Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagoerin

mixing adel white with lidi gray??? help

chicagoerin
10 years ago

Hi, I have only seen the adel white in person, not the lidi gray. I want my island cabs to be gray. Would be cheaper to find an ikea one that I like vs painting an adel white gray (having it sprayed) what are my options? would lidi gray look strange with adel white? should I try Scherr's? thanks

Comments (8)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Adel white is a foil finish, so it would be extremely difficult to paint.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with the color combination of the gray and the white, but I don't care for the styles together (although I like either on its own), but that's just my opinion. YMMV.

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

get the white Adel for the bulk of your kitchen if that is your final choice...... Figure out which carcass sizes for the island and get Ikea carcasses and Scherr's doorsin a style that work with the Adel white,but unfinished[raw] . Have them painted locally whatever gray shade you want. Scherr's will even drill holes for the hinges from Ikea....if it's drawer base cabs on the island...you can vary the edge profiles and detailing on those drawer fronts with all the styles from Scherrs....each tweak is just a cost point more but having them painted locally will probably save you some.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Do you like Lidi white? It's really nice. Even though it's more expensive than Adel white, it might be cheaper overall than getting stuff sprayed.

You could paint the Adel MB. I think that might be more successful than trying to paint the white.

I don't personally think I'd mix the two door styles.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Lidi grey is pretty hot. If I had to guess I'd say it had a sliiiiiight violet undertone. For me personally it would probably be too dark to do a kitchen in, but I'd love it on lowers or an island.

• wolverine2
    10 years ago

There is a picture on houzz of a kitchen and they painted the Adel cabinets a light grey for the island. It looks great. It doesn't say whether they painted white or medium brown cabinets. I am not sure I'd like the mixing of styles with the lidi.

Here is a link that might be useful: [IKEA Adel painted cabinets on houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/ikea-adel-white-traditional-kitchen-toronto-phvw-vp~1264746)

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks!! i love this look. wonder if they did anything special to the cab before spraying?

• wolverine2
    10 years ago

Yea, it doesn't say how they prepped it, only that it was sprayed with grey lacquer. Guess it can be done though! You could get sample doors in the white and medium brown and consult w/a paint person to see what might work best.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

It would definitely be easier to paint the medium brown, since that's wood, while the white is thermofoil, MUCH harder to paint.