Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikomum_gw

Green backsplash tiles?

mikomum
13 years ago

We're in the early stages of kitchen planning, and I'm quickly becoming TKO. :) I am looking for examples of tiles or full kitchens that have green backsplashes. The color I'm envisioning is medium in tone.We will have a minimal backsplash with our layout, the longest expanse of counter will be under a 10 ft bank of south facing windows. I saw some beautiful glass subway tiles on another website but DH was worried that the grout was too pronounced so he wants to see more examples! General kitchen style will be a Craftsmen influenced, cabinets will be a medium warm brown (not sure on wood species yet). Not sure on countertops, most likely a dark/midtone granite as soapstone is next to impossible to get in my neck of the woods.

Any pics or ideas would be awesome! I have learned so much from all of you already. Thank you!

Comments (28)

• Fori
    13 years ago

Just how craftsman? A variation on this bathroom would be fun:

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: source

• pfmastin
    13 years ago

Mine are just plain sage color subway tiles. But I love them. :)

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Pfmastin - Can you share source info on the tile? Very nice.

• Jody
    13 years ago

Pewabic tiles are GORGEOUS!!!

Since I live in Michigan, I have gone to a few old home tours in the Detoit area (a couple of hours away); and the *look* of this tile, is something I've never seen any other tile manufacturer duplicate ... and most of the ones i have seen, were just the simple 3x3 field tiles in the kitchens and fireplaces. They are worth a look!!!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Here's a link to a beautiful green by Grazia. Check out the whole website, they have some beautiful green tile in several different lines. I love green tile too so I'm anxious to see if there are more suggestions. I already spent an hour looking around the Pewabic Pottery site--thanks Fori!

Here is a link that might be useful: Listella by Grazia

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I recently found these recycled tiles and they show a pretty white kitchen with a green bs. I think they'd look great with wood as well.
    I'd also check out solid color talavera tiles as those are classics with the Craftsman style
    You can see some nice dealer boards in green by Mission Tile West here:
    http://www.missiontilewest.com/styles/revival/boards/dealerinfo.html

Here is a link that might be useful: recycled tiles

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

A couple different looks here...

I have green Catamarca marble on my backsplash. IRL, it's greener than in the picture. Those are 2x2 mosaics, and there are 4x4's behind the range.

Then I put green subways (Daltile) on the wall in the pet area for easy cleanup. (Sorry it's a little blurry.)

• different_drummer
    13 years ago

DIY's Amy Matthews installed green glass tiles in her kitchen on an episode of "Kitchen Renovations" - they turned out beautifully, once they got the grout right. The style of her kitchen was very close to what you are going for (me too), but I cannot locate any pictures yet. I'll keep trying.

• Fori
    13 years ago

Jjean, and other Michiganders...don't miss Motawi in Ann Arbor!

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

I used Walker Zanger Gramercy Park subways in "Victorian Green" for our refresh.

• sw_in_austin
    13 years ago

We used a medium green subway from Sonoma Tileworks; it's their Star line in Trellis Green. The accent tile is also from Sonoma; it's Tantrum in Tazo.

From Finished Kitchen
    From Finished Kitchen

• mikomum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

fori---those are amazing! Probably more intricate then I want in the kitchen but the art history buff in me is drooling. I do have an ensuite bathroom to do too..... The green on the bottom is the shade that I have in my head for the kitchen, that lovely near bottle green.gbsim---very nice! My husband is drawn to those, I think he and I are thinking about two different shades.

I haven't ruled out making my own tiles ala Pewabic (I'm a ceramist--potter/sculpture)but I'm not sure if I want to go down that road.

Thank you all for your posts!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

hi miko...

Just want to say to gbsim that I'm an admirer of your kitchen. All of your choices work so well together. I first saw it in a backsplash thread a little while back...Those green tiles stole my heart!

Everyone keep posting those green tiles please...

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

KA:)

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

Here's a nice mexican handpainted green by Solistone:

{{!gwi}}

And here's Solistone Folia glass tile in patio verde, which has gorgeous painted foliage patterns under the glass, perhaps the best of both worlds?:
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: solistone folia

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

gbsim - I came across your kitchen a while back, beautiful, great materials/colors, unique. I am so glad I now know whose it is and the source of the tiles. I am going to check them out.

Does anyone have tiles that are similar to gbsim but a little less saturated, maybe even barely green (a little white or gray), preferably the handmade style that has variation in color, but not a minty green.

Love to see more green tiles :)

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Status Ceramics may have what you're imagining.

Here is a link that might be useful: PDF available

• magic_arizona
    13 years ago

I won't post pictures of my kitchen because it's not near as fancy as some of you'alls but here is the green tile I have and I love it. It sounds like something you are looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green tile

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Here are some green backsplash tiles. Maybe these can help.

• pfmastin
    13 years ago

sparklekitty,
    Oh gosh, I just looked at my "spares" and there is no box with a name. I think I posted it here on KF a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can find it and let you know.

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Kitchendetective - beautiful source, thanks. I think they might have something, and there is a retailer not too far. Boxerpups, Right on for what I was looking for, as usual. Really like the samples of green paired with medium warm wood.

• mikomum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Boxerpups, that second to last subway tile is what I'm envisioning at this point---those are some beautiful examples!

• doonie
    13 years ago

These aren't backsplashes, but I have used this company for some decorative tiles that I hung in my bathroom. It is hand made.
    The field tiles are very pretty and the fireplace surrounds below show the tile colors so well, that I thought it was helpful to
    post them. The artists name is Josh Blanc and he is a super guy to work with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clay Squared to Infinity

• blondelle
    13 years ago

Gbsim, I love your kitchen and colors. Would you mind sharing the name of the granite you used? Thanks!

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Thanks so much Sparkle and Blondelle! I had posted a bunch of pictures and long description of our refresh, but only got a handful of responses. I chalked it up to being non white and not a total gut.

I am absolutely crazy about the WZ tiles and will be using them in the new build next year. Fingers crossed that they are still available. They are technically a crackle, but at least in the green it almost impossible to see any crackles.

The granite is called Revelation.... cream colored background color, brown rust and gray so it goes with about everything!

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

gbsim - I can't believe you didn't get raves for your "refresh" - what I love is you worked to compliment what you had (I think oak cabinets) with very sharp but non-trendy choices in hardware, counter and back splash. The funny thing is I was so wowed with your material choices that I didn't realize it was a refresh until you wrote it. When I looked back at the photo I notice the older appliances - LOL!

Or maybe I just have a little oak-painted-white refresh fatigue or I love soft greens... Looking forward to hearing about your new build.

• mikomum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gbsim, your kitchen just looks so tranquil. The tile looks great with the natural light.

• doonie
    13 years ago

Gbsim, Your kitchen is beautiful! That is a gorgeous selection of green tile that coordinates perfectly with your other elements. That
    is the kind of kitchen I would feel comfortable and at ease working in. For what it's worth, I felt the same way you do with my wood kitchen
    and it was a complete gut. It left me wondering if I really made the right decisions after all the kitchen angst and expense!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio