Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbres_gw

Granite Seams Placed over dishwasher

CBres
10 years ago

We have dealt with a Granite Co. and have many issues.
1) choose the granite, we were supposed to go back to see the placement and cutting. we were never asked.
2) we have 2 long seams, one at the sink & the other at the dishwasher, total length of granite is 16'. one seam is 1' from sink, the other is over the dishwasher. within a month the caulking over the dishwasher swelled as it was heated from the dishwasher. after several months of this happening the caulking fell through the seam and the granite shifted opening up a wider seam and causing the edges to become uneven.
3) the granite co. stated someone was standing on it for it to shift, totally a false statement.
4) when placing the granite, the installers cut and gouged our drywall - even over the range.
5) there is a chip in the peninsula area, the installer stated, i can fix it, but it will only come out again.
6) the "pieced" together or if you want to call it seamed granite does not flow nicely at all.
7) we have had the owner come to our home to see the damage and he has one excuse after the other.
ANY PROFESSIONAL advice is so needed! the company would like to come out again and reset and fix the granite.

Comments (3)

• athomesewing
    10 years ago

When I had a LOT of questions about how fabrication and installation 'should' be done, I found great information (including acceptable repairs) at the MIA publication, link provided below.

Here is a link that might be useful: MIA Stone Fabrication standards

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I think you will get much better advice if you can post a pic of each seam and one of the whole kitchen. That way people can see what you are dealing with in terms of flow of the stone and also where the seams should have been placed.

You should also specify what type of granite you have.

• chickadee4
    10 years ago

It was truly upsetting to read your post CBres.
    I was hoping a professional would have chimed in .
    Having worked with contractors in several states from moving so frequently I have many battle scars.
    Counters can have seams around the sink but not over dishwashers. Counter seams should fall over a solid cabinet foundation and not an open area.
    HAving installed three dishwashers , the dishwasher should have a strip to prevent steam from entering under the counter.
    When problems surface in any of my projects I think who owns them and how to fix it.
    I would contact your installer with the problem verbally and registered mail. I would also photograph the issues with pictures from several angles. Instead of letting a contractor give me a song and dance I list the options and I file a small claim. It costs a few dollars to submit versus the headache you endure and the subpar installation.

I had scheduled the counter and faucet installation back to back. I did not know the counter's glue needed hours to dry. I Inspected the site after the counters were installed . The plumbers were toe tapping to get started. At the end of their installation I saw that the lower kitchen sink cabinet had splintered/a 1/2 inch peice had splintered. The plumber denied crushing the cabinet. He blamed the counter installer. I held back 500 dollars off the bill and documented the damage and events. The plumber's screw driver dug into the cabinet when he was under it. I was disgusted how quickly he lied. I now take photos of all before and after repair work with the construction person in the photo.
    I hope someone will chime in with a better way to handle this but I would call your installer, tell him the obvious and file at small claims court. I would also call the BBB .
    I don't know of any other options.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert