Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
S/O: Cabinets and humidity

Posted by eleena (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 17:58

Just saw on another recent trend that their cabinets were designed for 35% humidity. Seriously?

While I *can* (theoretically) go to each manufacturer's website to check their specs, it is not very feasible time-wise.

IF you know what the requirement for your cabs was, could you post, PLEASE?

We do have heat in colder months and AC in summer and one of them is always on as we don't have those nice New England or California days when it is warm enough to turn off the heater but not hot to require an AC. :-( :-)

However, the humidity is often 50% in summer. I don't want to have AC any higher (i.e., colder) to lower the humidity as it would be too cold.

What should/could I do?

BTW, I have been thinking of non-wood sink and oven cabinets for a long time.

I definitely don't want particle boards, though I know there is such thing as marine particle board.

Is there anything else, except for stainless steel?

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: S/O: Cabinets and humidity

20-40% relative humidity should be strived for in your home's environment for your own comfort as well as the stability of your wood. Yes, cabinets spec that, as does wood flooring. If your AC doesn't provide that in summer, then it is either oversized, running at the wrong speed, or you live in a temperate climate where the use of a dehumidifier would be more appropriate.

o

For their furniture collections museums strive to keep the humidity steady in all seasons. The biggest damage to wood is caused by wide fluctuations in humidity. I would think if you could keep the same humidity year round you should be okay even if the humidity in your home is higher than 20-40%.

o

Got home and checked. It turns out that 50% was too optimistic. It is actually 65% right now.

AC was serviced not so long ago.

I live in the SE, it is very humid here. I don't think 65% is unusual (but I really hate it being so humid as I grew up in a dry climate).

Who should I check with if this is normal?

o

We too live in the humid south and run a dehumidifier all the time. It pumps a LOT of water out of our air - several gallons a day. I don't know if you would want to run a separate dehumidifier but for LA (Lower Alabama) we find it really helpful.

o

In Fl where I live humidity ranges between about 30% on the driest day in the winter to well over 90% in the worst part of the summer. 96% humidity isn't unusual here.

Check wunderground for the stats for your area if you don't know.

o

Oh, I meant humidity in the house.

The outside humidity is out of control all summer long, cannot breathe!

I have never thought of a dehumidifier. Thanks for the tip!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here