Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
secondhalf_gw

Soapstone in....in love

secondhalf
11 years ago

hi everyone. The soapstone went in this week. It is beautiful. Our Reno project is weeks from done and we are still living in one room, but it has been worth it. Every time I find an excuse to go in my kitchen, I get a ridiculous grin. Thanks for letting me share. The marble is under the blanket in the whole kitchen pic, but the island isn't ready for its debut. I love the marble too!

Comments (30)

• laurajane02
    11 years ago

Lovely!

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Well hello gorgeous! Look forward to the finished project.

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Stunning! What kind of soapstone is it? Are you going to live in the oiled or unoiled camp?

• starinasgarden
    11 years ago

Your soapstone is beautiful, and so are your cabinets. I'm looking forward to your reveal!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

That veining is divine! Very lovely.

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

That is some stunning stone !! and your kitchen is going to do it justice. c

• sis2two
    11 years ago

It looks so good! Love your cabinets too.

• secondhalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone- you guys always double the pleasure because you "get" that even though I'm now TKO, I'm still sane....

Dusty- our fabricator sells it as "classic soapstone"-- it's not as hard as those PAs that can't be found anymore, but it's the kind this fabricator says reads most black and is hard for a soapstone. And I am going to live in the oiled camp, partly because I love rubbing it....but I was actually surprised that as I watched the oil from the initial installation fade a bit, I was loving every stage of that as well.
    Hope you're enjoying your kitchen. I was so jealous when you started after I did and then finished in about the blink of an eye. And, it is beautiful.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Gorgeous stone! I totally understand the big grin, I do that when I go in the bathroom we just remodeled. Enjoy!

• deedles
    11 years ago

Love the close-ups with your shiny white sink! It's very beautiful...

Fun to see it all come together, isn't it?

• rhome410
    11 years ago

WONDERFUL!!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Pretty!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Love it!

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Thanks, secondhalf, we're loving the new digs :-) Looks like you are already in love, and for good reason - gorgeous stone! I was a constant oiler, but haven't now for a few weeks and I'm loving the unoiled. Can't decide which way to go! Are you doing a backsplash? If so, which direction? This is the fun part!

• Rainwood
    11 years ago

Beautiful soapstone. I love the veining.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

I can see why you are so happy --
    your soapstone is gorgeous and your kitchen is looking lovely.
    I love your sink/soapstone combo.
    Can't wait for the full reveal!

• peridot44
    11 years ago

secondhalf - that is EXACTLY the soapstone I'm looking for. What part of the country are you in? If you're in Maryland (or nearby) I'd love to know who your source and fabricator are.

THANKS.

• chiefy
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!
    I'd love to hear the details on your source/fabricator as well. Just let us know where you're located ;)

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Me too! Me too! I need details.
    You've gone and done my kitchen! Creamy cabs, soapstone. Dark island with marble. Only mine still has the electrician in it ;)
    Just really pretty...

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

That is beautiful soapstone! It looks great in your kitchen too. I can just feel your smile in your post.

• bcafe
    11 years ago

My ss is being cut today! I just love the look.

• nanjeanne
    11 years ago

Just beautiful and I certainly understand the continuous grin. I still feel that way when I'm in my kitchen even after more than 4 months! And I definitely understand the need to touch it. When ours was first in - I kept laying my head on it. I would have slept on it if I could have!

• secondhalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dusty- re the backsplash, I am waiting until my range hood and stove go in so I can see how that changes the feel. I was going for a period type look but my Kobe chimney hood and stove might give the kitchen a somewhat different vibe. So far, I've been able to let the decisions layer on each other and have things sit in the back of my head until they feel right. I love the somewhat maligned subway tile because it gives me a comforting feeling to look at. We are thinking of the Heath field tiles in 3x6 because they have depth and because they are made in the San Francisco area where my husband and I met. What are you thinking of for backsplash? I know I am sticking with cream for whatever I do, as I love how a neutral backdrop allows the special things you put in a kitchen to stand out. I love all the pops of color in Bee's staging for her photoshoot and how versatile her grays and whites allow her to be.

Peridot44, Ppbenn and chiefy76- our fabricator is Quality Tile in Rhode Island. I don't think that helps either one of you. I had asked them months ago if it was called anything else besides Classic and they said no. But you might be able to contact them and ask who their supplier is. And ppbenn...why is the electrician in your island? Did it get built around him?

Thanks again everyone...and esp Francoise, marti, Deedles, rhome, fishies, williamsem, ---all of you helped me through a lot of decision angst, whether you knew it or not.

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Second half
    thanks for the info I'm in eastern PA so have some closer options but your stone is just beautiful!
    Could we please see a peek of the marble?
    Oh you must be so excited!

• PRO
    Tom Carter
    11 years ago

LOL...there must be some GW group think going on here (we too are just finishing up with cream shaker cabs, same type of soapstone, similar sink and tap, and are going with cream 3x6 tiles...of course your choices are in impecible taste ;-)
    we are adding a few feature Motawi tiles over the range to give it some interest and add colour in a period appropriate style (1920's bungalow)
    caspian

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!!! Love the contrast with the soapstone and the cabinets! It is all coming together nicely!!!
    Love it!!

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

Wow...just beautiful!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing; it's beautiful!

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Secondhalf, I think your backsplash ideas sound perfect! When you can weave in something meaningful or something that makes everything feel just right, your kitchen will make you happy :-)

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Love your soapstone(and mine too), enjoy !!!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz