Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carterkitchen

Help with sourcing stools

Tom Carter
11 years ago

Hello all,

Almost finished with the kitchen reno but we are having a devil of a time finding stools that we like and fit in the budget.

Ideally, I would like the beautiful Stickley bar stools but at $623 per (I need 3) - that does not really fit the budget.

I would like to find a simple, solidly built, backless, counter height (24") stool, mission/shaker/bungalow style.

Maple/oak/cherry for wood, stained, not painted - trying to avoid rubberwood.

Seat can be wood or leather.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,

Caspian

http://www.stickley.com/OurProducts_Details.cfm?id=2058&Collection=Mission&cat1=90&view=all&view=complex&finish=>;

Comments (12)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Pompanoosuc Mills has a 24" seat stool in ash for $460 or oak for $495 which is a bit better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Counterstool

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

but shakerish and plain

Here is a link that might be useful: Room and Board Bay Counter Stool

• leela4
    11 years ago

Here are a few as well:

Here is a link that might be useful: Amish Bar stools

• christine40
    11 years ago

I have the kalason bar stool in Leela4's link above. We got it in a premium stain and in brown maple. Less than $200 a stool. I love love them!! They are very comfy for backless stools. my kids like them as well. They are well built and sturdy. a far cry from $600!! Not sure if you live near any amish, we ordered through amish tables in AA michigan--we were in their delivery range. They will ship all over country--but then there is a larger shipping charge.

good luck!

• partyof7
    11 years ago

I think Oldbat used this company (Carringtoncourtdirect.com) and I have ordered from them, but haven't received them yet. This gorgeous stool looks like a bargain in leather for $294.

Sonoma leather stool: "We make chairs that last and we are so confident about them we offer a lifetime frame warranty. All frames are made from select hardwoods, 8/4" stock, kiln-dried. All frame parts are precision machined. For strength, all frames are double doweled and corner blocked with all joints glued and screwed together."
    HTH

• chispa
    11 years ago

Stools seem to be really cheap or really expensive! Budget was not an issue, but I just couldn't see spending $800 for stools that would be used by kids. The Manchester barstool from pottery barn came out around the time I was buying. I bought six and they are holding up well. PB is good with returns/refunds if that becomes necessary and you can return items to a local store.

Here is a link that might be useful: pottery Barn stool

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

I found the 24" height far too short. Maybe because I am petite, but I felt like a small child.

We measured the beat-up counter stools that we had, and found the height to be 27". NOBODY carried this height...except Stickley. Since we have a store very close by, there was also the advantage of actually being able to SIT on the various stools. We got the floor model and even that was not exactly inexpensive.

Good luck in your quest!

• cmm1
    11 years ago

It might not be what you are looking for but Costco online has nice and sturdy bar stools. Free shipping too. I have the swivel leather stools and they are very nice.

• PRO
    Tom Carter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you all for the suggestions...
    there are some great options here.

caspian

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Hey partyof7 - I love those stools! Did you get them in the leather? Please do post pictures when you get yours. We do love ours, so very comfortable.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Have you looked at Holsag stools? These are made for the hospitality industry and are a good quality bang for your buck. Scroll down the page to see the many wood stain, paint, height and seat options. I have these at my nook table and am very pleased (didn't get the cushioned seat though) with the quality and finish. I think these are especially great for kids because they are a bit heaver and a tad wider and are not easy to tip over. I also like that you can get a brass or stainless foot guard to keep them nice looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holsag

• partyof7
    11 years ago

Sorry, Oldbat2be, just saw this as I have been battling Sandy, and bringing gasoline to family in NJ! Not to highjack on the OP, but yes, we got the Mitchell 26" stool in red leather! (and kitchen table chairs, too) Cannot wait to see them! I'll definitely let you know when they arrive. Kitchen reveal coming soon.