so yellow! Thank you

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company