Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Styling the Kitchen, Part II

beekeeperswife
11 years ago

Well, Part II to you, but more like part 50 to me!

Ok. You have to use your imagination on the flowers and the veggies are still tied with tie wraps.

I've elimanated any colored pot from the stove. My blue Le Crueset was not that big and I felt it was lost. So, I've just put 2 stainless pots on there.

The tureen is gone, although I did try it without the lid, but I"m sure you guys still say ditch it, which is fine. I have it sitting on the kitchen table for now. ON the table is also a white vase that I think maybe the white hydrangeas will go into. They might also go in my big clear vase or even my silver champagne bucket. Not sure, but will decide tomorrow. It does look very bare, but the flowers will help. Perhaps I could put some glasses on the table along with the pitcher of water with lemons. Maybe?

I do have a gorgeous cocounut cake that I will put on a cake plate and a bunch of the chocolate dipped macaroons. I could put those on the counter where the plates are, if you think I should move the plates and glasses to the table.

the bread is all wrapped but will look a bit nicer without all the plastic wrap you see. Maybe will even put one on the cutting board in front of it, unless that would make it too busy.

The bar area is now just that, a bar area. I figure for a dinner party, that is how we would do it. In the glass bowl will be white roses.

And I'm using the gray napkins with wine glasses that have black and silver bands on them. Do you notice I only put one napkin in the ring (a bee ring ;-) btw) so it looks like I was in the process of doing that. Does that look ok? Or should I do all of them, or none of them?

I ditched the hat on the bench, but left the purse and the gloves. They could end up on the stool at the island. Might look nicer there.

The herbs in the pots are a bit frazzled looking. They will be spiffed up and neat for tomorrow.

Here are the...

Comments (67)

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Shots 6, 7, 11 -- work. Close-ups look terrific. Other shots ... Too much going on. Leave the kitchen to be the star. A dozen baguettes in a basket. Huge arrangement of hydrangeas. Kill the other props. Love the b'fast table area but keep it simple (flowers and nothing else). You've got the stage girl, work it! Best of luck, oldbat2be.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Bee-follow up. What I find exceptional about your kitchen is the grey coloring which I think is getting lost in these shots. I went back to your first 'my super white is in' shots and just smiled again. It's a terrific backdrop but I'm worried about it being upstaged. Great fun to be involved at the start, know we'll all learn a lot from the final shots.

• sixtyohno
    11 years ago

I agree that each arrangement is lovely in it's self but it is time to edit. It detracts from the beauty of the kitchen. I would also take away the herbs and the cookbook.
    I think the pocketbook and gloves are too contrived and left over from the yellow theme. The kitchen looks like you are preparing for a soup, salad, lovely bread, wine Sunday lunch, for good friends in the breakfast room, so why not set the table for it, casual dishes glasses etc and make up a narrative that ties it all together. I'm sure it will all come out lovely.

• starinasgarden
    11 years ago

First, BKW, you have such a beatiful kitchen, and home. Wondeful setting for a photo session.
    The props are all lovely, but I think just too many. My eye 'bounces' around too much trying to decide what to focus on, and that detracts from the beauty of the room itself.
    i.e. On the island, I suggets removing everything other than the arrangement of veggies, cuttingboard and knife.
    The bar setups, too many small things crowded too closely together. Just the cutting board with a lemon and knife, the tray with the gin and vodka bottles on it, and two martini glasses with the shaker off to the side.
    Less 'arrangements', containing fewer objects.

As always, this is just my opinion ;-)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, a little editing. .....

The white berries have been removed. I didn't do much else with the island. I'll fine tune it in the am.

Here's the bar. I turned it on an angle. Like it or Not?

Also, swapped the lemons for limes, but added a pitcher of OJ for color. Plus, that would be a mixer for a bar setup. Thoughts?

Or if you prefer to keep lemons, would this container be better?

Here's the table without the tureen and with the dishes,etc. Please, the flowers are just sitting in water trying to open. I'll arrange them in the white container on the table (or another one). I hate moving that tray out of the kitchen, but it might be best.

Use your imaginations, the cake will be on the silver cake stand, and the macaroons will be pyramid stacked on the small pedestal. Maybe some dessert plates & forks stacked near these?

Moved the cookbooks to the other side, Closed the one. Put the herbs on the left side but eliminated one. And I moved the stock pot forward, and turned the handle on the saute pan so it wasn't sideways--it's more kid-friendly this way....lol.

(pre pot moving)
    left side

right side

This is the wall to the left of the oven

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

I love the cake!! I was thinking of a tray of pastries and a nice big pot of coffee - my idea of winter hunkering...

But aside from what I want in a winter kitchen scene, just love watching what you are doing and the creative artists among us at work.

• peonybush
    11 years ago

You're getting there Bee..
    It's still a little busy for me. There's a lot to take in. The kitchen is so beautiful--let us see those counters.
    For me...no runner on the table and only forks on top of the napkins.
    Only the veggies on the board..no bowl of veggies. And maybe scootch it closer to the sink. I would eliminate the blue bottle and glass.
    By the bar, only the tray as is and the lime on the cutting board. No juice and bowl of limes.
    Not so sure about the bread bowl either...
    Good grief I sound picky...this comes from the person who can hardly stand to have a coffee maker and fruit bowl on the counters.
    BTW--that cake looks yummy and the stand is beautiful.
    Hope the photo shoot is fun tomorrow. Can't wait to hear.

• deedles
    11 years ago

It's TOMORROW? Good luck and have fun!

Like the limes, btw..

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will agree that my personal taste is naked counters. But apparently naked counters are boring.

I will edit the veggies on the island. Perhaps instead of the blue bottle and glass as a beverage for the cook, she'll have a glass of wine while slicing and dicing.

You never know, I wonder if the photographer will want that bread boat on the table....I mean it is sort of funny that nobody has mentioned I have about 8 loaves of different bread for 4 diners...lol. I don't have a big wooden bowl to put the bread in, but I could do another large wooden cutting board and stack some loaves on it.

If I take the runner off the table, won't it look too dark? Hmmm, maybe not. It would look less busy. But on the other hand we have some saying it is too bare...

I better go to bed. I need to get up in the am and start again, hopefully lots more ideas will pour in while I'm sleeping, oh I mean listening to Mr Bee snore....

Thanks!

Bee

• nini804
    11 years ago

Can't wait to see how it turns out!! please post! :)

• Delilah66
    11 years ago

Vodka martini and gin and tonic -- twists of lemon and lime?

• springroz
    11 years ago

Take away the knives and spoons.

Nancy

• allison0704
    11 years ago

I like the first bar scene better, but without the vase of lemons. Not opposed to them going in a bowl. I would cut the lemon on the wooden tray for the shoot.

Don't care of the clear glass pitcher of orange juice, as it looks like a vase of some sort at first glance.

The vase of sticks/pussywillow? on the island fights the chandelier. Although it looks good in shot without the chandelier.

Don't mind the large pot on stove, but dislike the pan. Handle is visually disturbing.

Pepper tray is good.

There is too much stuff on the DR table, second time around. The first picture is better, but I would remove everything but a container of hydrangeas - more low and wide, than tall and stemmed. No runner. Less is more sometimes.

The cookbook on stand is so cliche.

The bread looks better by the oven, imo, but seems like a LOT of bread! Are you going to have a partial loaf or piece on cutting board, maybe with a small container of whipped butter?

I liked the herbs in the pots but would form a triangle (two large in back, small in front) and angle from the corner. It softens all the hard tile, wood cabinets and counter. The cookbooks don't do anything for me, especially angled - very harsh/hard.

The cake is very pretty, but there seems to be a lot of stemmed items.

Is this the tile company or cabinetmaker photographer taking pictures, as magazines usually send a professional to style. Close-ups are easier to style, as less of the room is seen. It's the larger pictures that are harder for most since rooms look different in person than in print/photographs.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

Removing the chrome yellow is a vast improvement.

Do you have any 'fire element' (a Feng Shui thing) colors with which to accent? Anything from pink to red to orange? Small unobtrusive blips, here and there, might be nice.

BTW, I like the dining room. Now that the hat and satchen handbag are muted, I "saw" your windows, table, and chairs. Lovely!

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Good Luck today Bee, everything is magnificent! Congratulations on how beautifully your backsplash compliments your gorgeous stone. You've got all the elements to show off your lovely kitchen. Relax and ENJOY!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

his eta is 5 mins. This is what he is getting:

gotta go!

• starinasgarden
    11 years ago

Lovely, Bee, well done editing! Best luck to you :-)

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Great Job! (I loved the lemons : )

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Mmmmm cake and champagne; count me in! Love the dining room now with the flowers. Good luck with your shoot. Look forward to hearing what they went with.

• cardamon
    11 years ago

It looks very nice now. I read your post yesterday and saw the pictures and read some of the replies. I could almost feel you being frazzled by trying to get ready and have it look picture perfect. It looks so much more put together in a beautiful, less is more, serene way. Hoping it goes well for you. You worked so hard and it looks great. I really do believe less is more and someone else said have fewer things and make them larger scaled and that worked for you. Good job done!

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

Looks beautiful and will be a great shoot! Wonderful job editing! Drink that champagne when it's all over!

• nini804
    11 years ago

Perfect, and those hydrangeas are DIVINE!

• likewhatyoudo
    11 years ago

awesome job! Can't wait to see the professional shots!

• peonybush
    11 years ago

Lovely..nice job!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I knew you would pull it together!!!
    Your kitchen will always be one of my favorites. I love how you arranged everything and willing to modify based on feedback.
    So much fun!

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

It ended up lookimg gorgeous - well done!!!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

awesome!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

*sigh*

It's Over!

That's 4 hours of fun all done!

Ok, he loved OUR styling. L-O-V-E-D

He used to be the editor of the magazine before he left 2 months ago to do professional photography full time. He asked if I would be interested to have the entire house featured in an issue next September. He took lots of photos of other rooms. That might be fabulous motivation around here to get busy!! Or busier!

The first thing he saw when he walked in was the light hitting the breakfast room. He was floored. The sun had just come out and it was coming in through the sliders to the left of the table. He took about a million photos of that area. He said he was going to push for a cover. What? A cover? of the breakfast room? Man, that turned out better than we thought.

Finally got to the kitchen. Moved a few things, he wanted the cutting board to be closer to the end of the island (near the stools) And we put the colander behind the sink. We also switched the Kohler walnut cutting board for the one I had there because it looked so much better.

He took a lot of closeups of all the vignettes. I cannot wait to see the pictures!

Oh, and he also said he does have some photo shoots that would be great to have a stylist help him with! OMG. This could be fun. He said he will push to make sure I get credit in the magazine as the stylist. Of course I share that with all of you! You really helped me so much. I think once I got the yellow out of my mind and made the kitchen "mine", it worked.

Alright, I need to go take off my boots. I wanted to look taller. I don't know why. My feet really don't remember how to wear heels for long periods of time. And I need to figure out what to make with all those vegetables for dinner.

Thanks Again. You all are the best.

Bee

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Perfect. Way better than your first shot. Lets the beauty of your kitchen shine through everything. Before, the clutter took over and now the kitchen is what you see.

• Delilah66
    11 years ago

So your poor feet joined your poor fingers? All in the name of TKO...very well done! Share the mag when it comes out, pretty please?

• smiling
    11 years ago

Your pared down look is so elegant! How could he not be floored with that exquisite space, and your beautiful styling. Perhaps today will be the start of a new career for you! Who knows? Dutchwood will be thrilled, too.

• ladeeda
    11 years ago

Awesome! Sounds like it was a lovely morning all the way around. Anxious to see the article. How exciting, a possible new career to boot!

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

You did good, Bee! Everything looks really great and I know you must be pleased. The 'new' colors look so much better and calmer. So do the pared-down vignettes. I can see why he loved your breakfast room, as it looks very good with the hydrangeas and set as if a meal is about to appear.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Congrats. Sounds like fun AND maybe a new career for you!
    Can you please share what magazine it will be featured in? And how did they find out about your kitchen?
    Thanks.

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Bee
    Just read this post. What a fun, fun process. The pictures of your spaces are YUMMY!
    Where did you find that bread bowl? LOVE IT
    Yes what magazine? How did they find you?

• athomeinvagw
    11 years ago

Very nicely done, I hope that the magazine has an online version that you can link us to once it is out!

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

This final set of pics is TDF gorgeous! I love the splash of warm color from the veggies. Elegant and beautiful.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Congrats - Take off those boots, sit down with a nice glass of vino!
    A job well done!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE the final presentation! Just the right amount of "stuff." Can't wait to see the pro pics.

I agree, enjoy a glass of wine tonight and maybe have a nice soak in your beautiful tub.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Or even a vodka and tonic with lime? It looked great! Thanks for letting us have fun along with you!

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Congratulations Bee! We live through your photos.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

It really did come together nicely. I'm not surprised he was pleased. Let us know if this turns into a gig! What fun!

• Linda
    11 years ago

Absolute perfection!!!! Your kitchen is amazing, and how wonderful now that everyone will be able to see how special it is! Love how the backsplash turned out, and am so impressed that YOU did it yourselves!!! Wow! Forget about making the veggies -- open the champagne! Well done.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Oh darn, I missed this whole post. Congratulations on the photo shoot going so well. Everything looks AMAZING. You have such a good eye for this sort of thing and you should be doing it full time. Can not wait to see the final pictures. Wasn't it nice for mother nature to show up for the photo shoot? The trees are gorgeous! Well done indeed!!!

• anrol
    11 years ago

I have been ill and following your posts about your kitchen. Beautiful!
    I hope you do get a new career from this session! Good luck Bee! It would be right up your alley.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ppbenn--that bread bowl is from Home Goods. It's going back on Saturday. Turns out I'm not the only one who "borrows" from Home Goods for photo shoots according to the photographer.

I had to give the writer the resource list for the stuff in the kitchen by today. I finally managed to buy a domain name for my little imaginary design consultation/stylist business. I was given a lot of tips from beagles. Of course since it was going into print I wanted it to be just a simple (myname dot com) for now. I believe I can do the technical address that beagles suggested which involved the keywords in the address and then link the two together. The writer said she would include it in the article. Cross all those GW fingers.

The magazine is regional (about 5 or 6 counties) in Central PA get the magazine. The magazine is called Susquehana Style.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is where I was supposed to put that other post...ugh

I spelled Susquehanna Style wrong above. And hit submit as I saw it.

Here's a link to their online site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Susquehanna style

• petra66_gw
    11 years ago

Good to hear it all turned out so well! As for the veg? Minestrone ;-)

"There is no set recipe for minestrone, since it is usually made out of whatever vegetables are in season." (source: Wikipedia)

Here is a link that might be useful: Minestrone 'The Big Soup'

• marthavila
    11 years ago

Like everyone has said: ya done great,kiddo! :-) The final set looks utterly fantastic. Congrats!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

wonderful! i'm sure you are very relieved it is over and done. for now.

"I need to go take off my boots. -
    My feet really don't remember how to wear heels for long periods of time."

yikes, mine don't either. sometimes my eyeballs want me to, my memory also. Then the part of my brain that remembers the pain takes over and there is NO WAY! Birks are my life now.