Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fatz2fly

KitchenAid Induction Cooktop

Brian Fatzinger
9 years ago

Thinking of buying a Whirlpool branded (Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air) induction cooktops - or any Whirlpool appliance for that matter? Before you do, read about our experience with KitchenAid. It worked for two weeks and will be out of service for a month!

KitchenAid Induction Cooktop Model #KICU509XSS-00; Serial #XP42511052

9/23/14 - Installed

10/10/14 - Our new KitchenAid induction cooktop failed on Friday night as pasta was boiling on the 11" burner. Understandably, KitchenAid customer service was not available until Monday morning.

10/13/14 - On Monday morning KitchenAid gave me the names of two warranty service companies in our area. The first company declined to service KitchenAid induction cooktops. The second company, Authorized Appliance, scheduled an appointment.

10/16/14 - Authorized Appliance, disassembled and tested the cooktop, and then called KitchenAid. KitchenAid's tech support rep, Dave, advised the Authorized Appliance repair person that the main power board was defective. The part was ordered.

10/21/14 - Authorized Appliance returned to install the new main power board. The cooktop did not function after the new power board was installed. Authorized Appliance called KitchenAid tech support to report that the replacement power board did not resolve the problem. KitchenAid techs Bob and Rob advised that the two controller boards would then need to be replaced. The parts were ordered.

10/23/14 - Authorized Appliance called to advise that the two controller boards were not stocked by KitchenAid parts distributors and could take ten days or more to arrive.

10/23/14 - I called KitchenAid and spoke to Tory at Benton Harbor. I explained that our four-week old induction cooktop had already been out of service for two weeks and we faced the prospect of two more weeks without it. Tori looked up the required parts and confirmed that they were non-stock parts and would take 7-10 days to ship. I suggested that it was unreasonable for KitchenAid to expect us to be without a cooktop for a month and that KitchenAid should immediately replace it. Tori was sympathetic with our problem, but was not empowered to help. She transferred me to her supervisor, James Kuhn. Mr. Kuhn advised that replacing the defective cooktop was not an option, despite the unavailability of parts. I inquired whether Mr. Kuhn thought it was reasonable customer service for a brand new cooktop to be out of service for a month. Mr. Kuhn agreed that it was not necessarily reasonable customer service. However, he explained that only the engineers could authorize replacement of a cooktop. Mr. Kuhn further explained that the engineers would not authorize a replacement until all repair options were exhausted, regardless of how long the cooktop was out of service. I requested to speak to either Mr. Kuhn's supervisor or a KitchenAid senior engineer. Mr. Kuhn denied my request, explaining that KitchenAid customers were not allowed to speak to engineers or senior managers!!

Comments (6)