Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeebee_gw

Counter templating with poster board - acceptable?

zeebee
9 years ago

We had a failed first attempt at countertop installation today. We would like the fabricator-installer to try and correct the work, but neither DH nor I was surprised at the failure since there have been a few points of concern with the company. One was the templater making his templates with poster board. Now it was thick poster board, not the stuff the middle-school kids use for their school election posters, but poster board nonetheless, bendable and easily cut-able with a box cutter.

Is this an acceptable way for a professional to template? I've heard of plywood and guys who use laser distance measuring tools, but poster board?

Comments (13)

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Our was done with cardboard, tape, and a marker. Granite came out fine. We were given the templates and used them to cover the counters when finishing the kitchen.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

Ours was done with strips of something like cardboard that was hot glued. It came out fabulously. I think the are lots of methods to that all work.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

I used Christmas wrapping paper to make a cabinet top template. Worked great.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Poster board is perfectly acceptable. I've made hundreds of templates with it.

• zeebee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

(*sigh of relief*) Thanks for the reassurance, all. Good to know the problem wasn't with the templating method per se, but some other fault/failure along the way.

• CTN30
    9 years ago

Oh yeah, ours was done on paper, and the counters turned out perfect. We don't even have a seam.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

conversely ours was done by laser and was cut too short on both runs! good luck and hope it all goes well! i know its hard not to worry :(

• TB151
    9 years ago

Ours was done with small pieces of super thin "wood" I guess would be the best way to describe it. Also using glue to connect them and the counters came out awesome.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

TB151, that's balsa wood and its a very very typical way to template. Both of my last two remodels were done that way (two different fabricators).

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Ours was done with strips of thin plastic that was hot glued together. Counters were perfect.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

It's probably the fabricator/installer.

With that said, ours were done via heavy cardboard as well and they also were a disaster - especially the sink wall - the fabricator cut the pieces both too short and too shallow b/c either the templater did not make an accurate template or the fabricator messed up when s/he cut the stone. I have to say, though, that we had such a bad experience with that fabricator that I suspect it was them and not the templating method per se.

• kevdp4
    9 years ago

The method does not matter. A qualified shop can make accurate countertops no matter what template method they use.

• zeebee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again for everyone's input.

The templater came back today, remeasured everything and listened to our problems with the install. I suspect the problem was in the fabrication and not the templating, since you all have assured me that poster board is OK and the templater is one of the veterans of the company who is professional and seems extremely competent. Thus far, both the office manager and templater have been sympathetic and supportive about our complaints, and the templater agreed that there were fabrication errors in two of our four pieces of stone that were inexcusable. DH is supposed to hear from the head of the company later today about steps to correct the problems and try another installation.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia