Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Is ventilation necessary for gas range?

Posted by xrayjess (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 19, 08 at 16:54

Is ventilation necessary for gas ranges? We are doing a gas range in an island, but we don't want a ventilation hood hanging from the ceiling. We looked at the downdraft vent in the range, but we don't really like the look. I talked to one appliance man who suggested putting an in-line motor in the attic for a ventialtion system. I'm kindof confused on this option. Please I need HELP!!!


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Is ventilation necessary for gas range?

I don't know the official answer to this question, but we have a gas range in an island and didn't want a hood so have a fan in the ceiling. It's pretty powerful but it's way above the height recommended for exhaust fans. So far so good.


 o
RE: Is ventilation necessary for gas range?

Unlike 'most' gas furnaces, gas ranges don't require venting, they burn relatively clean, you can see the stove top flames, and even the oven is generally not used for more than a couple hours and would only present a danger if poorly adjusted and used as a heater. The fear is carbon monoxide from a poorly adjusted burner. Although natural gas is a clean burning fossil fuel, it may have contaminates that don't get burned off.--see this link

Ventilation is used to remove heat, smoke, steam and grease- and by products of burning gas (mostly steam and carbon dioxide)if it's burning clean-

This depends on how and what you cook. High heat, frying, greasy bacon, meats etc will create smoke that may bother you or your guests, steam up your windows,leave grease on your cabinets, and leave odors behind for days ... of course burnt food isn't fun either.. etc.


 o
RE: Is ventilation necessary for gas range?

My friend has a Viking rangetop on her island and a separate downdraft fan mounted directly behind the rangetop. This (I think it's a ) unit pops up when the motor turns on and drops back down when done. When not in use, it is very inconspicuous. All the major brands carry one.


 o
RE: Is ventilation necessary for gas range?

Thanks for everyones response!
Alexr, this makes me rethink switching to gas!!! With all of the Radon in granite causing cancer, now this!
Nuccis, I have seen these! They are very nice, but it will make us go over the budget (they are expensive, well atleast the ones I looked at)
Sue4993, is this like a powerful bathroom fan?? The appliance guy highly recommened using the in-line motor, but my concern is how will it look in the ceilling? Is your fan in the ceiling noticeable?


 o
RE: Is ventilation necessary for gas range?

Sorry xrayjess, just wanted to give all sides. The answer is you don't really need ventilation for most cooking. But it can be nice at times...no matter what the cooking heat source.


 o
RE: Is ventilation necessary for gas range?

xray,
Yes, the fan is visible. It's stainless, with two halogen lights and is more powerful than a bathroom fan, and larger. We were worried about how it would look, had asked if it could be painted (no, stainless can't be painted successfully) and now that the kitchen is finished, we don't mind it. It is obviously a fan but because of the two lights, it looks like a light fixture as much as anything else. It is flush with the ceiling. I think it is a Zephyr Tornado.


 o
RE: Is ventilation necessary for gas range?

How dry is your climate? How new/well-insulated is your house? In any case, I can't imagine not having good ventilation in a kitchen, especially with a gas range!!!

Anne


 o
RE: Is ventilation necessary for gas range?

I read on a ERV site that yes you do need to exhaust, the reason is natural gas burns clean as mentioned above, the end product is CO2 and H2O, cardon dioxide and water.
if you have 2 burner on full flame, you will produce a lot of CO2. Over time if you have a really TIGHT house, you need to vent out the CO2. if not the CO2 levels will rise in house.

A better solution is to put a ERV in. That should cycle enough air to keep the CO2 levels down.

I live in west Michigan and I don't have a vent for the gas burner but I have a REALLY leaky house so I am not worried about CO2 but on my earth contact basement/walkout I am putting in an ERV for radon.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here