Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Romantic kitchens?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I was looking on the Internet, and apparently, romantic kitchens are one of the new design trends. I do like the old fashioned, country/cottage style, with beams etc. I also like cream cabinetry, to let more light in and I do like pastels...so maybe this style (minus a few frou frou details) is kind of what I'm looking for.

Actually, I thought my style was early Disney (especially Snow White's cottage) brought up to date, with you know, plumbing, etc. Seriously, is this cottage, romantic, old world casual...maybe if I knew what to call it, I could find some better examples for inspiration kitchens.

Perfect example...I was just looking for images to attach, to give you all an idea of what I'm talking about (with those tiny pictures that you click on) and I ended up with doll house furniture! This is sad. LOL I'm not talking about some Disney princess look with pink and purple...but the actual old fashioned cottage with little built in window seats and hutches, a few beams overhead, etc.

Here's a link to some french kitchens. Usually, when I google french kitchen, I get a lot more roosters and toile, but these are more simple. I really like the second and third pictures, but I prefer the beams like in the first picture.

So is this romantic kitchen? Thanks for any suggstions, inspiration pics or ideas :)

Here is a link that might be useful: French kitchens

Comments (26)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found this on the Bewitched thread. This is a really neat kitchen, although I'm not a fan of the tile behind the Aga and the layout seems a little impractical...but the back stairs, plate racks, open shelves, see-through glass cabinets and back door are really nice. The conservatory is kind of cool, too...as well as the little potager garden outside. The main rooms and front stairs have some interesting details, but too dark and formal for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Practical Magic Kitchen

• plllog
    13 years ago

What do you think? Too much?

Too grand?

Too unfitted?

• Susan
    13 years ago

well, i like it all, with the exception of that mini cow--that's kinda creepy imo!

• steff_1
    13 years ago

The French kitchens are nice, but the pictures are showroom perfect and the light looks artificial so they appear a little cold. I've attached my favorite French kitchen site and it's more realistic. I don't think there are many toiles and roosters in there, if any at all.

Like the Practical Magic Kitchen too.

That's a real Cottage Kitchen in the first one, Plllog. Love the floor in the second one, I want that for my bathroom. Too unfitted for me everyday, but might work for a vacation cottage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuisines Provencales

• byronroad
    13 years ago

Boy, kitchens really are an "each to his own" aren't they. I look at these kitchens and see nothing but clutter that needs to be put away (or recycled or thrown away). This comment from someone in the creamy white kitchen camp with everything put away.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I guess I need my eyes checked because I thought it was a live cat on the counter and not a cow, lol. Neither choice thrills me, but I'd prefer the cow ;)

I think what you want are ceilings with beams, rough plaster walls and an unfitted look to some extent. Those seem to be the common denominator. I think they are charming.

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

ROFL! I agree about the cow!

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

It seems to me that you might find what you like by searching Old World kitchens, or, more specifically, French country kitchens.

Here's a link to a description of Old World interior design: http://interiordesign.lovetoknow.com/Old_World_Style_Interior_Design

And here's a link to a description of French country kitchen design: http://interiordesign.lovetoknow.com/French_Country_Kitchens

I hope that helps!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Did a google and found this site, among others. Makes me think of what I've been thinking of as 'Swedish Style'/Gustavian style in many ways but without pale colors. Those jolts from highly decorated items, classical references, a mix of "old-fashioned" eras but not Craftsman, not Deco, not Victorian, not Nouveau, not a lot of things. European Chateau/Country House/Estate with a coziness and intimacy that usually is not there.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Beautiful

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

It seems you are especially drawn to the beams? That makes me think another keyword for your image searches is "rustic."

Yes, it'll probably give you lots of lodge/log cabin images you won't like, but you may stumble upon some gems. :)

Perhaps you already know you can buy beam skins (with various degrees of distressing) to "wrap" a beam. There is an image I'm thinking of (but can't find at the moment, I'll look a bit more) that shows a neat kitchen featuring some of this type of millwork.

Here is a link that might be useful: beams

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions and pictures :)

I've tried looking under country, rustic, cottage and all of the above. French and english cottage sometimes gets a few hits, but the ones I showed you are probably some of my favorites.

I do like beams (at least a few) on the ceiling, a nice stove of some kind with some architectural interest behind it and plate racks, open shelves, a nice window over the sink and a table and chairs...maybe even a fireplace or woodstove in one corner and a comfy chair or two.

The one thing I've noticed is that a lot of these kitchens don't have an island, but use the table and chairs, instead. I don't know how practical this is, but it does give more of an unfitted look to the room. A few built-in cabinets or Welsh cupboard/buffet type of storage is nice, too. I've checked unfitted kitchen, too, but sometimes it's a little too rustic, even for me! LOL

Plllog- Your first kitchen looks like a hobbit kitchen, with a little more curvey shelves. I actually like the hobbit house in Lord of the Rings...it reminds me of an old fashioned cottage, with round doors and windows, but still the nice fireplaces, built-ins, storage, I think it had a window seat/bench...and the table and chairs in the kitchen, rather than an island.

For now, I'm going to keep looking, but if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. Thanks again :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

Lavender,

As far as places to look, try the archives and or house tours on apartment therapy, ell decor, county living, coastal living, even AD...

Look for english and french design mags. Look online at villas to rent in england, france, Italy.

I think romance comes from "impracticality." Think old worn oriental rugs on the floor. Wooden counters. Upholstered chairs or benches. Candles, baskets, cloches, as opposed to tile, granite, wood and plastic.

It also means personality ... Art, textiles, antiques, flowers, fruit,

You rarely see uppers, backslashes, or islands...

But i think you can do all this and still have a very useful kitchen .... They do!

Ps here's a great blog.... Scroll to bottom right to select "kitchens"

Here is a link that might be useful: Great country romantic design

• skyedog
    13 years ago

Did you try googling french FARMHOUSE kitchens? Ironically, with the addition of the word farmhouse I didn't get any roosters or toile in my attempts. I can't figure out how to post pics from a web page so I posted a link to an example to see if this is what you were thinking about. Of maybe this is too colonial for you and it's just my idea of romantic.

I rarely comment on decorating posts (warning: my living room walls are painted conch) but after watching and cleaning up after six hockey games and one soccer game this weekend I thought I could use a break.

Here is a link that might be useful: french farmhouse kitchen

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mtnrdredux- Great ideas! Thank you for the blog, I'll look through it when I have more time this week :)

Skyedog- I love the blue Aga. The #10 kitchen is really nice...especially if I replaced the cream stove with that blue Aga! I like the plates displayed in both kitchens.

I'm adding a link to a kitchen that I really like, but without the fireplace in the middle of the cabinets, of course, and just simple beams, rather than the fancy ceiling. I love the tiles and the cabinets, but I'd rather have a wooden table, than the island...and of course, that blue Aga would look nice in this kitchen, too! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dennylyon
    13 years ago

kitchen should be according to the person choice. style of kitchen can be improve with the beautiful curtains.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackout curtains

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

You know, I was just thinking about how if I installed blackout curtains in my kitchen, it would really look romantic. And then wow, dennylyon the spammer showed up with the same idea! wow.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

Nothing says old world romance like blackout curtains. That Denny always has the most clever ideas!

Here is a link that might be useful: Get lost spammers

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Lavenderlass - What an interesting post. That kitchen is something elusive that you can't put your finger on it, but several here have hit the features -- unfitted, open shelves, less uppers, different colors and tones, glass cabinets, farm/barn elements (beams, barn light fixtures), light, open, large windows, rustic metals (iron, copper), hearth-like stove.

For me it is that feeling that the kitchen has evolved over several lifetimes and a focus on soft, natural material accents (baskets, wood counters, etc.) The effect is a cozy, warm spot where people feel comfortable gathering. These are the kitchens I was also drawn to, but was not sure how to pull it off and make my not-large kitchen practical. A hearth-like stove would eat into storage space, a farm table has no cabinet space below. There is definitely as sense of wimsy or "impracticality" that mtnrdredux mentions (and great blog link :) I also think it is very challenging to recreate in a new space and could be very time consuming to find the right pieces and configurations...

Things from the old layout (house modest turn of the century) I wanted to keep were impractical in our new layout - I sacrificed romance for storage space. I put in an island because I needed additional lowers - but added table legs and have seating on three sides to mimic a table. The result is something more streamlined than romantic. I don't regret my choices but still admire the lovely kitchen show here.

I found this kitchen when looking for Halloween inspiration for a thread linked below.

I also love Antiquesilver's kitchen, a GWer.

Good luck and I look forward to see you realize your vision.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiring kitchens for halloween

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the kind of kitchen I'd like to have. I guess I'd call it french cottage or romantic french, but I love everything about it :)

{{gwi:617005}}

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Definitely French Provincial, American version.

Pierre Deux is a great resource for that look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pierre Deux

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link, Steff...and giving me a name for the style :)

• blondie859111
    13 years ago

Lav,
    Check out the link below and see if it fits the bill. It's a cabinet I am looking at called French Villa Arched. I know arched cabinets are not exactly the rage right now, but to me this is romantic. I'm thinking of white with a pewter glaze.

Here is a link that might be useful: French Villa Arched

• murphysview
    13 years ago

I saw some neat pictures on the site below Great pictures of different types of luxury kitchens and some great suggestions on the things that go into a great kitchen.

I just finished redoing my kitchen - good luck, but stay the course, it is absolutely worth doing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luxury Kitchens

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Blondie- I like your cabinets...they're going to look wondeful in your new kitchen :)

Murphysview- Thanks for the link...and the encouragement! LOL

• adel97
    13 years ago

lavaderlass, you always start interesting threads!

I'm ROTFL at byronroad's comment. I feel exactly the same way! I can see the appeal in these kitchens and I think they would be lovely to visit but for my own home I feel most at peace in an uncluttered space. It probably has something to do with personality types... Having said all that I think all the ceiling beams are amazing! They really ground the space.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sharonite- I know, it's interesting that everyone has their own style or what they feel comfortable around. Thank goodness, or we'd all have the same kitchen, which would get rather boring! LOL