Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mltoms

Mid-range Install Pics

mltoms
10 years ago

Hi all, I have received lots of help and ideas both directly and via lurking on this forum. Thought I would share my progress.

First, the "Before." This is what it looked like when we bought the house.

Couldn't stand the wallpaper, so we stripped it and painted it a bright yellow. But the weird angles, pickled oak cabinets and everything else was still there:

Lots of people helped with a layout discussion here. Special thanks to bmorepanic for the idea to angle the pantry doors.

Here's the final layout:

Demo started Thursday, 9/26. Moving the plumbing, removing 2" of cement under the previous foyer's tile, building back up the floor with plywood, angling the pantry door, installing the vent for the hood, and painting took until 10/15.

New Pantry door:

Vent:

Cabinets started going in last week. Stalled a bit while we wait on a new cabinet because 1 was broken. But floor tile went in.

Here's how they handled the HVAC register. It will still be a pretty useful cabinet, including a functioning drawer.

So far here's what's installed:
Cabinets: Wolf Shaker in White and Dark Sable
Tile: Idea Ceramica in Tuscany Grey
Paint: Sherwin Williams Matte Enamel in Rare Gray

Quartz will be coming next week :)

Comments (25)

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Your kitchen looks very nice. You did a great job of making it more functional as well as modernizing. Looking forward to more photo's as you progress. Good choices, and love that bay window too!

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

Oh, a fellow mid-range remodeller! It's looking great! Our counters also go in this week. Love the size of your island. Looking forward to more pics. Wishing you smooth sailing the rest of the way.

• taggie
    10 years ago

Looking good! Those cabinets are really beautiful. Looking forward to your final reveal!! Congrats on the great looking and functional space.

• mltoms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks SparklingWater, ck_squared and taggie! I felt that something was right when the cabinet installer was talking about how great the island was with all that storage. He said, "the only problem is it gives me all these lines that I have to even out." Sounds like a good sign to me!

And ck_sqaured, I just searched and found your cabinet doors. Gorgeous!!! Ours is definitely a mid-range. We've splurged on some items, but the all white Kenmore fridge and DW are going right back in :)

• friedajune
    10 years ago

Lovely! What a difference from what it was before! Just wondering, what sink and faucet you going to get?

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Love the wall color, love the tall cabinets, love the pantry door! You are going to be so happy in this kitchen!

This post was edited by annkh on Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 20:16

• mltoms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annkh, thanks! I got giddy when I saw the full height cabinets.

akchicago: that's my splurge! We're getting the Blanco Precis with drainer and another Blanco bar sink. Both in silgranit, truffle.

The faucets will be the Delta Trinsic (one of each size).

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

mltoms - Looking good! What quartz are you going with?

• kam76
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Can't wait to see it when it is done. Are all the drawer faces slab? It kind of looks like it in one photo.

• mltoms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BlackChamois: It will be Ajanta quartz all over. The cool part is that one slab will fit (just barely) the island, so no seams!
    {{!gwi}}

kam76: Yes, all drawers are slab. With so many drawer banks, it's almost like we have two different door styles, but I still like it. I'm not a big fan of 5 piece drawer fronts.

• kam76
    10 years ago

Cool! I had a panic moment because we are doing the same thing and I have a lot of drawer bases, I was worried it would look "off". I'd love to see a pic of your drawer bases if you get a chance. Your kitchen is so lovely I am sure they look great, and this is setting my mind at ease.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

mltoms, I love that quartz! Anything with a touch of sparkle appeals to me, and blue is a fav!

Btw, you will love your Blanco Precis with drainer. I have the Blanco Precis Cascade find it a great product.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Wow- what a change - it is looking great so far.
    I can't figure out why you didn't like the old wallpaper - LOL
    Keep those pictures flying!!

• msrose
    10 years ago

Wow, I thought I was looking at my mother's old kitchen at first. It turned out really good and I love the paint color. That's one I've never heard of.

• mltoms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

msrose - that is uncanny!!! I bet our kitchen had similar knobs before the previous owner replaced them. You mom's kitchen seems a little bit "higher end" though: tile floor, molding, and framed cabinets. I don't want to tell you how bad our unframed particle board cabinets were after 25 years.

Kam76 et al., here are so more pics. Got the cabinets mostly done today. All the molding is up, and the hardware is on. I didn't realize that they were going to put two handles on the large drawers.

• kam76
    10 years ago

Wow thanks for posting those! I am loving it. The slab drawer bases look great.

• tmy_jax
    10 years ago

Comin' along beautifully! Looking forward to the pics with the quartz!

• mltoms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Semi-quartz installation today. They messed up the template (centered the sink opening instead of centering the double bowls on the sink base and letting the drain board extend to the right.

So, now backsplash and appliances are held up. Don't know how much the delay will be.

BUT, here are picks. Quartz is Hanstone Ajanta.

Because of the weird window we decided to do a quartz 4" backsplash on that side.

The silgranit sink in truffle is an even better match in real life than in this picture

• romy718
    10 years ago

Really pretty. All your colors are working so well together. Love your kitchen!

• mltoms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We're almost done!! Quartz was successfully installed on Tuesday. Backsplash yesterday. Here's some pics:

Big Daddy Sink's home:

The drainboard extends over the base cabinet to the right. A small cutout (about 1") on the left side of the base cabinet allows it to sit nicely.

And surrounded by quartz and backsplash

There's only three seams (And two are just for the piece of quartz at the back of the range). The one large seam is just to the left of the lazy susan. I think they did a good job.

Here's a picture of the backsplash (sorry I don't know the name right now. Will try to get it)

I like it. It works really well with the floors, cabinets, and quartz. But it's making our gray walls pull a little green. But, if I had to have one item not work, it would be the paint. I can change that.

Here's a pic of the coffee area.

Sorry for the pic quality. Just snapped a few in the early morning light before heading to work.

Should reach 95% completion today with final electrician work and appliance install!!

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

It looks FABULOUS!!! I agree with you regarding the wall color - one of the easiest changes to make and all within your control.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Whoa, that looks really good and the sink is fabulous! I wish that we'd have had room for one of those drainboard sinks.

Such a wonderful kitchen!

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Agree with others, it's a great space all the way around. Love the Blanco sinks :). Love the quartz and they did do a nice job on that seam. Love the contrast cab colors. As a small/medium kitchen owner, I particularly like the space! Great job!

• john726
    7 years ago

We're thinking about going with the Wolf Classic in Shaker White. Would you go that route again, 3 years later?

• john726
    6 years ago

I’m going to answer my own question. NO. I regret purchasing the Wolf classic cabinets. Look great but not durable. Drawers and sliders are not sturdy. Bowing drawer bottoms and derailing slides.