Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeboo_gw

Is there really help available????????

teeboo
10 years ago

Do not understand as first post every day dates back to May, 2013 then goes to October, 2013. How does the person that posted in May remain on the top of the list???? I added my first post on the 14th. Of course, my picture did not go through so I received questions. Then I was able to add pictures one at the time and received a few responses, one of which made me return to store this morning and others wanting to know where water was located, move doors which cannot be done as it is to expensive (need to work around them) and one of merchandise. Emailed each respond er back individually to let them know that all photos would be added and to please help. Spent last night thinking about kitchen layout and went to big box store this morning to do some changing. Added these photos. I am not expecting immediate response but when I go through and read others, they are receiving multiple responses so what do I need to do to get this type of help,. I am frustrated and will be starting this remodel in January. Please help me. Jenn I will add photos to this narrative also. Thanks, Jenn

Comments (9)

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

New potential layout from this morning at big box store.

If this arrangement works????
    1. Would you add 3 drawers to bottom of pantry with pull out shelves behind doors and smaller cabinet at top with or without a door?

2. Would you place open shelf over laundry room door to make pantry connect to kitchen cabinets to the right of the door?

3. If you have the open shelf over the door, would you leave cabinets to left and right of stove with the open top shelf or close them?

4. Where should I put the trash can or compactor?

Thanks for your help.

Jenn

Will add other pictures

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This picture shows the laundry room door (cannot be moved), old heart pine floors which will remain and the window in the kitchen which will be removed so the upper cabinets can balance on each side of the stove. This is important to me. Next picture will show wall between kitchen and living room which will be removed, opening between living room and kitchen that will have an extension wall added so the opening will only be 36" instead of 54".

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last picture will be of outside of cottage. When you look through the front windows or door you are looking at the water. This is what I want to enjoy while in the kitchen as well as my guest. AGain thanks, Jenn

• teeboo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Front of cottage

• localeater
    10 years ago

teeboo, I am sorry you have been disappointed that you are not getting more responses.
    I am linking a post from a few months back that addresses the question "how to get more responses" I hope you will find it helpful.
    Personally, I haven't responded to your posts because I can't follow them. Nothing personal, but they are on the messy and disorganized side for my brain and I am not capable of deciphering them. Sorry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Getting More Responses

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

There is always professional in person assistance available from a local designer. But with all of the potential structural issues that you seem to be dealing with, I'd suggest a local architect.

I can't follow your posts either. There isn't a clear layout of the whole home, or the kitchen, or clear labeling of the adjacent spaces. I know you want to do something with a window, but I'm still unclear as to which window and what it is you are proposing.

If you can put in a simple measured drawing of the whole space, with the cardinal directions, the direction of the view, then you might get better responses. But, looking at the layout you have posted currently, the biggest thing that jumps out at me is that to do what needs to be done to that kitchen to make it work will require moving stuff around. A lot of stuff. And I have no idea if you have the budget for that or not, because I haven't seen any numbers that you've shared.

This post was edited by GreenDesigns on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 17:46

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I'm just going to answer your question about why a post from May is still on the top of the list. That is a "sticky". It says sticky. That means it says at the top and was put their by Gardenweb. Don't bother with it as the links are dead. The same info with functional links are attached. Please read.

Here is a link that might be useful: New to kitchens?

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

Have you read the New to Kitchen Forum, Read Me First thread?

It's very useful for new people who want help with their plans. The ones that get the most, and most useful, help are those with good info to work with and a clear set of questions, not just a "design this for me" approach.

I think you'll also get better help if you post a measured floor plan, rather than elevations or pictures.

Just d/l or get some graph paper, take good measurements of your space, amd transfer them to the graph paper, draw on your proposed layout, take a pic of the drawing and post. Use a good dark pen for the utline on the graph (Fine or X-tra Fine Sharpie is good).

To be honest, when I see a post w/o a measured floor plan if I'm pressed for time I just click away. Elevations (side view drawings that show cab lay out as if you were standing in the room) don't provide enough info to give good advice regarding functional layout and space considerations. At least I don't think so.

I 'll check back to see if you've been able to get a floor plan up. Perhaps I'll be able to make some useful suggestions. Hope so.

BTW, although it's fine to have one pic per reply, you can have more than one if you use a thrid-party picture hosting service like Photobucket (which is free). Then you can copy and insert multiple images in one reply simply by copying the html code of each picture into yur text body.

L.

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

Teeboo
    I get the frustration of the posting pictures and all.
    In answer to a couple of your questions:
    1. I wouldn't care for the shelf above the door to the LR
    2. Because most of your cabinets are in the "L" I would do either glass cabs on top for display all the way around or just solid cabs to the top. I wouldn't have open dust collector shelves.
    As for the island- Have you considered an "L" peninsula with cabs under the window that's on the outside door wall. That would give you more counter space and a dedicated trash/compacter space.
    If the window there is too low for counters-could you "float" a counter in front, and maybe put the bar stools there in front of the window.
    It just doesn't seem like the best use of space with the walkways on each side to the island.
    I have a corner sink and a peninsula in my current kitchen which is about the same size as yours and it makes good sense for my space. Could work for yours.
    I would do drawers for that pantry cab for sure or a drawer cab on bottom with a counter and do your glass display cab as a wall cab above.
    I envy you your water view but everyone sitting at your island wont get to see it ;)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert