Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stainless Steele over exhisting counters - what any sink?

Posted by mommabird (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 16:34

I have decided I want stainless kitchen counters. I can have a local shop fabricate them to be adhered over my Formica counters. I'd don't know what to do about the sink. The current one is ivory and very chipped and rusting around the lip. I want an under mount sink. Can I have the stainless wrap around the edges where the sink would be? Can you have an under mount sink with stainless steel counter tops?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stainless Steele over exhisting counters - what any sink?

Since you're retrofitting, I'm not sure but if your fabricator has any experience with counters, she can probably weld in a sink you purchase that fits the hole (once you pull out the old one) or even fabricate you one from scratch. The last stainless counter I had installed wasn't really very different from what you're doing. My GC put down the substrate and the stainless guy came in and templated. It might have well have been an old laminate counter!

Pin down the fabricator and ask if they can weld in a sink or custom fabricate one. It should be not much different from doing a job from scratch.

o

We did this, and pulled out the top-mounted sink to start. We also cut out a spot for an integrated drainboard. The fabricator made us a sink that is integrated as well, so we could choose the exact dimensions. That was really nice for us, as we got an insanely shallow wide sink to allow my very tall husband to easily work there.

Any fabricator worth their salt fabricates sinks regularly. They can also weld in a sink for you...it's just up to you how you want to deal with that.

o

Thank you so much! I love the idea of just integrating in the sink.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here