Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
odiegirl13

TKO To A Sad New Level!

Christine Clemens
13 years ago

It is bad enough that I look at kitchens in every commercial and TV show. I even rewind the TIVO to check them out. Now, I have caught myself looking at kitchens in animated shows. That's right - Cartoon Kitchens for Pete's sake. What is wrong with me?

I better start my remodel before I totally lose it. I guess I it might already be too late.

Comments (37)

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

the cartoon kitchen in ratatouille is my all time favorite! catapults la canche into a whole new hemisphere!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

LOL. I can actually say I've never done that, but then I don't watch animated shows either. Oh, wait, does the movie "Ratatouille" count? ;-)

• purplepansies
    13 years ago

Oh, Odiegirl, I do that all the time! And I thought it was only me! I knew I was becoming obsessed when I pointed out to my DH that Helen's mom in "Martha Speaks" has a hood over her range! (I had never even HEARD of hoods until I found GW! - and great cartoon, by the way! :)

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, you are right kateskouros. That is a great kitchen. Let's count that one.

I'd be lying to say it was the one I meant but it does make me feel better somehow. I don't even know show it was just like I don't remember what any of the commercials are about. I really only like old classic movies or kid movies but I am kind of a flipper until I find one I like. Drives DH crazy.

• friedajune
    13 years ago

Ah, yes, I was sighing over the La Cornue Chateau ranges in Ratatouille, drawn in perfect detail. I'll link a pic below, but in the movie, there were, like, 6 of them in the kitchen.

And of course, there's the Jetsons. The perfect blend of '60's mid-century modern, and futuristic imagination that only a TKO could appreciate.

Here is a link that might be useful: La Cornue Château ranges - click on pic to enlarge

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hooray! I am not alone. Martha Speaks is really cute.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Oh please. I'm obsessed with TV show backsplashes and desperately seeing photos of the kitchens in Brothers & Sisters and Castle. Don't know why those pesky TV networks don't include more kitchens in the episode photosets. Can't imagine what's wrong with them, the dopes.

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

".. daughter Judy, Jane his wife". LOL! I need to look up some Jetson's pictures to see if I remember it correctly.

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great! Now I have to check out Brothers and Sisters and Castle. ;)

I have also noticed how spoiled I have become when I look at real estate listings. I don't think I have seen a kitchen yet that I liked. None of them look as good as a GW'er kitchen.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

We went to see Secretariat. I was looking at her 70s kitchen, cabinets and decor. Mug tree on the kitchen table, etc. Not to mention the clothes. Any movie we go to, I'm watching the set design along with the storyline.

Nice house in Life As We Know It. I even leaned over to DH and said something about the kitchen.. and I don't talk during movies.

• clax66
    13 years ago

Hate to be the one to break it to you Odiegirl, but the obsession doesn't end once you've completed your kitchen. I finished mine in 2008 (well, 2009 one the backsplash finally came in) and STILL love to admire kitchens.

I still come on here occasionally to admire finished kitchens! And no real estate listing or open house in my neighbourhood has as nice a kitchen as mine:)

PS - I look at kitchens on TV shows all the time, eg. those found on Modern Family and Cougartown immediately come to mind!

• lyno
    13 years ago

I thought I had seen a shot of the kitchen in "Life as We Know It", but did a search and found this website. There are pictures from the movie and also from the house they used. Evidently the interiors were sets and the outside shots were the house in Atlanta at this website which is currently on the market. At the top is a link to TV/Movie houses,there you will find the TV show Brothers and Sisters and the kitchen is pictured!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: TV/Movie Houses

• morgne
    13 years ago

I might be able to add a new twist: Weirdo claymation/animated movies.

Has anyone besides me seen "Coraline" the movie? It's a weird mix of different mediums (about 3 out of 5 stars as movies go) but what makes it OH SO INTERESTING is that the little girl in the movie travels through a tunnel to go from the normal version of this world with mother, father and kitchen to the seemingly better version with an "othermother", otherfather, and yes, the otherkitchen.

Each of the "others" is an upgrade. The mother cooks better, the father has more time, and the kitchen looks like they consulted GW for it from the big hood to the solid counters that look like they could be soapstone.

Basic changes include switching old the 30" 4 burner range for a 42" 6 burner double oven range, enlarging the the farmhouse sink, installing potracks, installing window curtains, switching the pendant from plain to stain glass, adding a knife rack and butcher block, enlarging the hood, decreasing table size and making it a nicer table.... it's very well done! Lol. We spent most of the show pausing it as we confirmed the differences.

It's pretty awesome.

The link has pictures of both about half way down. Somebody who is better at embedding photos should relist them here if they get a chance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll to the middle for before and after pics

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now I remember the movie. How cool is that? I did not know it was filmed right here in Atlanta. Gorgeous house. I could live there!

I will check out Brothers and Sisters as well.

Might as well be TKO with gusto!

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OMG morgne. You make me feel so much better. That is an amazing piece of kitchen analysis. The kids saw Coraline without me so I missed it.

Adding it to the Netflix rental queue... ;-)

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

I can so relate to this. I catch every kitchen in every show, movie and commercial, even the ones that are flying by when we are fast forwarding through commercials on TIVO. The other day I caught myself checking out the layout in a DRAWING of a kitchen on a bottle of Fantastic!

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Love TV kitchens - In addition to Castle, check out all the kitchens on Parenthood (one slightly farmhouse, one contemporary and one lovely old school eclectic.) And for the white lovers you have to see Cougar Town. Retro/uncool 70's in The Middle and Modern Family has a bunch of interesting ones. OK I am not TV obsessed, just kitchen!

• dar5
    13 years ago

Castle's kitchen was my dream kitchen...but I think they made some changes to it this season and I'm no longer in love with it. The stone work is great, but something is different.

• joan2121
    13 years ago

I am definitely in the club- thought I was crazy:) I actually paused a commercial and took a picture of it with my camera!

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

My latest TKO moment came while on a tour at the Vatican. I was pointing out marble to my dh, "ooo, in our next kitchen we should look for that marble or maybe this one, or maybe this one on the floor"....how many photos of different marble can one take on vacation? LOTS.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

There is even a picture from the Vatican of a tile mosaic that I thought would make somebody a lovely backsplash:

{{!gwi}}

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Whew! You guys make me feel so much better, especially you kitchenkrazed09. I think the bottle of Fantastik wins the prize. I will be checking it out the next time I am at the store.

Now I need to check out Castle, Modern Family and Cougar Town. lyno's link was great. Although the kitchens are not great on some of the Disney shows, I like the colors they use.

Happy viewing everyone!

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I missed your post beekeeperswife. Okay, that is pretty TKO. St. Peter's is the right place for marble. Did you look for the ''backsplash'' in the gift shop?? LOL!

Feeling better with every post.

• mailfox7
    13 years ago

Commercials are RIPE with kitchens! I'm known to stop down the DVR during commercials to show DH lighting or layout or whatever. Rewind. lets see it again!

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Does that say ''Flying Pizza''? I need to see one of those. That is great. The menu is very interesting. I love that it is so futuristic with the food creation but the input is still on punch cards. Very cute.

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

I have been focused on stair detailing lately and was watching TV when the perfect set came on screen! YIKES! Thankfully we just started a trial subscription of DVR and I was able to pause, rewind, get my camera out and take some pictures of the screen. I felt like a genius..... until I had to take the picture to the stair manufacturer. My picture was awful --- a big flash spot in the middle of the screen and a glimpse of the stairs. Hopefully they can translate that into a nice looking staircase! At least I was able to crop out the dead bodies featured at the bottom of the stairs (Law and Order episode)!

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Evidently the interiors were sets and the outside shots were the house in Atlanta

That's the way most of them are - not enough room (or high ceilings) for 50 people, lights, cameras and miles of cables in most American homes. lol

Spending three weeks in Europe (started out in Rome, and yes the Vatican/marble is amazing) in 2000 had me changing things the week I got home.

Try taking a few set design classes. You'll never be able to watch TV or the movies the same.

• friedajune
    13 years ago

How come no one has mentioned Desperate Housewives? Bree's kitchen is da bomb.

Love the Jetson's pic. Jane's little apron is a nice touch. As I said, it's a perfect blend of MCM, and futuristic design. Their Eames dining chairs looked great then, look great now, and will look great in the year 2040 (or whenever the Jestson is supposed to take place).

Here is a link that might be useful: Eames Chair

• svs128
    13 years ago

Kitchen from Ratatouille....

• gillycat
    13 years ago

when I was still in the planning stages i would take photos of kitchens on the telly. Always grateful for being able to record the program just for this purpose.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I also like the kitchen on The Good Wife. If you "like" The Good Wife on Facebook, you can see the q & a's from the set designer about her sets. You can even participate yourself in the discussion.

I saw the floor I love outside the elevator on The Mentalist. It has been saved in my TIVO at the right spot ever since, lol.

• chinchette
    13 years ago

What do you all think of the Leave It To Beaver kitchen? I like that and I also like Laura Petrie's modern kitchen on Dick Van Dyke.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Aha, ratatouille has Bonnet ranges.

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have enjoyed all of your posts so much. I have watched a ton of movies and TV shows in my lifetime but I never noticed the kitchens until I started hanging out here. Now I notice design and color everywhere I go. I don't have a special talent for design as so many here have, but I appreciate a beautiful and functional space. I am still trying to get there with my old kitchen. Now that I have seen what my kitchen could be, I am having a hard time living in it right now

I have never heard of Bonnet ranges but I had never heard of Aga or Lacanche before I found GW. I need to watch Ratataouille again to soak in all of the carefully created details.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

No worries on Bonnet, they are in the stratosphere (300K) but nice for drooling purposes and TKO trivia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonnet

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

OMG-I love the Ratatouille kitchen!!

Yes guilty of pausing the TIVO and taking a photo. So glad I am not the only one!

I have spent an inordinate amount of time on the Birdseye steamfresh commercial studying what I can see of the layout where the cabinets/trim meet the ceiling. That's a frustrating exercise...why don't they understand I want to see the KITCHEN, not the product?! LOL

Oh of course there is a Wolf commercial that features a pause-the-DVR-worthy kitchen. Honestly though, the best inspiration kitchens are here from GW members :)

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I've been reading some of the posts on this thread to prove to DH that I'm not insane - or if I am, I'm not the only one like this!

Cathy

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional