Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcward89

It's The Personal Touches That Make A Kitchen...

dcward89
9 years ago

My husband is a woodworker by hobby and years ago when he was learning different techniques he made this sweet little woodburning for me. I have always had it up in every kitchen we've had and I finally got it up in our new kitchen today. I absolutely LOVE my new kitchen...it's the best one I've ever had the pleasure of working in...but this put one of the finishing touches on it and makes it feel like "home". I have a few pieces from my Grandmother I will be using as well but this made me incredibly happy today.

I would love to see the personal touches that make all of your beautiful kitchens "home" to you.

Comments (12)

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Wow, that's beautiful!

I have a pig-shaped cutting board that belonged to my grandparents. My Dad's aunt rosemaled (Norwegian decorating painting) on it. I'll try to remember to take a pic when I get home!

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

Oh I love that woodburning, so pretty and detailed, and I'll bet his talent has only improved over the years. :)

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Wonderful! As a fellow woodworker, I can certainly appreciate his talent!
    My Dad was the cook in our family, which was rare for the '50s-'60s. He had a big ol' commercial stainless Magic Chef range with one red knob which controlled either the broiler or the oven.
    So, when I ordered my Blustar, how could I not?
    ... in memory of my Dad :)

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Ctycdm, love it! Dcward89, please tell us more about wood burnings, yours is strikingly beautiful.

We're DIY-ers, so the whole kitchen holds memories. It took us a few years, so we had time to optimize the space and implement 'aha' ideas. Those are our personal touches. Every cabinet, counter, angle, light, holds memories.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Here's my piggy:

• kathyannd
    9 years ago

I love your woodburning!! What a wonderful memory that is for you.

When we added on to our house, the exterior window over the sink was supposed to be removed, but that would have made the kitchen too dark. We replaced it with another window that I painted a cluster of flowers on. My husband and I etched the floral abd butterfly border - yes, he helped me with it! It looks into the entryway to our home. It's quite the conversation piece.

• plllog
    9 years ago

They're hard to see in the picture, but I have the bowls my father made on display. There are also two tone ceramic mixing bowls, a ceramic jug, and some brass cans. The ones that aren't those are the bowls. Top row from the left, #2 and #5, bottom row from left, #e and #g. #2 is a ginormous brown salad bowl. #5 is kind of a pedestal (also brown) with jagged bark sides. #e is a wave topped bowl, kind of carnelian color, the right size for nuts in the shell. #g is a more reasonably sized, dark red salad bowl. OTOH, most all the wonderful storage features in the kitchen are designs copied from my mother. :) I'd say they're both well represented. :)

The woodburning is beautiful. A treasure indeed!

• TB151
    9 years ago

I really couldn't agree more. I love the woodwork and the red Bluestar knob!

We have a few things which we did in our renovation. One was a blackboard which I made, and finished using the same dark stain we used on our island.

The other was a funny one, which came to me when we were doing our counter template. We have a BlueStar range as well and wanted a small bump out on either side of it. We used our son's lego piece!

• CTN30
    9 years ago

I keep my utensils in a big beer stein from my college (my husband and I met in college). It's kind of tacky and got tucked away when my old home was on the market, but it's become tradition for us.

ctycdm, I love your red knob, because I'm thinking of doing something similar with my BlueStar. Right now it has the standard black knobs, but I want to order a set of bright lime green knobs to pay homage to my childhood kitchen. My mom was a fantastic cook and never got around to updating the bright 70s era lime green formica counters in that kitchen before she died. When I think of her and that house, my mind immediately places us talking over coffee at the kitchen table. So I want my stove to be a little tribute to her that way.

• lcm_maine
    9 years ago

Prints and tea towels by a spectacular local artist who happens to be my niece.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

My mom's 1940's set of Pyrex mixing bowls, my grandma's Smiley Pig cookie jar, and my childhood Piggy Cook toy. When we redo our kitchen over the winter, I'm going to have a special lighted shelf for them.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

A quilt that my mom made and that my dad loved and had framed.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler