Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahdanna_gw

HELP - do people do granite backsplashes anymore?

sarahdanna
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are almost done with our kitchen for our new construction house - finally! We are going to have granite countertops and I'd like subway tiles for a backsplash. The granite fabricator told me that he likes to put in a granite backsplash (3 inches) b/c it seals the granite to the wall. I told him that when I look at kitchens that I like, I typically don't see a granite backsplash with the tiles - I just see tiles for the backsplash. He said that I don't want it like this b/c the grout next to the granite will become dirty and we will need to re-grout it every now and then. The upkeep will be horrible.

What do you guys think? Do people do granite backsplashes when they are using subway tiles as the backsplash? I really need your wisdom as I feel like I'm losing my mind over all of these house decisions! Please help a frantic working mom of an 18 mo old that is also trying to build a new house! Thank you in advance. Sarah

Comments (11)

• function_first
    12 years ago

Trust your instincts and do not go with the granite b/s. I think fabricators like it because it means they don't have to be as precise when fitting the slab to the wall because the b/s has a lot more thickness to it than a piece of tile does. If you don't want it, there is no reason you need to have one and now is the time to refuse it because if they put it in taking it out later will be difficult to impossible because the gap under it will most likely be too big to be covered by tile. Stand your ground.

• sprtphntc7a
    12 years ago

i agree with kris ma on every point.

i think it looks dated and your backsplash will look so much better. you can google it and see for yourself or look on the finished kitchen blog for some inspiration.

stand your ground and trust your instincts!!

• spincrazy25
    12 years ago

I did subway tiles down to the countertop, no 3" backsplash. The previous poster is right-the fabricator will need to be more precise since there is less margin for error. One thing I learned after the fact- wherever there is a change in direction, like the joint betweem the backsplash and the counter, caulk should be used, not grout. Good Luck!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

There have been a few recent threads on this. I think only 1-2 people have done this recently. It comes across as very dated to most of us. It also seems lazy to me because the fabricators don't have to be precise at the counter and wall junction as the granite strip can hide it. I don't like them because, if you're going to add tile above, it seems visually messy. The horizontal line created by the granite strip distracts from the tile above.

It's just not necessary to run a granite strip. Unless you really have your heart set on it for some reason, I'd skip it.

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

He said that I don't want it like this b/c the grout next to the granite will become dirty and we will need to re-grout it every now and then. The upkeep will be horrible.

Uh huh. Well, if you put grout next to the granite where the tile meets the counter, yes, you'll have issues. Issue #1 is that a decent tile installer will know that you put caulk there, not grout. If you put grout there, his prediction might come true.

Some have suggested that his recommendation allows him to make a sloppier edge that doesn't need to be neat and close. Perhaps you need to see a job of his in progress before a backsplash covers up his work. Does it look like this? It should.

• sarahdanna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! I really needed your advice/opinions. I think I will call the granite guy and tell him NO granite backsplash - the way I wanted it from the beginning!

• chiefy
    12 years ago

One contractor I had come in for an estimate warned me that the cost of the granite backsplash is ridiculously expensive in comparison to the cost of the actual counter. So one more reason to avoid it!

• prospect711
    12 years ago

I guess we are the outliers then. We did a short backsplash in the counter material (soapstone) with tile above.

• ellenm08
    12 years ago

I say go with whatever YOU like best. I know it's not the ideal answer, but my best advice is to go with your initial gut feeling. With all of the projects I've done I really feel like your gut feeling is usually always right. I've been working on figuring out my own (I'm in the subway tiles vs mosaics pickle - I know, a long way off from a decision!) found this article and it's one I referred to when I was starting the decision process - there are so many great options out there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Choosing a Backsplash

• sskit
    12 years ago

Chiefy we just did a full granite backsplash and it was less than 50% of the cost of the counter. Certainly still not cheap but nowhere near the cost of counter. We loved how it came out!