Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help picking a slab (super white quartzite)

Posted by bluej422 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 18:23

Newbie here who would love your help picking out our slab for our kitchen countertops. Both options are called Super White quartzite/dolomite, but one is more chunky and the other is more veiny/flowly. Not sure which to pick, so any advice is appreciated. Cabinets are very light natural maple shaker, stainless appliances, darker bamboo flooring. The kitchen itself gets lots of light (skylights and garden window). Thanks in advance!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help picking a slab (super white quartzite)

I think the first one highlights what the beauty of that stone is suppose to show. The second gives more of an all over gray appearance.

o

ditto, 1st one has more character. I chose the same stone for my master - it's being installed Monday. It's been so long, that I forget what our slab looks like. But we chose based on character of the pattern.

o

I like the second one because, to me, it's more subtle.

o

Love the first one!

o

gorgeous!

(so is #1, but I am a swirly person)

o

I vote #2...1 is a tad busy.

o

I like number one. that is what we have in our kitchen and it just looks great.

o

Definitely #2.

o

2 for me

o

Definitely #2

I like swirls!

o

2 for me too.

o

When I hold stuff up to my screen so I only see countertop width pieces of the slabs, I prefer #2 by a mile.

Any gauge of which slab is more stable? If it was really a tie in my head I'd ask the fabricator, "which one will have a stronger edge & hold up better to accidental abuse?"

o

Love both - first one makes a statement. The second one is subtle but gorgeous.

o

Do you have a sample of your cabinets that you could place alongside these. It makes a big difference seeing a context for a surface.

o

I like the first one, it's absolutely stunning. The second one is too gray and cold looking for my taste. Good Luck!

o

Wow! Thanks for all the input -- seems like it might just be a matter of personal choice. But we're still not sure which one speaks to us...

I like the advice about asking our fabricator his thoughts on durability.

o

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. After much flip flopping, we chose option #1 and here's what our template looks like. I can't quite picture how it'll all look fit together, so any input about template placement is also appreciated. Thanks!
Photobucket

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here