Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcorn

Reveal! Two Tone White and Walnut Kitchen

kcorn
9 years ago

This project has been an incredibly long journey and we are thrilled that it is complete! We love the new space and want to thank everyone on this forum for the amazing support and knowledge that was offered throughout our remodel. There are so many things we would have never thought about without the generosity of this forum. Thank you!!!

The finished product! Photo is from our cabinet maker that he posted on his Houzz page. You can see more photos through the link below.

Transitional Spaces by Clarkston Kitchen & Bath Designers BR Wood Design

Here's a view looking from the dining room through the kitchen to the family room.

Transitional Spaces by Clarkston Kitchen & Bath Designers BR Wood Design

Here is the before of our original 1980's kitchen. This is the same view as the first picture, looking from the family room into the kitchen with the dining room in the distance.

We chose to open the wall between the formal dining room and the kitchen. In this design, we eliminated the eat in kitchen space in favor of a bar / entertaining peninsula that also ties into the family room. We now have a usable dining space for every day and formal occasions coupled with two different peninsula seating areas for casual meals, homework, etc.

I will post more details soon of all our finishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchen photos

Comments (33)

• crl_
    9 years ago

That's beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

spartans - I love it! It turned out so nice. The walnut is so pretty - such character in that grain and the white up top really keeps things from being heavy. Of course I love the herringbone as well. :D It's awesome! Enjoy.

• caseykees
    9 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen!

• my_four_sons
    9 years ago

Love the walnut, that's on my plan, too. Just gorgeous!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

It's really pretty! I think it looks great with the fireplace and beams in the family room. Well done!

• Lisa
    9 years ago

Oh wowza! So many things to mention...love the herringbone backsplash and the walnut is one of the most beautiful that I've seen. My favorite part of your kitchen though is the beverage/bar area with the separate sink, beverage fridge, and glass cabinets! Soooo beautiful! Oh...the windows are pretty great and the family room looks nice too:)

• romy718
    9 years ago

Gorgeous walnut & I love it combined with white uppers. Great view from the kitchen all around - your lovely dining room & cozy family room. Love the wine frig.
    Fabulous kitchen! Congrats!

• kcorn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your positive feedback! We love the layout, storage and overall look. We have entertained multiple times since it was finished and the flow between the rooms on the first floor, including the outdoor space on the deck, is a massive improvement over the old space.

Here are some of the details:

Cabinets - Custom / Local - Uppers are maple with BM White Dove, Lowers are natural walnut with a natural finish

Counters - Polished Steel Gray Granite

Appliances - GE Profile Double Oven range (30"), KitchenAid Counterdepth Fridge (36"), 36" Best range hood, KitchenAid paneled dishwasher, Uline 24" wine cooler, microwave is a Panasonic counter model

Lighting - Recessed lighting - 6" cans in main kitchen, (2) 4" cans over each peninsula area and sink, WAC LED Undercabinet @ 3000k (not too white or yellow - just right!)

Backsplash - Honed Bianco Carrara Marble, herringbone pattern (1x3 size) (source: BuilderDepot.com - awesome customer service!)

Hardware - Top Knobs Nouveau III, Brushed Satin Nickel (M1170, M1173)

Sinks - main sink - Kraus 32" single bowl stainless; prep/bar sink - Elkay Hammered Mirror 16.5" sink (mystic collection)

Faucets - main sink - Grohe LadyLux3 cafe touch; prep/bar sink - Grohe LadyLux3 Pro Prep faucet (both pull down/spray option, both polished chrome)

Flooring - Red Oak (newly installed to match rest of 1st floor)

Disposals - Insinkerator Evolution Excel 1.0 hp (Amazon deal day - found through this forum!)

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

How lovely!

I love how the eye just moves across details without something slapping you in the face. Very serene.
    The grain on that walnut is, what? To die for? Yup.

Great job!

• LeeMiller
    9 years ago

Such a beautiful mix of the dark wood and light cabinets with the dark countertop! Do you have any more close-ups? I'd love to see more.

We are actually planning to also open the wall between the existing kitchen and dining room - I think what you did looks great!

• deedles
    9 years ago

Wow, what beautiful walnut cabs for starters. Really beautiful kitchen! Love the backsplash tile.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Beautiful walnut cabinets. Congratulations!

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Beautiful transformation! I love the contrast of the White Doe and walnut cabinets. Congratulations!

• smalloldhouse
    9 years ago

Wow, this is just amazing. During my seemingly endless planning phase I went through a long period of pining for walnut cabinets with a dark granite counter. I wasn't sure it would work in my very small galley kitchen. The materials look stunning in your space and frame the view to the fireplace perfectly. I really like your dual peninsulas too.

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

WOW!!! Those walnut cabinets are gorgeous!!!

• crcollins1_gw
    9 years ago

I agree, those cabinets are soooo pretty. And I love that you did the cabinets by the refrigerator off to one side. Great layout for entertaining.

• Jeannine Fay
    9 years ago

great job. So cool and classically modern.

• annettacm
    9 years ago

I love two tone. I almost did that with mine, but I couldn't convince my husband. It's a beautiful look. GREAT kitchen with wonderful nuances. I love it!!

• amykath
    9 years ago

WOW! I love it! You must be ecstatic!

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

great transformation!

• taggie
    9 years ago

Absolutely, jaw-droppingly gorgeous!! Love the walnut with the white, and your choice of countertops. Beautiful. Congratulations!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Spartans99 - I am swooning over your walnut cabinetry and love what you've done! More pictures, please :)

• maxmillion_gw
    9 years ago

The walnut is beautiful! And the use of two tone is really well done.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Love this combo. Gorgeous! Great job.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Love the walnut! Nice, nice kitchen!

• agk2003
    9 years ago

you did a beautiful job! what color are the white cabinets?

• gabytx12
    9 years ago

Love this!! I am also doing a 2 tone kitchen, same kind of color scheme. Love your flooring, I know it is red oak, but who makes it? Is it hardwood? Beautiful!

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! I really love the walnut cabinets. And the way the fridge is enclosed by cabinetry is just masterful.

Could you share any pictures of how the transition works between kitchen and family room? From the before picture it looks like there are some steps down. I have a similar situation and I'm wondering how to address it.

• kcorn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all again for the wonderful feedback! Here are some answers to the questions:

@AGK2003 - the white cabinets are BM White Dove

@gabytx12 - I am not sure who makes the floor, it was unfinished red oak flooring and then we had it sanded and refinished along with the entire first floor to be the same color - which is a Nutmeg stain color.

@pricklypearcactus - Here is one picture I took quickly with my iPhone today of the transition from kitchen to family room. I am sorry for the lighting and mess, but yes, we do have a step down between the rooms and this was a huge issue to overcome but we love how this bar area ties the spaces together. There was a lot of thought and debate that went into dealing with the cabinetry sizes/layout for both uppers and lowers, how much overhang, etc. Luckily we had an amazing cabinet maker that helped us work it out! FWIW I originally wanted the bar cabinets to the edge of the kitchen floor for the transition into the family room; but now that small area of flooring has been great as an extra place to put your feet. We also have the back side of the cabinets paneled with one cabinet opening into the family room. So we tried to make it as pleasing as possible visually and functional as well!

I will try to get some additional up close / detailed pictures together to post soon.

• Catharine442
    9 years ago

those two tones are nice. I like how the white cabinets make the space look more roomy.

• redjmartin
    9 years ago

spartans99,

Your kitchen is gorgeous! Everything just ties together perfectly. It's always a long process but worth it in the end. I'm glad you were happy with the cabinetmaker - you may remember that we used the same person and I provided a reference for him.

Ed

• kcorn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ed! Yes, I do remember your kitchen was gorgeous as well and thank you again for the reference. We were very happy and have already referred him to multiple jobs! Hiring him was one of the best decisions we made through the entire project.

• mobuddy89
    8 years ago

Spartans99, I am in Michigan too (Troy) and would like to contact you if possible. I would love to get your recommendations on a few things. How do you still like the cabinets? Would you still recommend the shop? I really wish Houzz had a PM feature for non-pros!

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors