Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgopp

Has 'Firsthousemp' posted a final thread?

jgopp
9 years ago

Just wondering. I was really looking forward to seeing it all done.

Comments (21)

• Gigi_4321
    9 years ago

Me too!

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Me three! I was just wondering about Firsthouse's kitchen a few weeks ago. How about Dutty w/ her IKEA hack kitchen? I was really looking forward to seeing the results of both of these beautiful kitchens.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

repeat

This post was edited by bicyclegirl on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 23:35

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Oh my Oh my - my heart actually skipped a beat when I saw your eating area. Those windows or are those sliding rail doors (?) and the chairs and the light fixture and the high ceiling and windows with the beam - oh my.

Can't wait for the final reveal.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Thank you for a sneak peek! That is a heck of a nice view from your breakfast room. And what a cool hidden pantry! Great idea. I'm sorry to hear about your floors. What a heartbreak! And the cracked concrete buffet. I'm finding the saying "it's always something" goes well w/ any reno or build! Once everything is thru, you can enjoy this beautiful home! Thanks again & I look forward to seeing it all complete.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Pantry? That looks like a keeping room. The black windows & light fixtures look fabulous in your Breakfast ?Nook.
    Thanks for the peak.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

So far I love what I have seen with the sneak peak and I can't wait to see the final reveal!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

How on earth can you bear to close the door to the pantry? Gorgeous view! It is a treat to see these pictures, I've been watching for them as well.

jgopp-how goes? Nice to see your name pop up. Hope your repairs went well. Are you working (she asks hopefully) on your next project?!

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I am so looking forward to your reveal! I adore your pantry and have been wondering how it was all going for you.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

" but the concrete buffet on the right is cracked so will need to be replaced"

Driveway or countertop, it's the nature of the beast.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Wow. Can't wait to see the entire reveal. In the meanwhile, can you please share the name of those gorgeous pendants over the Breakfast Nook

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update firsthouse_mp, sorry to hear about the floors.

Oldbat: I'm functionally finished, just need to get up there and take some pictures.

• Lisa
    9 years ago

Stop it right now! That is one of the best ideas I've seen on this forum....the hidden pantry. And it looks to be quite some pantry! I absolutely adore your black windows. Can't wait to see the final reveal.

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

I am really soul-searching on how much done=finished ? I think you can spend a year trying to really "finish" your kitchen, perfect every detail and still not think you are done enough to post your finished kitchen.

I am contemplating the phrase "done is better than perfect" and thinking I may just reveal this weekend when I have a chance. I am thinking I may be psychotic to imagine that I will ever get to "perfect". The goal of perfection may be the greatest hardship we have ever put on ourselves in this generation.......

Completely esoteric and in my head this week with a number of incidents that leave me feeling that we are reaching too high, expecting too much of ourselves/kids, and working toward unattainable goals. And it's now oozing into things like "how perfect is my kitchen". ....

I may call "uncle" and post my reveal after I actually take pics on Sunday.

In the meantime, Mrs_Nye, the breakfast nook lights are Armand by Arteriors. They are sold singularly but I felt that I needed three of them to balance the room, so I bought three and hung them at different heights to give it some interest. Gigi loved the "Chainmail" light in my master by Arteriors. I really like so many of their lighting fixtures:

• Jeannine Fay
    9 years ago

My own opinion on the "when is done, done?" question is that some people are never really done. They are always tweaking and thinking and planning for the next thing. Others finish the work, hang a picture or two and never look back. You may be of the former variety. Once you have you lights up, walls painted, backsplash in and maybe one or two finishing touches like a picture hung I think you can call it "done" by Gardenweb standards.

My house has been invaded by workers since May so I totally identify with your desire to have your space to yourself again. I have to keep reminding myself that I asked them to be there :) My fear is that I'll be so eager to see the end of them that I will let some things go that really need to be fixed.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Wow! I can't wait to see the whole thing! I'm as envious of the view outside your windows as I am of the rest of the house!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Firsthouse_mp said : I am really soul-searching on how much done=finished ?( snip) I am contemplating the phrase "done is better than perfect" and thinking I may just reveal this weekend when I have a chance. I am thinking I may be psychotic to imagine that I will ever get to "perfect". The goal of perfection may be the greatest hardship we have ever put on ourselves in this generation

Completely esoteric and in my head this week with a number of incidents that leave me feeling that we are reaching too high, expecting too much of ourselves/kids, and working toward unattainable goals. And it's now oozing into things like "how perfect is my kitchen"

You have reached right into the heart of a thought process that means a LOT to me. One of the most valuable things I have learned, and I assure you, I have to relearn it over and over! As much as I love my GW Kitchens, taking a sabbatical really helped me bring things back into perspective for me.

Your kitchen looks amazing, of course, and I am excited for the reveal!

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

The "done vs. Perfect" question is an interesting one and one I ask when interviewing job candidates. People who answer "perfect" without hesitation are often, I've found, crippled by their quest for perfection and often never finish a project. In terms of our houses, is it even possible to be done? Our homes evolve as months and seasons and years pass. At some point 'remodel' or 'build' or 'decorate' has to evolve into 'living.'

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I thought my house was "done" and "perfect" 4 years ago when we gutted it down to studs and plywood and rebuilt it. We did all the re-decorating with an interior decorator, bought some new furniture,...blah, blah, blah... you know the drill.

UNTIL - yesterday when, on the Design Forum, I saw what someone did above their big-screen TV that sits on a low table which is the same set-up that we have. Then, it was, oh, maybe I'm not done because it isn't perfect. But, as I'm typing this what I realize is that perhaps I can't get to perfect but just to "better" than it is now.

• caseykees
    9 years ago

I am one who tries for perfection, has neither the ability nor the monetary means, and things never get finished because I get frustrated. I'm trying to let that go. I am painting new cabinet doors, and they are not as nice as I would like them, but I am trying to convince myself that sanding them for the 4th time is a bad idea, and that I should take pride in the fact that I painted them myself, even if there are stipple marks. LOL

I can't wait to see your kitchen!!