Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My garbage disposal stinks! please help?

Posted by mom2sethc (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 17:46

Hello,

My garbage disposal stinks! It is a musty smell, not a food smell. I do not use it, very rarely does any food go into it. It makes my whole house smell. What can I do to get rid of it? I've tried hot soapy water, lemons, baking soda, vinegar. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My garbage disposal stinks! please help?

I've had good luck with Citrasolv.

o

My plumber advised grinding a tray of ice cubes about once a month, said that the ice chips worked like thousands of tiny knives scraping the inside of the disposal. YMMV, but it works great for me. Good luck with whatever methods you try.

o

Not to assume anything but have you made sure you don't have something stuck in there that never was ground up the last time you used it?

o

Have you checked under your rubber splash guard to see what lurks?

o

And when you run it, even rarely, make sure you flush with plenty of water and leave the water running for a minute after you're done.

o

I recently took out the rubber splash guard and washed it carefully and then ran the machine with lots of water. Other times a sliced lemon or lime works.

o

i shove down the disposal periodically left over lemons and toss in some baking soda, works like a charm.

but a disposal smelling the whole house up - are you sure nothing has died in there???

o

Check your DW discharge hose to make sure it has the high loop before discharging into the disposal. If it doesn't, then you could have yuck backing up into the hose, and potentially into your DW as well.

If that's fine, then grind up ice and lemon peels.

o

I had the same problem for awhile, off and on. It smelled like rotting potatoes (I'm sure many of you know exactly what I"m talking about - not pleasant!) I tried most of the advice listed above. It would go away and then come back. Not sure what it ever was but wondered if the smell was coming from deep in the pipes.

o

Baking Soda and hydrogen peroxide.. the best natural deodorizer
and disenfectant available.. Vinegar works well with baking soda too..
Vinegar is a very good disinfectant., Baking Soda best deodorizer..

o

If you do not use it, why don't you just take it out? Nothing left to smell and you won't even miss it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here