Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annac54

Sometimes you get lucky - granite remnant

annac54
9 years ago

This is about a bathroom vanity top, but since a hot topic lately has been stoneyards, I thought I would share. We bought a bathroom vanity on CL that had a damaged top. We figured we could find a stone remnant and have a new one made, so went out looking this weekend. We checked a couple who said they had remnants but really didn't. The area of town we were looking in has a lot of stoneyards and fabricators. We got pricing on a prefab counter that could be cut down if we couldn't find anything else. A fabricator who had remnants wanted to sell us a piece of leftover prefab marble counter for $500 (just the material). We had seen the same thing elsewhere for $325 for a whole 8 foot piece. We were on our way home and saw another yard and stopped in. Back in a corner we found a broken slab piece that was just the right size. I'm sure they just hadn't gotten around to throwing it out yet. We got it for $25 and it's much nicer than the top it is replacing. Sometimes you just have to keep looking and be a little flexible, and learn from what you see. You should also keep your "BS detector" on, just in case you run into a supplier who's hoping to get lucky too. :)

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks