Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enright5

OMG! It's officially done!!!! Exceeded my expectations!

enright5
11 years ago

Ok, so the tile guy JUST left and after doing a whirl wind cleaning of the grout crumbs and dust and puling out all my decorations I can officially say my updated kitchen it DONE! I really do love it. Here is a run down...

Cabinets- existing cheap Merrilat builder quality cabs (not solid wood)- painted a creamy white.

I put two wood carvings in the glass doors of the two cabs about the sink to add some texture and element of interest.

Counters and Island- Danby Marble- White Mountain- MUCH more stain resistant that carerra. Ive had it almost 3 months and zero stains! Chipping is another story. I would highly recommend bull nose edges. My ogee edge on the island has not chipped but my perimeter counters with the standard edge have chipped when a ice tea jar fell and hit it:( I also had a few sample tiles propped up against the backsplash while I was deciding on tile and a couple fell and scratched or lightly chipped the counter. This is am bummed about, but much I can do.

Isand- 3 new base cabinets from Home Depot- ordered the Thomisville line in chocolate. My handy man spiffed up the island with some nice thick moldings and trim.

Wall color- Revere Pewter BM

BS- Devonshire 4X12 marble tiles from The Tile Shop

Sink- Kohler apron front sink

Faucet by Jado

Thank you GW's - I could not have pulled this off without you. The advice I received on this site helped me SO much..Thank you!

Comments (46)

• enright5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sink view

• enright5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

island front

• springroz
    11 years ago

Very, very pretty!! I love the backsplash!

Nancy

• enright5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

nook

• enright5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

paint

• enright5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

view from family room

• enright5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lenny

• enright5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The "before"

• blfenton
    11 years ago

WHAT a difference! It looks great. Congratulations on your great choices.

• kamkar2006
    11 years ago

Love your kitchen! Gorgeous!!!! Where are the bar stools from?

• deedles
    11 years ago

Nice job! Beautiful kitchen... you sound so happy!

What did you use for the inserts on the glass doors...?

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

The doors over your sink are really cool. Please post a close up.

• enright5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a close up of the woodcarvings I placed behind the glass in the cab doors above the sink. They were two wood carving panels I bought at Cost Plus World Market a few years ago, they were hanging on my wall. Thought Id try to see if they would fit and they did! I haven't officially mounted them yet but someday I will.

I scored on the bar stools- I found them recently at Marshalls. I had to travel to 3 different Marshalls in my state to get all four! They look very similar to the ones Ballard Designs sells just waaaaay cheaper ($149 each!) I scotch guarded them and I always place a cream colored bath towel over them when my kids eat at the island. I also bought a fifth one recently just incase one gets really damaged- I'll have a back up.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

It looks beautiful! Great job! I like how the range and sink area kind of mimic each other.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

It's wonderful! Such a beautiful kitchen, with so many lovely features, but I can't quit looking at those carved wood panels, above the sink. They're stunning! :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

That turned out great! I especially like the carved doors. They really add a lot.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It looks great. That white really expanded the space. I love your island and bar stools. It looks like the perfect gathering spot.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Fun, fun! I really love the big backsplash tiles, they look great. The breakfast area is so cheerful and bright and your island and CT marble is so pretty.

Actually, I could probably fairly happily live in your before kitchen as well :) Congrats, it looks super.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Looks great!!!

Congrats.

Lenny is so cute too!

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

Congrats enright,it is just beautiful !!
    Glad you are enjoying it and thank you so much for sharing!
    Best !

• ladeeda
    11 years ago

Congrats! Your kitchen looks great...most important, you love it!
    Enjoy it!

• mrspete
    11 years ago

Lovely kitchen. My favorite part is the nook! Looks so cozy, especially with that nice bank of windows behind.

• carybk
    11 years ago

Looks terrific-- especially the wood panels and the backsplash. Congratulations.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Wow--what a great looking kitchen!!! Such a nice, nice job!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

looks beautiful! the carvings in your glass cabs are brilliant!

• smiling
    11 years ago

Just LOVE that backsplash, it looks so perfect in your kitchen! Layout changes are great, too, and the wood carving makes it all uniquely your space. Wonderful job!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Congrats, it is really lovely.

• mazy123
    11 years ago

Wow! This is so pretty. What a transformation. Wonderful kitchen and wonderful Lenny!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

It looks beautiful, it looks so great I love your carved doors. Gorgeous. Your dog Lenny is precious!!! I love his face. I saw his legs in that first picture he was in and thought that's a pretty big dog and would like to see the rest of him and then there was his sweet face : ) Thanks for posting, wishing you much happiness in your new kitchen.

• Sherrie Moore
    11 years ago

Beautiful job!!! Love all the finishes. Ties in beautifully with your family room too! And love those barstools. Are they comfy?

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

I still think your 'before' looks like an 'after', but your new kitchen is way better! The colors are beautiful, and the wood cutouts are unique and very cool. It all comes together for a calm and lovely space!

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Beautiful transformation. It's the same space but not at all the same. Love the wood accent pieces in the cabinet above the sink. Love the sink too and the granite and the backsplash and everything! Your kitchen looks sophisticated and classy. Your dog coordinates so well with your kitchen. There was a past thread about pets matching the kitchen, I think you should revive that thread and add pictures of Lenny and your gorgeous kitchen. Congratulations on your new kitchen

• enright5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol- never even thought of Lenny matching my kitchen! :) Badgergal- you're not from Wi are you?

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Love the transformation. Please do tell about the bar stools!

• chris11895
    11 years ago

Wow - what a great transformation! I remember when you posted those carvings a whie back - they look great!
    I'm so glad you posted a picture of Lenny. When I saw his paws in one I thought, oh my gosh, I need to see this dog!

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Enright, yes I am Wisconsin born and bred. Grew up in Wauwatosa. Went to Marquette and UWM. Worked my whole career for MPS. I now live in Pewaukee. Are you my neighbor?

• berardmr
    11 years ago

I had to do a double-take - what a transformation! And as they say on those singing competitions, you made it your own!

Are those all the original cabinets (with the exception of the island)? AAHHHHmazing!

• enright5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Berardmr- yes, they are the original cheap builder quality cabinets. They had solid wood boxes but vaneer doors. We couldn't afford to replace them so we had them painted.

The bar stools are from 3 different Marshalls thru ought my area- I scored on those! Much cheaper than the ones from Ballard designd. They are Super comfy.

Badgergal- I am born and raised in Wi too- we live in Madison:)

• starpooh
    11 years ago

It's amazing how you've transformed your kitchen using the existing cabinets and footprint. Great job!

May I please add your kitchen to the Finished Kitchens Blog? Please send me an email so I can send the FKB Checklist to you.
    Thanks!

• Zippity-do-dah
    11 years ago

Wow - new kitchen looks mahvelous! But gee, your "before" kitchen was lovely as well. The transformation is such a complete change in looks. Dog is perfect accessory. My roots are in Sturgeon Bay .... Wisconsin is a super state to grow up in.

• Linda
    11 years ago

Wow! I see what you mean with "exceeds expectations"! Beautiful! Enjoy!

• ellabee_2016
    11 years ago

Pretty and fresh, yet still looking like a kitchen where cooking is done! Nice job.

I'm having trouble locating the cooktop in the 'before' picture. Was it a glasstop in the island?

And what's in the center of the island base, between the banks of drawers?

• ladeeda
    11 years ago

It turned out great! Love the woodcarving. Enjoy!

• enright5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ellabee- The cooktop used to be on the black granite island. It was ceramic and had a big chip in it- it was probably the reason for the whole kitchen "update" You know how one thing leads to another!? We started out planning to replace the cooktop, then I decided boy, wouldn't it be nice to finally have gas, then I thought hmm- maybe we could do a free standing range gas? And so it goes...

We previously had two stacked wall ovens opposite the sink wall. I became fond of having two ovens so I decided to put a wall oven in our island and I love it! That is what you see between the two bank of drawers in the center of the new island.

Thanks for all the nice comments:)

• enright5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

correction! the paint color is BM bennington gray- sorry!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Great job on your remodel. I am very impressed that you kept those icky Merillat cabinets and made them look like new cabinets! (I just got rid of ours - but plan to try to gel paint our cabs in our bathroom.
    Love the carved wood, backsplash and puppy! I think the colors are perfect match for your dog :-)
    Great job!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!