Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsjoe_gw

Soft close on corner cabinets

mrsjoe
11 years ago

I am at my wits end with my cabinet company, and I'm hoping that someone in the know here can help keep me from going completely insane. We have an angled corner on both the upper and lower. All our doors have been made soft close by using the extra attachment piece. Lo and behold they get to the corners and realize the attachment piece doesn't work there. They tried to act like there was nothing they could do about it, so I searched on here and it seemed the wisdom was to use a hinge with integrated soft close. I told them this, and they went back to their supplier and came out today with new hinges. Well, they installed them and the door still doesn't soft close, and once again, they are acting like there is nothing they can do, so it is once again left to me to figure out how they should do their job. Alledgely I am the first customer ever to care about soft close on my corner. More like, I am the first customer who didn't give up on them.

I've read here some soft close hinges have on/off, so I looked for something like that and they didn't seem to have it, but maybe I'm missing something. They are using all Salice hinges, but that's all I know about them.

My inclination is to suspect they don't have something installed correctly because of the issues I've had so far, but I have no idea what to even look for.

Any ideas? If they can't get these to work, any suggestions as to the exact hinge I should make them get me? Cabinets are frameless. I tried to get pics, but my camera flash is missing, so they're not the best. If there is something specific on the hinge someone needs to see, let me know and I'll do my best to capture a photo of it.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• northcarolina
    11 years ago

If it makes you feel better, Ikea cabinets (which come with Blum soft close as a standard feature on doors and drawers) don't have soft close on their corner cabinets either. They have different stoppers instead, so the door doesn't bang too hard when you close it. I assume that there is something about the hinges that makes it either impossible or not cost-effective to install soft close on the corner cabinets.

• northcarolina
    11 years ago

I just had a look at mine, and the Blum hinge looks like yours. No, I don't see any way to install a soft close on it (at least not one like the other cabinets have) because of the way that hinge is shaped at the front to accommodate the angle of the door.

• homebound
    11 years ago

Interesting. What cabinet manufacturer are you using?

In your situation, it does sound like installing integrated soft-close hinges would work. I'll bet the manufacturer they're using doesn't offer them...and it can be a pain to find the right ones for different cabinetry.

I have more or less the opposite problem with Kraftmaid cabinets. They all have integrated soft-close doors. Trouble is that the knobs on the corner cabinets are now hitting the wall (when open), even with filler strips to push the cabs away from the corner. Kraftmaid doesn't offer a soft-close hinge with a tighter swing radius (I think these are 115 degree), but the client wants the soft-close. This has to be a common problem, and I'll probably end up installing little stop chains, but I'd rather not.

• homebound
    11 years ago

Maybe this link will help finding the right ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salice hinges

• Gracie
    11 years ago

Homebound, I have Blum soft-close hinges that stop before hitting my refrigerator enclosure. I think it's a 90 degree hinge.

• cabmanct
    11 years ago

This is what you need

Here is a link that might be useful: Blum Clip Top 45 Degree Diagonal

• cabmanct
    11 years ago

Sorry Page 21

If you are having a hard time sourcing them contact me and I will get them for you.

• mrsjoe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. My cabinets are custom, and from what I've learned I am pretty sure they lied/misled about their experience. They've supposedly been in business 5 years and claim to have done high end kitchens, but somehow I am the first person ever to want anything besides a white melamine interior and soft close on my corner door. There have also been lots of other little issues along the way. The one thing they did a great job on was the countertop, as they are also a counter fabricator. If I had to guess, I'm thinking that they started as a countertop company and then decided to get into cabinets just recently, but weren't up front about that fact. I know they have had a lot of commercial jobs too, so I wouldn't be surprised to discover their kitchen experience was limited. It would explain why they had no complaints against them, since they do great counters, but who knows...

Anyway, I didn't notice it before, but I see now that the hinges on each of the doors don't match, so I'm pretty sure she tried to go budget and only put one soft-close hinge on each door. I know someone else on here had a similar issue with Blum hinges and when they called Blum were told their installer needed to have both hinges be soft close as it wouldn't work with one.

Hopefully that's all it is on mine and I can finally be done with this company. Luckily everything looks great. I'm sure things could have been a lot worse

• michelleandbrett
    3 years ago

@mrsjoe did you ever find a soft close that worked? I have same issue with everything being soft-close except our upper corner cabinet and its driving me crazy every time it slams.

• Rosa Webb
    3 years ago

I just contact BLUM about my Ikea Akurum corner cabinet hinge not being soft close in case they've come up w/something new since I bought my kitchen 12 years ago. They told me that the current Utrusta Ikea corner hinge could be used as a replacement ... but ... its still not soft close. Has been making me crazy for 12 years !!!!