Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
niki_friedman

My Danby sample is green!

Niki Friedman
9 years ago

I picked our two slabs of Montclair Danby today and was very excited to bring the corner home to show DH. He arrived home today @ 6pm to our very sunny kitchen, took one look at the Danby and said, "I like it but did you change your mind and choose green?"

I can see what he means. In full sun, when you look closely at it, the gray veining has an olive and Hunter green hue to it.

We've paid for it and I love it, but the question is, do we pick a backsplash to neutralize the green or do we accentuate it? I was originally planning to do a white or off white subway with an irregular edge.

What would be your suggestion on how to neutralize it? What would your suggestion be to enhance it?

Cabinets are shiloh soft white combo inset and full overlay, island is black, chrome hardware. Counters are all Danby.

Thank you! Will post pics as soon as I can.

Comments (15)

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Why do you have to choose between accentuating or neutralizing the green? Can you no longer use the white or offwhite subway tile you were originally going to go with? I have green granite and a cream backsplash and it looks fine.

• amck2
    9 years ago

I'm no expert on marble, but my reaction upon reading your post was to suggest you not base your plans for your backsplash on the small section of your slab.

I carried around a corner piece of my granite slab since I chose it in early April. I looked at photos of my slabs and memorized the movement on each stone. When I saw them again a couple weeks ago, in full light at the fabricator, I couldn't believe how different they looked to me in person. Then when the island slab was installed in the light of my kitchen, they took on other hues.

The small piece I carried with me had a predominance of sage. The big island slab has cream, white, silvery grey, a few reddish brown spots and, yes, that taupey sage color that had always been in my mind's eye.

It's possible your small piece has shades of green that isn't a main characteristic of the whole slab. That's my thought, but I'm sure marble folks will weigh in.

• andreak100
    9 years ago

Definitely wait to decide on your backsplash tiles. A small sample of stone does not a slab make. You will see SO many things in your whole slab once it's installed that it will literally boggle your mind. Months later, I'm still finding new nuances to our granite that I never noticed in the showroom.

Our front-runner for our backsplash pre-counter install turned out that it wouldn't have worked nearly as well as what we wound up with by waiting to pick after our counters were in.

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all- I feel better already!!!

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

I got 3 samples from Vermont when I was choosing my marble. All 3 of them were green. I didn't choose it. I don't like green. I ended up going with the statuary, which, when placed next to the Vermont marbles, made those look even more green.

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's 12:30 ET and they are looking nice and gray. Yes, when I stick my eye 2 inches from it I see some green shades in there.

I also just put my cheek on it and it's so smooth and cool to the touch ;)

I've got tons of white and off white tile samples on the way. I'm not going to stress about it.

Speaking of marble and not stressing, I wet a paper towel with lemon juice and wiped it on the corner and I don't see a stain or an etch. Do I have super duper danby or what?!?

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Viennamommy19, I can't wait to see pictures of your counters and see which backsplash tile you choose as well as see a picture of your cabinets installed in the soft white. If I go with Shiloh, now that my floor tiles are installed, I will be able to see which will look better with my floor tiles, the soft white or the Polar White. I am excited for you. I have the Danby Imperial Samples here and I love them but maybe I should get a sample of the Montclair Danby Marble. Please share when you have time. I am sure your kitchen will be beautiful!

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Lynn :)

Here's the first slab. I'm going to use the bulk of this one for the island I think (the mostly white part)

Second slab

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

ViennaMommy19, I LOVE both slabs! I am now wanting to get samples of these two counters also to see how they look with my tile and cabinets I am considering. Thank you for sharing.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Gorgeous slabs! Those are going to look so beautiful in your kitchen.

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much!!

• romy718
    9 years ago

I hate to be repetive but the word for those slabs is definitely gorgeous!
    I can't wait to see them installed. Tough decision about which area to use for the island.

• Catharine442
    9 years ago

so lovely

• hhrj
    8 years ago

Hi Niki ,

Did you use this marble? I would love to see pics! I am leaning toward the Montclair Danby but would love to see what it looks like in a kitchen!

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs