Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Drama

Posted by motherof3sons (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 18:19

Today I come home looking forward to seeing my beautiful custom cabinets near completion. They are gorgeous - a blend of antiqued cherry and a warm white paint. I am watching the cabinetmaker install the doors and he is having some degree of difficulty. I then hear, "These stiles don't match." At that point I realize none of the door stiles align on the uppers.

If ever there was a time for a drink, it was at that moment. Our wonderful and ever so even-tempered cabinet maker said, "Well, I guess I will just have to remake all the doors." All of them? Yup, all of them.

My frustration level is mounting because he assured us all cabinetry for the house would be completed in mid-May. Well, here it is approaching mid-October and we are now at least two weeks from completion. We are unable to get a mortgage because the house is not 100% complete. We have paid interest only on the construction loan because of the cabinets not being completed. The one salvation is he has agreed to pay "some" of the interest. I think the master bathroom cabinetry will be free.

If you read this entire post, thank you for letting me vent.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Drama

It's stressful for sure so go ahead and rage! I'm sure we all can relate from past experience or will be facing it in the future. But it is what it is, can't do anything about it now. On the bright side be happpy you have a cabinet maker who is honest and owned up to the fact that they don't fit and will have to remake them. There are many others who would try and hide it, make a botched repair and try to get you to cover the cost!

Good luck. Can't wait to see your finished kitchen...as I'm sure you are too! :>)

o

I feel your pain. I am doing a modest update. Just reface cabinets and get new doors and drawers. I am now waiting for the third set of doors/drawers as the first two sets were partially wrong. Supposed to have been finished in June. It will be nice when it is done whenever that is.

o

I agree there isn't a lot to be done but I can understand your frustration. Trades don't always love me but I would want to know what went wrong? That's quite a significant and expensive error (for him). I don't think it needs to be a big drama but I'd be curious.

o

I'm so sorry. I can understand your frustration. We are waiting for an appraisal to refinance but of course need to wait for the kitchen to be finished. That, however, isn't as stressful as needing a mortgage. Time will come when this will all be over and you will have your beautiful new home completed.

o

To Mother of 3 sons... I am feeling your pain today :( After waiting many months for our cabinets to be completed and they finally are... The installers for our quartz counters were here today, but could not install due to the base cabinets not being level. I was instantly SICK. My husband/son tell me this really isn't that big of a deal? My carpenter son thinks he can level them fairly easily. The problem is TIME... My son and cabinet maker are both busy... Also; the fabricators who cut my quartz counter cut the peninsula top one inch too short... so now we must wait a few weeks for that to be re-cut. Can you tell I'm feeling your pain?
It is what it is... I have to keep telling myself this. Thanks for letting me vent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here