Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xrayjess

Is ventilation necessary for gas range?

xrayjess
15 years ago

Is ventilation necessary for gas ranges? We are doing a gas range in an island, but we don't want a ventilation hood hanging from the ceiling. We looked at the downdraft vent in the range, but we don't really like the look. I talked to one appliance man who suggested putting an in-line motor in the attic for a ventialtion system. I'm kindof confused on this option. Please I need HELP!!!

Comments (8)

• sue4993
    15 years ago

I don't know the official answer to this question, but we have a gas range in an island and didn't want a hood so have a fan in the ceiling. It's pretty powerful but it's way above the height recommended for exhaust fans. So far so good.

• nuccia
    15 years ago

My friend has a Viking rangetop on her island and a separate downdraft fan mounted directly behind the rangetop. This (I think it's a ) unit pops up when the motor turns on and drops back down when done. When not in use, it is very inconspicuous. All the major brands carry one.

• xrayjess
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for everyones response!
    Alexr, this makes me rethink switching to gas!!! With all of the Radon in granite causing cancer, now this!
    Nuccis, I have seen these! They are very nice, but it will make us go over the budget (they are expensive, well atleast the ones I looked at)
    Sue4993, is this like a powerful bathroom fan?? The appliance guy highly recommened using the in-line motor, but my concern is how will it look in the ceilling? Is your fan in the ceiling noticeable?

• alexrander
    15 years ago

Sorry xrayjess, just wanted to give all sides. The answer is you don't really need ventilation for most cooking. But it can be nice at times...no matter what the cooking heat source.

• sue4993
    15 years ago

xray,
    Yes, the fan is visible. It's stainless, with two halogen lights and is more powerful than a bathroom fan, and larger. We were worried about how it would look, had asked if it could be painted (no, stainless can't be painted successfully) and now that the kitchen is finished, we don't mind it. It is obviously a fan but because of the two lights, it looks like a light fixture as much as anything else. It is flush with the ceiling. I think it is a Zephyr Tornado.

• jimandanne_mi
    15 years ago

How dry is your climate? How new/well-insulated is your house? In any case, I can't imagine not having good ventilation in a kitchen, especially with a gas range!!!

Anne

• stockrex
    15 years ago

I read on a ERV site that yes you do need to exhaust, the reason is natural gas burns clean as mentioned above, the end product is CO2 and H2O, cardon dioxide and water.
    if you have 2 burner on full flame, you will produce a lot of CO2. Over time if you have a really TIGHT house, you need to vent out the CO2. if not the CO2 levels will rise in house.

A better solution is to put a ERV in. That should cycle enough air to keep the CO2 levels down.

I live in west Michigan and I don't have a vent for the gas burner but I have a REALLY leaky house so I am not worried about CO2 but on my earth contact basement/walkout I am putting in an ERV for radon.