Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccintx

Corner susan or diagonal drawers?

ccintx
12 years ago

Would you rather have a corner base cabinet that is a lazy susan or a set of diagonal drawers?

Comments (24)

• sally123
    12 years ago

I have a corner cabinet that pulls out for kind of large storage. It works just fine. I've tried to talk myself into liking it, but I really wish I had drawers.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Corner drawers!

I had three super susans in the old kitchen. They work well, but I hated them. I got rid of one corner entirely. Got corner drawers in the other two corners. Love 'em. They're just like any other drawers. I do have 48" aisles, though, so can have my drawers extra deep.

Below are the URL's of my sketches of how we did the extra deep. The top one shows the way the drawer is shaped on the Blum plan and the way they have it made in one of the main photos, which is better. The second picture is how my cabinetmaker's guy figured out he could extend the drawer all the way back. It isn't full extension that way, but holds quite a bit more.

http://jcskitchen.net/images/Cabinet%20preview/redesign1.jpg

http://jcskitchen.net/images/Cabinet%20preview/Corner%20sketch.jpg

• Buehl
    12 years ago

Sally123 said, "...corner cabinet that pulls out for kind of large storage..."

Sally123...do you mean you have a blind corner cabinet?

Just to clarify, I think CCinTX is asking about a full corner cabinet (36"x36") that can fit either a corner susan (super or lazy) or drawers and opens on both sides of the corner...12" on each side....on either a diagonal or 90-degree corner cut.

CCinTX...what do you plan to store there? To me, there are pros & cons to both. If you plan to store large items like "small" appliances, I think a corner susan might be better. However, if you plan to store things that can easily fit in drawers, drawers might be better; although, I'm not sure you can get full-extension glides if you put in drawers that utilize the entire depth of the corner. Full- extension may be important b/c of the angle access, not a straight run.

I think it's Plllog that has corner drawers, perhaps she'll weigh in with information such as interior drawer dimensions, drawer glides (and whether they're full-extension), etc.

Let's wait to hear from Plllog since she has them!

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Some of it depends on what you want to store there. I will have a decent amount of drawers elsewhere in the kitchen (Thanks, GW!), but in the corner I want a super susan. I will store mostly small appliances, i.e., things like the crockpot, vacuum sealer, rice cooker, etc. I think these will go better in super susan than in drawers.

• sally123
    12 years ago

Oops, you're right. Sorry.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Susan! Great for storing pots and pans! I have the kind where the door is attached to the pies.

• bethohio3
    12 years ago

I have two Super Susans and I like them (I know that makes me weird). I keep all of my baking ingredients in one. The other is the kids' snack storage. As we turn into empty nesters :-(, I'll have to figure out what I'm going to keep in that cabinet.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

It is unfair to ask about preferences between a lazy susan or a set of diagonal drawers. Almost noone has diagonal drawers. I've seen them and they are a lot more functional than I imagined.

• kellied
    12 years ago

We are putting in a super susan and that is where I plan to have our dishes. DH is in need of a shoulder replacement and cannot reach up. This way he can get his own plate or bowl without me having to get it for him

• kellied
    12 years ago

The important thing for us is that neither one of us likes wasted space. Comes from living on a sailboat for a while. Super susans utilize space better than drawers which waste an awful lot of space.

• babs711
    12 years ago

This is an interesting topic. I've always thought we would do a Super Susan since that's what we had in our previous house. But I've seen some drawers recently and have been considering that for our build.

If both are in the same cabinet box and fill the same space, how do drawers waste space? The top to bottom space of each drawer would be the same as in each level of the SS, right? So is something cut out of the sides/rear of the drawers to where you lose space?

• kellied
    12 years ago

The drawers do not fill the space in the cabinet box. Lots of dead air around the drawers. Super susan fills more of the cabinet box.

• babs711
    12 years ago

But there's also dead space around the round SS area as well, no (the corners where nothing is stored)? I guess I'm wondering if there's a way to tell how much space is lost or if it's negligible?

• prospect711
    12 years ago

Considered drawers but decided on two super susans in the new kitchen.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

This is pretty simple geometry if you just picture it. A susan wastes only the corners around circle. Drawers waste those plus a lot more. They open straight out.

"Wasted space" isn't the be-all and end-all, however. Corner drawers do function well. Depends on what you want to store there.

• plllog
    12 years ago

I've done the math. Susans and corner drawers of the same exterior shape (right angled or hypotenuse) have almost exactly the same amount of horizontal area. Extended corner drawers have a little more but not significantly much. My drawers are full top to bottom and hold a lot more than I was ever able to get onto a turntable. Additionally, you can have three or four corner drawers. Remember, it's not just horizontal space, but also vertical space.

If you have a fairly tight kitchen and a range (or lower oven under cooktop) not far (24" or less) from the corner, susans provide good pot storage, in a handy place. There's almost always wasted vertical space in pot storage, and the shape of a super susan (no center pole) with its wide part in the middle and low sides, might work better for larger pots than corner drawers. In just about any other situation, it's really about whichever you prefer dealing with, or which your cabinet company offers. I have my pots, mixing bowls and small appliances in drawers, all, but wider ones than are in the corners. Corner drawers in standard cabinetry have the same 12" face on each side as any other corner cabinet. I find them much easier to deal with than the three sets of corner supersusans in my old kitchen.

It may look like one wastes more space than the other, but do the math. The only thing that gives a lot more usable space in a corner is the big, open cabinet for which you have to get on your knees to get to the back.

I have six corner drawers which hold utensils, flatware, containers, tea towels, and two with canisters and baking staples. I have had dishes in one, but decided I don't like dishes in a drawer (too low).

My redesigned drawers extend farther back than the hardware is designed for (see URLs in previous post up topic):

• zelmar
    12 years ago

We have super susans in 2 corners our kitchen. We store juices and sodas/salad spinner/extra coffee pots on one. The other one has pie and cake holders and disposable plastic containers I use to send food home with people, tupperware, lunch boxes, snack bags.

I store bottles of juice in the corners of the cabinet, where the turntable doesn't reach. I slide flat items (extra mw turntable, pans for the toaster oven) under the turntable. Flat items can also stand against the sides of the cabinet, off of the turntable--i.e. cutting boards.

I love having a variety of storage options in our kitchen.

• Cloud Swift
    12 years ago

The wasted space with corner drawers is going to two right triangles with short sides of 24" - that lost area equals 4 square feet. Given that, it seems that one would have the same amount of usable space if one didn't use the corner at all.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Yep, Cloud Swift, there's about 5-7% more storage per level than with a true blind corner whether you have super susans or corner drawers. Basically, negligible. The reason for having the corner cabinet is so the hardware won't block the opening of full overlay meeting in the corner.

Zelmar's usage of the lazy susan cabinet around the trays themselves increases the amount of storage. That wouldn't have worked in my old kitchen. There wasn't any extra room between the trays and walls, maybe half an inch to allow free movement. Having slightly smaller trays and being able to use the edges and corners is very clever.

• kellied
    12 years ago

I have never seen that type of drawer before. I was basing the wasted space on a drawer unit cutting the corner diagonally.
    Cool drawers!

• Aynb
    12 years ago

I am also going through the same question between a susan or corner cabinets/diagonal drawers. So following this post.

• rosie
    12 years ago

I don't know if anybody mentioned it already, but a diagonal will take inches away from the space for cabinets on each side, and away from counter to work at on each side. This can be a nice idea for kitchens that have extra counter and storage space to trade off for it.

I currently have a tiny vacation home kitchen I'm looking forward to redoing specifically to move the corner sink to a simple L counter. That will add something like 17" on one side to its current 14" of work space.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Corner cabinets, as Rosie pointed out, do take 12" on each side from the length of the cabinet runs, whether they're drawers, susans, open caves or any other configuration.

When you do the math, you find out that you get about the same amount of storage surface whether you have a true blind corner, blind with swing out tray system, or susans or drawers in a corner cabinet. There's a range of seven percent or less difference that they all fit into. You can increase the amount of storage space with more levels. The entirely open corner cabinet provides the most, but you have to hunker down to get into the back.

The reason for doing susans or drawers in a corner is so that you can have full overlay that will actually open instead of bumping into the faces of the perpendicular side, especially if there are knobs/pulls. They don't actually increase the storage space significantly.

Rosie, how do you figure that there's lost counter space? From where?? Oh! I get it... The diagonal in the corner where people put a full circle susan? Or sink? That does cut into your standing space. The diagonal drawers have a 90 degree corner as do the pie cut susans. I don't like the angled corner counter either, but you do gain about 20% more storage than you'd have with a true blind corner.

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

I have never had or used the corner drawer arrangement. However, my laundry room has one blind corner with a bi-fold door for access to a large susan. I love that arrangement. It's full of solvents and cleansers that I would lose track of, were I forced to rummage through cabinets or look down on jar tops. I am someone who has a combination of drawers and cabinets, though, not just drawers, because I learned from my last kitchen that I don't always like lifting things up out of drawers.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus