Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelcheex_gw

I'm about to have a meltdown on this jackass granite installer

Angelcheex
9 years ago

I'm so frustrated right now. My granite fabricator just showed me pix of how the granite is coming along and he made some cuts that I was not aware of. We went with the standard edge and he did mention that the inside corners would be rounded "a little bit". The pic he showed me loos like he put a big plate on the inside corner and cut around it. Then the corner that follows it (outside corner) is a 90 degree cut. WTF??? I flipped out and told him it looked bad and I was not anticipating that. He said that a 90 degree cut would create a dark spot b/c his filer doesn't go all the way into the cut and that he always does it like this. I've never seen this... ever. It looks horrible. I'm like about to cry and regretting doing my kitchen all together at this point. I need help! :(

Comments (36)

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"A little bit" should have been made more specific in your contract. I had to sign off on the details provided by my fabricator regarding corners, edges, sink cut-out, etc. before he began cutting the slabs. Have you checked your contract to see what is specified there?

• Angelcheex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't have a contract. This is someone my dad know - he's a contractor - and I didn't get one. I know, I'm an idiot. UGH!!!! So frustrated.

This is what the kitchen looks like right now.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

I definitely feel for you...but at least you are not Pumpkinhouse...maybe your Dad can work it out for you since it is his connection?

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is lovely. I can understand why you are disappointed since the corners are not what you expected. I do agree that they are more than a "little bit" rounded, but without an actual spec for the radius, such a remark is pretty subjective. I'm sorry I can't offer you any insight on why the corners have such a large radius. I have seen plenty of other rounded inside corners on this forum so it's not unusual to do them that way. I'm not sure what the standard radius is though. My own inside corner has a seam, so there is no radius there. Perhaps because your corner is seamless it necessitated a larger radius? I'm sure someone knowledgeable will chime in soon.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Where is that indented-with-curves section going in your kitchen?

• Angelcheex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Jellytoast.

I'm trying to see if my dad can influence him to fix it If not, I don't even know what to do.

• Angelcheex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The indentation goes over the dishwasher and half the lazy susan, then curves over the lazy susan and ends at the stove.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Angelcheex:

First, don't panic. All your objections are easily fixable, unlike if you had the opposite problem of too tight an inside radius.

"He said that a 90 degree cut would create a dark spot b/c his filer doesn't go all the way into the cutâ¦"

I've been in the countertop business for over 30 years and I have no idea what that quote means. What is a "filer"?

Some CNC edge profile bits have minimum sizes which means that the inside corner radius cannot be smaller than the bit itself. A 2" bit cannot profile an 1 1/2" inside radius.

I don't know whether or not this guy has a CNC, but those are relatively large radii anyway. They look fine to me, but I'm not paying. Any decent fabricator could cut, profile, and polish smaller radii on that job in a few hours, even by hand.

• itsthedetails
    9 years ago

Mine are rounded too, all I remember when the fabricator asked, I said a little rounded. I was kinda disappointed at first, but the fabricator did a outstanding installation. I don't notice them anymore, at first I was always looking at them. I even googled photos to see what everyone else rounded corners looked like.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

That is one beautiful stone.

Aggravating! At least it is excess material. Maybe they can straighten it out. That radius is quite an assumption on his part and far from a little bit, to be considered subjective, imo. Good grief. Wonder what his large radiuses look like.

Your kitchen is beautiful so far. You will get there and be back to "life" soon!

• Angelcheex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, Trebruchet! Well, he said it in spanish "pulir", which maybe I misinterpreted it when I posted. He was referring to not being able to polish it correctly, thus leaving a small dark spot that wouldn't get polished. He said that's why he doesn't do tight corners - they never come out right. I'm beginning to to think he doesn't know how.

• Angelcheex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks snookums2!

• Vertise
    9 years ago

"The indentation goes over the dishwasher and half the lazy susan, then curves over the lazy susan and ends at the stove."

Which means the other side of the sink will have one too, if I'm understanding correctly. You better stop the job before he does any other pieces with corners.

I understand why you don't like it. It gives a different feel and is less traditional looking. I would be very upset too.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

If I can freehand a radius with a standard profile in a retail store...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

â¦I'm sure your guy can freehand one in a shop.

The architect moved an oven and I had to bring him back into ADA compliance after he did.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"That radius is quite an assumption on his part and far from a little bit, to be considered subjective, imo."

I don't disagree! To me, a "little bit" of cake is one bite. To my DH, it's one slice. So it's always best to get an actual measurement (in writing!) to avoid misinterpretations.

Good to know the problem can be solved without much difficulty.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I understand, Jellytoast, and agree.

That radius looks fine for a store but I wouldn't want it for her style of kitchen.

• Angelcheex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah - that radius looks too commercial. Like something you would see at a customer service counter.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    9 years ago

I am a fabricator

The radius inside corner is typically a constraint imposed by the diameter of the CNC router bits for a given edge.

With a flat edge any decent fabricator should be able to give you a very small radius (like less than 1/2") on a flat edge.

The fabricator is at fault here for not educating you accurately on what to expect. This is a common issue that would be covered in enough detail by a good fabricator such that you would not be surprised.

make him fix it.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I actually like the rounded edges.

However, I don't think they match the rest of your kitchen (which, by the way, is lovely).

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Our fabricator radiused our one inside corner which came as a surprise to us, especially since it was a wide (deep?) radius. With the exception of our message center counter, which required special consideration (to allow our pantry cabinet doors to open fully), all other corners were to be softened 90ð angles. Hence our surprise. But, I asked them to "fix" it, and they cut the radiused corner onsite into something closer to 90ð. It did take a few visits for them to tweak the edge profile on the granite in that section (to match the rest of the counters). Also, if you look down the length of counter leading to that corner, you can see that the overhang veers slightly inward near the corner, but I doubt anyone else notices. Would rather it didn't, but still better than the original shape.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

On the bright side, your kitchen so far and your house generally (from what I can see of it) look very nice. And that won't change even if these counters were installed as-is.

• kiko_gw
    9 years ago

I know it wasn't what you were expecting, but doesn't it seem to really echo the arches above your doorway and windows? Serendipity?

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

well the work is beautiful (and awesome granite!) just not what you expected. That outside radius has to be 90 degrees if it is going against the stove, you don't notice that angle once it butts up to the stove.

I googled pictures of "bumped out sink" and about half of them have a larger radius like this and it looks fine in the setting of the finished cabinets. In fact the sharper angles looks less natural to me, more like an afterthought.

• Angelcheex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just wanted to post a follow up. I showed up at the shop yesterday morning and to my surprise, the radius was not as large in person as it looked in the picture. I even took a picture with my own camera and it looked horrible in the pic but not so bad in person. I still had him cut in a slightly smaller radius and left the rounded corners. We also had an issue with the sink wall angling in, so one side of the counter was wider by 1/8" to compensate - totally not noticeable, but he warned that making squared corners may make it more noticeable to me. He was actually nice about it and fixed it to my liking. So... here are some pics of the original radius at the shop and some pics of the installed granite with the smaller radius. I have to say that I am very happy with it, even with rounded corners and all

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

That is just gorgeous! I'm so pleased that it all worked out for you. Your kitchen is beautiful.

• rpets
    9 years ago

Hooooray!!! It looks gorgeous! So glad there is a happy ending :)

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! And I'm glad it worked out. It's more stressful working with someone who is a close contact to the family rather than a stranger!

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Oops, I guess you shouldn't have called him a "jackass installer". Better apologize.
    Your kitchen and countertops are gorgeous.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

What stove is that? I like its clean lines.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! Glad all is well!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

So glad it worked out! Your kitchen is beautiful, and looks very soothing and calm. I love the way the colors seem to melt together (very harmonious!).

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I am glad that you chose the Colonial Gold instead of the bolder patterns (I remember your other post) .It looks great with your cabinets and floor. Please be sure to come back and show us when it is all finished with tile (or not) and handles!

• Angelcheex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Raee - Thank you! I also stuck with the MOP brick pattern backsplash. It's not up yet, but it looks really nice with everything. I had a lot of feedback that everything would be too busy, but it all looks great to me. :) I'll definitely post the after. Also thinking about adding matching base and wall cabinets on a wall directly across the kitchen, but that's for another post.

Jillius - the stove is the Samsung NE58F9500SS

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Angelcheex:

How is your bar top supported?

• SaraKat
    9 years ago

I absolutely love your granite. Colonial Gold is getting hard to find around here. I just love it. Your kitchen looks beautiful, well done.. he did a good job making it the way you wanted it too! Yay!!