Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
still_lynnski

keeping it mellow with red and black?

still_lynnski
13 years ago

This kitchen wasn't actually planned--it was created through a series of unanticipated changes in our lives and attempts to keep expenditures down to a dull roar. Anyhoo, without going into sordid personal details, suffice to say that I have bright red glossy ikea cabinets. They are fun, and they work in our home. I don't have photos, but here are some images from elsewhere on the web:

http://interiordesignhouses.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Small-Kitchen-Design.jpg

I also have black countertops. They are phenolic resin (Trespa) and have a subtle sheen that's not the least bit glossy.

http://remodelista.com/img/sub/dsc-0003.jpg

All the floors are oak without any shiny finish--just Danish oil and lots of dirt.

Most of the first floor (open plan) is painted in Ben Moore Azores, a saturated blue-green paint, http://www.myperfectcolor.com/v/vspfiles/photos/MPC98119-2T.jpg

and heavy cream-painted trim. I also have a raspberry door & accent wall; look for the color called Desertscape:

http://www.prattandlambert.com/images/color-families/chips/Milady.gif

Lots of windows, and gorgeous views outside. Quiet lake, southern New England.

I'm ready to make a kitchen backsplash. With bright red cabinets and black counters, it sounds like a nightclub, but really our home is casual, kinda modern, with a lot of wood furnishings and a few nice pieces of art/glass/ceramics. I'm going for a mellow artsy feel here.

Does any of this suggest an approach to a backsplash that can help mediate between the mellow woodsy vibe and the red & black kitchen? Bless your vision if you can give this a jumpstart!

Comments (9)

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Wood in a finish that will relate to the floors and other wood items. Not a cottage tongue and groove look, but smooth and modern.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

How about a tin or stainless backsplash? Either would be a casual look.
    White or black sheet glass might work as well.
    I could also see a solid black with a 3D relief tile to add some texture but not add to the colors you already have.

• still_lynnski
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your responses! I really appreciate your trying to visualize this without photos. I had been thinking about trying to use a little bit of all the colors in the first floor--just little splashes of vivid color in a softer background. But that suggests a mosaic approach, which is often beautiful but not usually what I think of as mellow.

steff, I've not heard of using wood as a backsplash. It sounds lovely, but I would have thought it difficult to keep clean. Maybe a well-oiled plywood, trimmed with cutoffs from the resin counters...intriguing... Can you suggest any examples of modern wood backsplashes?

dianalo, I love the idea of a 3D relief tile adding texture, as the counters and cabinets are both very smooth. But I wonder about colors. Wouldn't I want to tie in some colors from the rest of the open-plan area? Also, how would you use sheet glass as a backsplash? I'm thinking about how to affix it to the wall without the adhesive showing. I used to do some stained glass work, and I can see how a Mondrian-like geometric patchwork would be really beautiful.

Thanks!

• steff_1
    13 years ago

There have been a number of painted beadboard backsplashes here on GW so wood is definitely an option.

It does fit with your vision for the space as you described it. There is a Birch veneer plywood that might work if you oil it like the floors. If you don't mind the patina on your floors, then a wood backsplash might just work for you.

I did consider a mosaic as an option and thought it might be too much unless you really want to go over the top. A non-glossy black tile would work also.

• lyno
    13 years ago

There are some beautiful wood veneers used as backsplashes at the link below. One is even shown with red cabinets although the counters are sort of a cream color.

I love the red cabinets at the link.

What sort of wood and stain are the wood furniture pieces?

Here is a link that might be useful: wood veneer backsplashes

• still_lynnski
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi lyno,

Those veneers are gorgeous--thanks for the link! Our wood furniture is natural walnut (dining table), natural cherry (dining chairs + a display case), a dark cheapo console table called "rubberwood," and what Ikea calls golden-brown oak for a cool glass/china display cabinet and some small pieces here and there. The floors are quartersawn white oak. Pretty eclectic, but it works for me.

Not that you asked, but upholstered pieces are all solid colors--dark blue velour sofa & armchair, dark raspberry velour dining chairs, and a blue-green leather reclining chair.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think that with all the colors you already have, you may want to use a more neutral textural bs. Nothing boring, but also not a real pattern or change in color. You could also consider a gray as long as it was a cool shade of gray and not warm.
    I'd add the color by what you have on your counter. Kind of the same concept of a neutral couch with more color in the accent pillows which can be changed and swapped out as your mood changes.
    I am not sure how one affixes a glass bs, but you can do a search here or post a question. I know it has been discussed...

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Coincidentally, there was another posting about a glass backsplash posted today. The responses give some good links to information. HTH! Also, I think it was yesterday that there was a posting on using sheets of plywood for wood flooring (also with quite a bit of info in the link given). I don't know why you couldn't use it for a BS. I'll look for it and post another response with the link (if I find it). :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Back painted glass thread

• cjcali
    12 years ago

Hi there. I was curious how the Trespa counters are working for you. Would you do it again? Pros and cons? Thanks!