Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leealison_gw

Opinions on faucet pull down, pull out or side spray

leealison
9 years ago

I would love to hear your thoughts on which you prefer and why. My sink is 4' wide and will have 2 faucets. Think of it as a prep and cleanup sink all in one that can be used by two people. I am stuck on which type of faucet to get.

Pull downs are usually high arc and have a thicker profile. I have one now and love it but having 2 close to each other ...I am not sure about.

Pull outs are ok but I definitely don't want one that angles up. I had that before and when my hands were wet water ran down the whole faucet. There are ones that stick straight out but is that type of spray handle awkward to use.

Side sprays (with a one hole faucet) scare me a little just because I haven't used one since I was growing up (a long time ago). Is the pressure as strong? Is it easy to maneuver with your hand?

I would like to get a faucet that is slightly on the traditional side but I should probably just get over that. I seem to be having some sort of design identity crisis!

I am also considering a Kohler Karbon but that's a whole different animal so to speak.

I

Comments (16)

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I have a side spray from Grohe, and I love it. I know what you mean about pressure in the old ones, but with my new one, there isn't so much as a drip from the faucet when the side spray is on, and I'll bet if I tried I could spray across the room. It's comfortable to use.

I've never used a pull-out or pull-down, so I suffer from a bit of fear of the unknown. I never found a display one that felt comfortable to use, but I realize that they may not have been configured correctly.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

I have 2 Grohe faucets. A pull-down (32 226) on my prep sink and a pull-out (33 893) on my main sink. Both of them having locking buttons for spray which was a must when I chose my faucets. I like them both but if I had to choose, I'd choose the pull-out. Love Grohe! For a sink as big as yours, I'd choose a pull-out.

This post was edited by ck_squared on Tue, Oct 7, 14 at 7:43

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Whatever you choose, make sure the spray locks on! I have this beautiful Grohe pulldown and have to hold the button on the spray to keep it on! :( using two hands to wash dishes or rinse vegetables under the spray is not possible! STUPID DESIGN for such a $$$$ faucet!!

• leealison
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So much to think about! I completely agree about the spray lock button. I was very surprised to find that a few I looked at didn't have one. I have had 2 faucets in 20 years and both had a button to lock the spray on. After using that feature for so long, it didn't occur to me that they all didn't do that.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I had a side spray before remodeling, and thought that I would get a new one since they are more budget friendly; in fact had purchased it already. But I decided that I would rather use the spot for a soap dispenser and switched to a pull-down. I have to say that I am surprised by how much more I like it. Mine has a toggle that stays on spray while in use but will revert back to stream once off -- which I like. It is so easy to use, somehow seems easier than the old side spray.

The only downsides are 1) they are bulkier in profile, which I noticed at first in my small kitchen and small sink, but now I am used to it -- with your huge sink they should be in perfect proportion 2) I can't use my faucet mounted water purifier. Sometimes our water tastes really bad and I miss it!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

The other issue you should pay attention to when selecting a particular faucet if you go for the pull-down or pull-out rather than the side spray (I like pull-down myself) is how you turn the spray off. I like to be able to toggle between spray and stream, but some faucets require you to turn off the faucet to return to stream.

This post was edited by sjhockeyfan on Tue, Oct 7, 14 at 13:52

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have a Hansgrohe pull-down and I love the action. It stays on without having to hold the button down. However, to return to normal flow, I have to turn the water off and on again. I don't need to do that every time I use it, but it can be mildly annoying on occasion. I don't know if there are any with toggle action: click to stay on, click to turn off.

I thought pull-out and side spray were the same things, but I guess not. No experience with them.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i have the delta trinsic pull down and love it. the spray locks on and it is very nice in your hand.

• Fori
    9 years ago

I like a pulldown. Sidespray is too fiddly and pullouts aren't as massive, meaning I don't get the spout length my shortness requires. :)

I have a Kohler Simplice right now as a temporary faucet. It's okay but the spray button doesn't work right. I shoulda exchanged it but I was lazy--Kohler makes a good faucet and I just got a dud.

Previously I had a huuuuge Hansgrohe Allegro Pro, selected purely by size (I was having back issues with the faucet spout length in my unremodeled kitchen). It looked like an alien space craft from the original War of the Worlds movie. Great faucet BUT!

Like others, I found that the HG spray button wasn't a simple on/off mechanism. You could turn it on, you could turn it off, but if you turned off the water, it would revert to stream. Not a big deal unless you are a Tapmaster user trying to conserve water while washing veggies with the sprayer. I'll probably get another one when I remodel anyway. :)

So whatever you get, make sure the spray/stream mechanism works the way you want. What we think is an obvious function may not have occurred to the faucet designers. (The Simplice--if the button acts like it should--is the way it should be. On or off, until you change it.)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I don't know if there are any with toggle action: click to stay on, click to turn off.

Mine does - Hansgrohe Citterio M.

I don't know that there are any that stay on spray when you actually turn off the water.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Ah fori, you bring up another good point: being able to pause the flow, yet keeping either stream or spray. I would be happy just to be able to toggle between the two.

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

I haven't liked side spray faucets since I was a kid and my brother would pull the trick where you put a rubber band on the spray level such that when the faucet is turned on, it sprays water all over the person that turned it on. :-)

I currently have a pull down faucet by Danze, and do not like it. I thought it would have a spray/stream selector based on the description that said "... pulls out to spray your sink ..." but no that was just their way of saying that a pull-down faucet pulls down.

Further the faucet has a flow restrictor that reduces the flow to something like 1/2 gallon / minute. Maybe the restrictor would have been fine if we had 80 psi city water, but with our 30-50 psi well water it is annoyingly anemic.

Lastly the large weight that is supposed to help pull the faucet back into place frequently gets snagged on the various supply and drain pipes beneath the sink, preventing it from pulling out at all.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

OK, so don't get a Danze! But my Hansgrohe has none of those problems :-)

(Bob, can't you remove the flow restrictor?)

• Buehl
    9 years ago

"...I don't know that there are any that stay on spray when you actually turn off the water...."

Our Kohler Vinnata stays on whatever you last used - if you turn off the water with the spray on, it's still on spray when you turn it back on. Ditto for stream. I would not want a faucet that didn't do that!

The only thing it doesn't have that would be nice but isn't a deal-breaker is that I can't turn it off at the faucet head (i.e., "pause") - I have to turn it off at the handle.

• leealison
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your comments :) They have been very helpful. I think I am leaning toward a pull down...maybe. I will be going to look at faucets again on Friday. I am determined to make a final decision so I can move on to all the other decisions I have to make!