Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

Here's what's going on at my house...

beaglesdoitbetter1
12 years ago

We're making very good progress and I figured I'd share for anyone curious...

My pantry:

The shelves will be hung up, creating a counter for the toaster oven;

I see a sink:

Some stained yellow cabinets- these will be continued all the way up the triangle peaked wall:

A half done dining room:

Comments (34)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Wow! Looks great! I hope your tiling situation was resolved to your satisfaction. I want your pantry! :-)

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

I'm intrigued by that pantry. I can't quite figure out how it works. What do you mean by, "The shelves will be hung up..."? And doors...does it have doors? Inquiring minds want to know.

• bahacca
    12 years ago

I am so jealous of a PANTRY! I have this awful "pantry" and then we use our coat closet as one as well. Super jealous here. All of it looks wonderful!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Keep them coming. (Pics of the whole house - please, or are they posted elsewhere?) Can't wait to see it finished.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

We don't even have a pantry, much less one that is like a walk-in closet! Everything looks great. Love that sink.

• enduring
    12 years ago

I love your yellow colored shelving. Really looking forward to seeing more as you progress.

• melaska
    12 years ago

beagles...very intrigued by your pantry! Can you give dimensions? And where is the shelf going to be? Is that a corner lazy susan?

I see the type of corner that I've heard described elsewhere on GW but I don't understand how it works...this is not a regular 90 degree corner? Is that the right term? How is this one different?

The workmanship in your home is amazing. Are you there to watch the build? We'll be right here watching our build this Spring/Summer since we live on the lot. We just got the foundation in - after almost 34 years of dreaming :)

Thanks for sharing...looking forward to seeing more :)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

breezy, neither tile nor granite is resolved. They tore out one bathroom and are not laying any more tiles until we get designs. They are "working" on them. We're also maybe making a switch to a different company to do our granite fabrication but the problem is the transport of the slabs. We are keeping the blue bahia slabs, but they'd have to get to the new fabricator and no one wants to be responsible for the transport because of the high cost of the slabs. We're looking into trying to get someone to insure the move.

blfenton, there are complete pictures of my house here. You can use the links along the side to navigate the rooms.

melaska I am not there to watch the build. I am about 5 1/2 hrs. away. My fiance goes a lot and takes pictures and I visit. Dutch Wood has been putting all cabinets in w/ no input from me and doing a BEAUTIFUL job. I cannot possibly recommend them more highly.

As to the pantry questions:
    There are two doors to the pantry, one from right next to the garage and the other from the kitchen to make it easier to bring groceries directly in. See floor plan here:

The dimensions of the pantry and the details may be better seen on the CAD drawings because it is a bit small to photograph:

Basically, when you open the kitchen door and are looking at the back pantry wall, there's a slanted can rack, then corner shelves, then wine rack, then corner lazy susan, then a little counter area for a toaster oven with shelves hung above and pull out drawers below.Then freezer, then door to the garage. The paneled end by the kitchen door opens into a broom closet. Underneath the corner cabinets it is open to store 12 packs of soda on the floor.

I don't know what the corners are called :)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

So much is happening and looking good! You must be so psyched ;) I can't wait to see its progress...

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

Hmmm. May have to kidnap your cabinet guys. . .

• westtoeast
    12 years ago

Total pantry envy over here!

• lynn85
    12 years ago

Looks beautiful so far, love your pantry so many great storage areas! The colors you are using on the walls are so pretty too! Can't wait to see it all finished, I bet you are so excited!

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Serious pantry crush going on RI. I don't have one :( but I am in love with yours. But I don't think I want a dog shower...How does that work? Curious minds and all.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

CeltinNE, the dog shower doesn't exist any more in the garage. We put a grooming tub in the dog room inside instead!

It is really exciting to see everything and how fast the changes are being made.

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Interesting pantry! I've been cleaning out my 2 pantries and am putting it all back together today. I so wish I had pull-out shelves but it's not worth investing in at this point since one will be totally gone and the other (bigger) space will be completely reconfigured when we reno. I love that your shelves aren't too deep (guess what's causing my frustration, lol) and you have so many options perfectly configured for specific needs. Great job!

Also love those yummy yellow units! Everything is looking wonderful! Best of luck working out your tiling and granite issues!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks flwrs_n_co! Good luck with your pantry clean-out!

• taggie
    12 years ago

Bump ... been a couple of weeks now; any more updates? :-) I am totally loving following your progress and style.

Can you share any detail re. your yellow stained cabs? What is the wood species, is it maple? How did you arrive at that color? Did the cabinet maker try various shades to hit on the one you ended with, or did you give him a sample to match in advance, etc?

