Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sosouper

What can you do with a 9' cabinet?

sosouper
12 years ago

We have a small space next to our dishwasher that can fit a 9 inch cabinet. What can you do with this size space?

Comments (17)

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Tray cabinet?

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

We have an 8" cabinet next to our stove that houses a wok and the drawer holds all of the large BBQ stuff that never seems to fit anywhere else. We may house cookie sheets there someday, but for now I'm happy the wok has a home.

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

We kept our cutting boards and cookie trays in a space like that.

• northcarolina
    12 years ago

We have a 9" cabinet next to the sink. The bottom part holds cookie sheets, cooling racks, cutting boards, and pizza pans. There are two shelves in it as well; we keep rolling pins on one and grill equipment (skewers, tongs, wire brush etc) on the other.

• chibimimi
    12 years ago

On one side of our cooktop we have one that holds our knives. There's a "shelf" about 6 inches down from the top with three length-wise slots in it that the knives slide into. The handles are all easy to grab and the blades are safe.

On the other side of the cooktop is another with a center divider. On one side is are shallow shelves for oils, vinegars, and other such. On the other are hooks for cooking utensils like spatulas.

• chibimimi
    12 years ago

Oops, got the configuration wrong. It should be:

On one side of our cooktop we have 9" pullout that is divided in two. One side holds our knives. There's a "shelf" about 6 inches down from the top with three length-wise slots in it that the knives slide into. The handles are all easy to grab and the blades are safe. On the other sideare hooks for cooking utensils like spatulas.

On the other side of the cooktop is another 9" pullout with shelves for oils, vinegars, and other such.

• robbcs3
    12 years ago

spice pullout

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

Can you post a picture Chibimimi - we have skinny cabinets on either side of our rangetop bump out and don't know what to do with them:

• biochem101
    12 years ago

you would be surprised how much 9" holds.
    The full 24" deep one in lower cabs holds two sets of trays.
    Large cookie sheets stand in the back, and small toaster oven trays in the front.
    The upper one being less deep makes a good spice pullout.

• Buehl
    12 years ago

It could be used for trays or cutting boards. If it's a full-height, then I would put a fixed (but adjustable) shelf on top for narrow, long items. Even with a top drawer, you could add a shelf and store your trays and/or cutting boards the long way in.

It could have a pullout inside that has a peg or magnet board to hold utensils, pots & pans, measuring cups, etc. See the links below for some ideas.

It could have a dish towel pullout to hang wet dish towels (again, I would put a shelf above).

Since it's next to the DW, a "filler" pullout probably wouldn't work unless you have 9-3/4" to work with. That would be room for a 3/4" panel and then a 9" space for a 9" filler pullout (base filler pullouts come in 3", 6", and 9" sizes; upper cabinet filler pullouts come in 3" and 6" sizes). Filler pullouts attach to the cabinets on either side. With a DW, you don't have a cabinet on one side, but if you have room for a 3/4" panel you can "create" a wall to use.

See the links at the bottom of this post for some ideas.

We have 6" cabinets flanking our cooktop and use one for baking/cookie decorating items and the other for often-used spices and things like molasses, honey, etc. These are basically filler pullouts, so we get the full-width instead of losing 1" to 1-1/2" to cabinet walls.

As promised...the links!

Base Cabinet Pullout Organizer

Base Cabinet Pullout Organizer with Stainless Panel

Base Cabinet Pullout Tray Divider/Foil Holder

Undersink Pullout Towel Holder

Filler pullouts - Base Cabinets:

Filler Pullout Organizer with Wood Adjustable Shelves

Filler Pullout Organizer with Stainless Panel

Filler Pullout Organizer with Wood Adjustable Shelves/Stainless Panel

FYI...they're less expensive on other sites, so while the Rev-A-Shelf site is a great place to "window shop", purchase elsewhere! (online as well as brick & mortar stores)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rev-A-Shelf Base Cabinets

• rdw829
    11 years ago

*bump* Thanks to a mistake, just found out we will probably be adding two 9 inch cabinets - for a total of three.

My contractor has talked about cutting down a 12 inch spice pullout to fit - I wonder if we would be better off buying something new. (He wants to cut it down b/c he has it for free, and he is paying to fix the mistake).

Any other advice for 9" cabinets? Also, if we do a spice rack pullout - would you do it in an upper cab or lower cab?

Thanks!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We had a small space next to our sink and used it for a dishtowel holder...

• viki412ag
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I'm also looking into doing the pull-outs next to each side of the range. We're currently pricing out Krafmaid, and it seems that the actual shelf width on the base 9 inch pull out is only about 4.4 inches, which was a shock for me. Can anyone comment on the actual shelf width on their 9 inch pull out or on their 6 inch pull out?

I think I agree with comment from 'buehl'. I think since space isn't lost with a 6 inch pull out, I may actually have more shelf space on a 6inch then a 9inch.

I'd appreciate if some of your could let me know what yours measure and the brand if you still remember it.

Thanks everyone!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I have a 9" in my MBR, believe it or not.
    Since I don't have medicine cabinets, I needed something really easy.
    It is about 4.5" when it's all said and done. I keep creams and lotions, then on the bottom some cleaning supplies.

I don't have more space in my 6" one that's in the kitchen. It's actually about the same.

I can't help but wonder what the OP ended up doing. THREE 9" cabinets? Imagine. That could be a nice 27" cabinet, or an 18 + 9".

Sounds like her cabinet guy messed up & I'd like to know how she ended up.

• modern_mom35
    11 years ago

we have three 9" pull-outs in our kitchen. one is in the base cab area and we use it for cutting boards. two are up, framing the hood. those have spices and dry goods (rice, cous cous, etc...) it's a good size, much wider than you would think.

• Zacharé Daugharty
    8 years ago

I have three such spaces in my kitchen. One now holds a narrow wine chiller. The two by the sink are used for clean recycling and shopping bags.