Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drawers - dovetail or "dadoed"?

Posted by seosmp (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 17:04

Hi,

Does everyone pretty much get dovetail joints for their cabinet drawer boxes?

I have heard some information that "dadoed" vinyl plywood box might be as good or better than dovetail drawers.

Any input to help me decide which to go with?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drawers - dovetail or "dadoed"?

They are lying.

Dovetails were invented by the Ancient Egyptians, the Pyramids are still here.

o

Given a choice, choose dovetails. Dadoes do work fine, but dovetails are better, presuming good fabrication.

o

While dovetails certainly are a stronger joint, they're overkill in regular drawers. I might see a point for very large drawers with heavy loads, like pot drawers. But otherwise if dadoes are significantly cheaper that's what I'd go with.

Dovetails are very pretty though. If you're the type to admire joinery whenever you open a drawer (I certainly am) then that's another benefit.

I have no idea what vinyl plywood is. I'd be a little more concerned about that than dadoes vs dovetails.

o

Yes dovetails are overkill. No dadoes in plywood are not as good and definitely not better.
Doweled or biscuit joints in solid wood can be as good, maybe a drawer box jpint (but Inever liked that)
Dovetails main advantage was when drawer bottoms were solid wood, which would eventually split. The mechanical advantage of the dovetail allowed the use of reversible glues like hide and fish glue. They didn't have aliphatic resin. Witht he advent of plywood bottoms and modern adhesives the mechanical advantage is not really needed.
Still with current tooling it may just be the easiest way to make adrawer box, especially with thicker material.
Nice delicate boxes, or those made from. Ply are better done with finger joints.

o

Whenever I tug out some of my retro bathroom drawers with wooden slides, I think that dovetails are overkill when you have good hardware. With good modern drawer slides I think any type of joint would be okay.

Dovetails do DO, however, tend to not be found in lower quality (American) cabinets. So, in other words, if you're looking at a cabinet line that doesn't do dovetails, it's probably a cheapie. (European style cabinets are a different ball of wax.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here