Sorry for the multiple questions ... I just admire those yellow cabs so much and am thinking about something similar in our remodel. (We'll be picking our stains in the next two weeks.)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

taggie the yellow stained cabinets are maple. Our cabinet maker tried various shades until we found one we liked. We gave him a tile that had yellow on it that we are using for a tile mural and asked him to try to get close. The biggest problem we had was that a lot of yellows didn't look yellow but instead just looked like that light wood color. So, we kept making it more and more yellow.

I believe that as far as the staining was concerned, he did water-popping (wet the wood, applied the stain, wiped it off). I'm not 100 percent sure exactly what the process entailed but they turned out great.

Here's some more progress pics:
    Still in progress-the cabinets will go all the way up the peak:

• ww340
    12 years ago

I love, love, love your fireplace. So nicely over the top. ;)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks WhiteRiver. I don't know if you've seen it before or not, but I had it carved in marble based on a drawing I made. It came out really well and everyone who comes into the house for any reason always goes and touches it! It is probably my favorite thing in our house, although there's so many favorite things it is hard to say:

• sprtphntc7a
    12 years ago

beagles,
    sorry i had no luck posting pics, i will have to get ds to do it.

i saw in post you are having trouble getting slabs to fabricator. are you still considering IMG??

have you seen anyone's seams yet.???

i hope you get this resolved. i am sure this is eating up your time and patience :(

if i can help in any way, let me know. if you still need a pic, let me know and i will pin him down to do it. i had a major issue to post a pic on craigslist. he did it so fast, i couldnt keep up so i will need him again to help me. i think its something with my software?? not sure.

best of luck!!

by the way, everything looks awesome, soooooooo jealous of that pantry.

don't worry, in the end it will all be worth it :)!!!!!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks sprtphntc. We are going out to IMG on Tuesday. The problem is, they have no seams in their showroom. We NEED to see a seam before we will commit to going with them. If you can get a picture posted that would be really helpful, but don't go to any trouble to do it. You can email me a pic too if that's easier for you.

• dejongdreamhouse
    12 years ago

Beagles, we're getting ready to lay out our pantry. It's 9' x 9'10" and I love your lazy susan corner. Do you know how it was made? Is it the same kind of lazy susan you'd see in a kitchen corner stacked, or is a custom sort of piece? Any details we could pass on to our guy would be very appreciated!

• taggie
    12 years ago

beagles, thank you so much for the detailed description of your stain. I'm going to ask my cabinet maker to try to match a yellow too, but unfortunately it's from our fireplace which he can't take with him like a tile, but hopefully he can do a few different samples to help narrow it down.

I had wondered if it would be easy to get the yellow tone vs. looking like a natural wood tone and it sounds like it wasn't simple. Your description was so helpful -- thank you!! I'm going to show your post to our cabinet maker ... so hopefully he won't stint on the yellow in at least a sample or two.

BTW, your fireplace is to die for! I am in total awe. (and I want to touch it too)

• sprtphntc7a
    12 years ago

beagles,
    i sent you and email, please check, thanks!!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

taggie the yellow wasn't simple and I've heard that staining maple cabinets and not having them look blotchy is difficult. However, we had no problems once we picked a color though, so it definitely can be done!

ICFgreen, it is, I believe, just a regular Lazy Susan except taller. I know it came all in one piece and the shelves slid up and down and were then secured in. If you or your cabinet maker has any specific questions, send them to me and I'll send them to my cabinet maker and I will see if he can get you the answers you need.

Here is a closer picture:

sprtphntc I haven't gotten any emails yet. If you sent it through GW, sometimes it is a little delayed. You sent it to calexis0124 at gmail dot come (with the @ and "." replacing the words?

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

beagles, it's looking amazing. That fireplace is absolutely to die for. I too, wish I could come by and touch it for myself. A true work of art.

• ww340
    12 years ago

beagles - I had not seen that before. It is truly stunning. Like mmmhmmgood, I wish I could touch it myself.

• michelle16
    12 years ago

Beagles, it's all so gorgeous, I can't wait to get out there to dutchwood. Can you tell me what color white you used for the cabinets with the sink?thanks, Michelle

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Beagles: you're a wonder, it's a wonder. Thanks for continuing to let us in vicariously.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

michelle16, we had Dutch Wood color match Benjamin Moore Glacier white for our white cabinets. We thought that one looked best with the marble.

Thanks for all the nice comments :)

• shelayne
    12 years ago

*PANT* *PANT* *PANT*ry.

I. WANT. THAT.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Beagles- Love the fireplace and all that blue! It's beautiful and exactly what you described, many months ago. Just wonderful :)

• dejongdreamhouse
    12 years ago

thank you!!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm